Bulk Loading Tips

Name
Matt
Edit My Images
No
Following a switch to black and white I've dived right in and bought a bulk roll of hp5 and a computrol bulk loader.

Any tips for getting the film inside the bulk loader? I've tried in vein to find a video showing the actual loading but I guess there wasn't anyone stupid enough to ruin 100ft of film for the purposes of a youtube video.

Since the first time I try this will be in the dark, I'm a little apprehensive...

Will end of the hp5 be taped? How do I break the seal?

For joining the film to the film canister spool, will ordinary cellotape do?

I did find a thread saying that hp5 bulk rolls jam in computrol bulk loaders, but I guess I'll cross that bridge when I get to it!

Not since the early 70s, and that's more than enough time for things to change. In those days, you opened 35mm cassettes by running your fingernail round the paper which held the easily removeable cassette end in place - no bottle openers or special tools required. The film in those days wasn't even HP4 - it was HP3. My loader (I still have it) is a Watson, but not the flimsy one with red/orange parts. SO, yes, I've done it; but whether the film is taped (I suspect it is) I wouldn't know. The only tricky part with the Watson was making sure that the internal light trap was open when you put the film in; whether your load works the same way, I also don't know.

Oatcake,

If you are using a changing bag it's easy enough to load the film & there is usually a piece of tape on the bulk load which comes off easily enough. Any tape that is strong & thin can be used to attach the film to the spool, That parts done in daylight / subdued light so shouldn't be a problem. Practice a few times putting the cassettes together & be careful as they can have some sharp edges but the knack is soon learned.
Regards Toonie

I used to do that, load my own cassettes from my own bulk loader filled from a tin. No darkroom, just a dark bag with light-tight sleeves I put my arms in through, and just in case, operated it in the evening in a dimly lit room. I'd put all the stuff I thought I needed into the dark bag, having thought carefully about how I'd explore the options and discover stuff, then I'd put my hands in and blindly start off exploring. Whenever I encountered a problem, such as needing scissors or a sticky tape dispenser I hadn't got in the bag, I'd turn off all the lights, remove my hands, fold over the sleeves, on with the lights, get the extra stuff ready, by the sleeves, off with the lights, carefully insert the extra stuff and my hands back into the bag, and carry on. One of the keys to success was carefully arranging how I would layout all the bits in separate places inside the bag before I started, and being meticulous about putting everything back into place.

So the first time I did anything it could easily take an extra hour of faffing around while I explored unexpected problems and tried to devise solutions which would work blind by feel in the dark, maybe even postponement until another day when I'd got whatever extra I needed or looked up some more tips.

Caution.
It's about 30 years since I've done this. Got cocky and loaded more film into the casette, well it fitted.
Fine until I came to load the developing tank. Ran out of spiral before I ran out of film...

I did my first roll last night, worked a treat and was much easier than expected. First attempt saw the film come through under the sprockets instead of over but that was easily corrected back in the changing bag. Thanks for your help!

I read this thread and meant to answer but got distracted by something shiny, sorry. :facepalm:

Glad you got on alright. My experience was with an AP loader and a roll of HP5+, which I've since replaced with some PanF-alike (apparently) that I got from the 'bay. I put it up for sale a few weeks ago but with no takers I was thinking about keeping it and trying the film I put in there. As long as I don't mention it to herself, I think I might get away with it. :whistle:

Glad it went OK for you, it's far more years than I care to remember since I loaded bulk film. I seem to recall (possibly incorrectly!) the important bit was to ensure the 'gate' was closed on the bulk film compartment before opening the trap door to insert or remove a film cartridge, otherwise it would fog the whole reel. I think my Computerol bulk loader (which I still have somewhere) had some form of lever that was meant to prevent the trap door being opened with the bulk compartment gate open, but I always double checked this just in case.

My memory of bulk film is returning a bit now, I'm pretty sure it was Barfen E6 slide film I used to load; not bad stuff if I remember correctly. Anyone else remember that?

Last edited:
Back