Bumble Bee

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
Still getting my head around focusing but considering it was taking on the 75-300 at 4.9ft min focusing distance, not too bad.
I really want a good macro lens.

normal_IMG_5015-01.jpg

the macro function of the sigma lens i have is the reason i bought it, its very useable if you can keep the damn thing still!

Maybe consider using a set of extention tubes to reduce the minimum focus distance?

Also for the future whenever photographing wildlife try to get the subjects face/eyes in or at least capture them from the front, this makes for a much more interesting photograph.

Its far easy said than done though, wildlife often doesn't play the game and can be the bain of a photographers life. Thats why I stick to inanimate objects for my subjects ;)

I'm no expert but I tend to use manual focus. The subject you're shooting tends to be fairly large in comparison to the focus point and autofocus tends to result in the sharp focus being on the wrong part as Steve says.

I also find it's easier in the evening when temperatures are falling as they slow down, although you've less light and need flash. Nothing's easy is it?? ;)

I'd have been tempted to crop this shot into a portrait format and get rid of the unnecessary foliage on the right.

Steve...

I wasn't hanging about for the little blighter to turn around and look at me...I'm petrified of bees, even at 4.9ft :shock: but I agree with your comment.

Dod...

I have only this week started to try out manual focus for the very reasons you state!

I made a deliberate decision to leave the foiliage on the right as I felt it added a little '3D' depth to the shot, and as most of my stuff ends up on the web, my portrait orientation shots look a little lost!

I have only been here 24 hours and have learned soooo much already!

I appreciate the honest between the eyes opinions here!

if everyone tells you everything is great you wont learn anything!

in the 6 months weve been running, ive learnt more than in the previous 12 months spent trawling the net, spread the word!

Bachs said:
I made a deliberate decision to leave the foiliage on the right as I felt it added a little '3D' depth to the shot, and as most of my stuff ends up on the web, my portrait orientation shots look a little lost!

Hope you don't mind but I tried it as a portrait format anyway :p It's just my opinion but I think it concentrates the focus of the photo more on the bee. Just say if you want me to take it down :)

normal_IMG_5015-1.jpg

That really works!!!

For the record, I don't mind anyone playing around with any of my posted images as long as they don't turn up in Time Magazine with your name on it (fat chance :shock: )

Back