Bumping into others taking photos

Name
Jon
Edit My Images
Yes
For the third time in about as many days, I have bumped into a person taking photos, and they have ignored me. I was out this morning in the park with my camera, and I met a person with an impressive looking camera and tripod, and a serious looking lens.

He was on the same path as me and he spotted me with my camera, he quickly looked down at his LCD screen, and then veered off the path towards some trees. He waited till I had passed then came back on the path, and towards a little flowing stream that I had just been taking photos of.

I used to get paranoid and think it was because I had a basic old entry level camera, and they are worried I may ask them loads of questions, but they don't even get that close to notice my camera :thinking:

You may be seeing it a little OTT yes, but don't worry about it, I mean you wouldn't expect every car driver to approach every other car driver for a chat about cars. Just like us Motorcyclists on TP we don't speak to each other just because we all ride bikes, ...its kinda weird to think badly of him just because he avoided you I think.

You may be seeing it a little OTT yes, but don't worry about it, I mean you wouldn't expect every car driver to approach every other car driver for a chat about cars. Just like us Motorcyclists on TP we don't speak to each other just because we all ride bikes, ...its kinda weird to think badly of him just because he avoided you I think.

:plus1: He might have not long purchased his kit and perhaps worried you might ask him things he did not know the answer to :shrug: Nothing wrong with that if that is the case.

yes I suppose you are right, just that I was thinking on the lines of an Angler. When I used to do fishing a few years back, you would always nod and say something like, fish are not bighting today, or great spot over the other side of the lake. Or catch many today etc :)

I usually say hello to other photographers.
But on the other hand, if I'm trying to get a shot set up then I want to be left alone and find it annoying and inconsiderate to be distracted by being asked questions.

I think the best plan is to wait till they take a break in their shooting, then say hello :)

if I'm trying to get a shot set up then I want to be left alone and find it annoying and inconsiderate to be distracted by being asked questions.

Yes that's another very good point, but I would never make myself a pain in the backside by trying to ask loads of questions. Just a friendly hello and a nod, and a chance to check out his equipment :)

hmm I could have worded that last bit a little better :thinking:

you could have worded it better but maybe that is what he was worried about, has he heard those rumours about you? :)

People usually talk to me and I feel guilty as I want to be left alone :) I wouldn't actually avoid anyone by ducking into the trees though.

I'm happy to say a quick hello as it's only polite but I don't want to talk about gear.

Weird one that, i know some photographers dont want to be disturbed while working, especially when they are in the "zone" so to speak, maybe he did see you and got the impression you might disturb him perhaps. I wouldn't take it personal

Strangers meet me and start talking about photography and probably wish they hadn't.. I can talk the hind legs off a donkey when I get going.. strangers or not.. I aint shy :)

People usually talk to me and I feel guilty as I want to be left alone :) I wouldn't actually avoid anyone by ducking into the trees though.

I'm happy to say a quick hello as it's only polite but I don't want to talk about gear.

Ok so the general theme is, when we are out taking photos we want to be left alone, maybe just a quick nod..But ducking and diving is a little silly :wacky:

Well after all I may not like getting asked loads of questions, especially if I could not answer them. But a friendy nod yep why not , going out your way to avoid a fellow snapper / photographer is rather silly :shrug:

Last edited:
I hate people talking to me when I'm working on something; the attention just embarasses me, really. I'd have hidden too.

Maybe he wanted to wait til you'd gone so he could shoot the same scene that you just did.

Don't take it personally!

I hate people talking to me when I'm working on something; the attention just embarasses me, really. I'd have hidden too.

Maybe he wanted to wait til you'd gone so he could shoot the same scene that you just did.

Ok so you will talk to me on here, but not in the park ! I am not going out of my way to talk to anyone if I see them taking photos. Just that I have seen photographers going out of their way to avoid me, and probably anyone else with a DSLR, not sure if they would do this with compact shooters :shrug:

Next time I see someone being silly and scurrying off behind the trees, I will take a photo and shout spotted you :D

Strangers meet me and start talking about photography and probably wish they hadn't.. I can talk the hind legs off a donkey when I get going.. strangers or not.. I aint shy :)

:LOL:

(y)

Ok so the general theme is, when we are out taking photos we want to be left alone, maybe just a quick nod..But ducking and diving is a little silly :wacky:

Well after all I may not like getting asked loads of questions, especially if I could not answer them. But a friendy nod yep why nod , going out your way to avoid a fellow snapper / photographer is rather silly :shrug:

Maybe not, like what if their was a bird in a tree which he would do anything to avoid you scaring it away..even if he did look silly or rude..A photo of it may have been his only priority. anyway don't worry about it, all people act oddly from time to time, he might have just been having an bad day. :)

That's so likely, Its a common for any serious photographer to hide what it is there shooting from other photographers ..it all gets a bit battle like when it comes down to it. ...Its mine, all mine, nothing to see here! :cautious: :D

People with DSLRs (even pro models) are pretty ubiquitous where I am. If I stopped and spoke to every photographer I came across I'd never actually get any photography done.

Another thing is that when I'm out and about with a camera I really don't want to be interrupted as I tend concentrate on the task in hand. So, I generally assume that other photographers won't want to be embroiled in a conversation either.

Edit: it's a different matter, however, if I bump into a fellow togger in the pub ;)

Last edited:

Yes. Mostly :D Thinking about it I'd be happy to chat with someone who was friendly and enthusiastic about the subject or even the gear, but I've never bumped into anyone like that when out with my camera. Usually I bump into groups of yoofs with 50mp mobile phone cameras or people with 7D's and 70-200mm L lenses who want to tell me why primes are sooo limiting and how they only buy L's :puke: :D

Ducking into trees is a litte much though but I suppose when you've gotta go you've gotta go :D

Don't take it personally, many people today are completely anti-social and many more have no inter-personal skills. If someone with a mutual interest can't be bothered to offer a simple "hello" or "good morning" as they are walking along then they probably fall into one of those categories.

just waiting for an "i was in the park the other day and had to hide in a bush to avoid someone who im sure was following me" thread.

I dont mind saying hello and walking on and at times having a a chat, but not long ago i was trying to set a shot up, the light was going and some guy strolled up and started chatting and just would not shut up, me being the polite sort chatted back and this went on for a good half hour till he and the light wandered off. I wouldnt dive into the trees to avoid someone but if ive got my eye to the viewfinder i dont really want someone creeping up behind me and trying to chat.

i dont really want someone creeping up behind me and trying to chat.
Neither would I want anyone creeping up behind me trying to chat. But I was not creeping up behind this fella, I was simply walking along the path towards another part of the park with my camera and my dog.

Just so happens there were other people walking along this path also. A dog walker who passed by and we both nodded and said good morning and carried on our ways. We did not stop and say, how much did your dog cost you and were did you get it, and what sort of dog biscuits does your dog like!

And a camera fella, who gave me wide berth

I would have treated the camera fella just the same, I would have simply said good morning and carried on my way. I would not have blurt out what ya takin pictures of, what size lens is that, did you get that tripod from Jessops etc :LOL:

I'm always more than happy to say "Good morning/afternoon" but then when I'm out and about I'm not being paid to take pictures. I guess if one is working then it's different.

Jon I just noticed you are from the Liverpool area, perhaps he was a "Southerner / Londoner" pretty much trained from birth to not converse in public :D

Seriously though all people are different, don't take it personally(y)

David

I've noticed a lot of people walk around looking at screens these days, or wearing headphones/earplugs :|

Wasn't me was it? :LOL:

I agree with the whole wanting to shoot the same thing train of thought. I was down the beach the other day with the intention of photographing the sea defences at Burbo Bank. They are made up of debris from destroyed buildings from the Blitz. Really interesting. There was another fella there snapping away. I could have gone up to him but left him to it. There's loads of things on that beach to take photos. I waited until he strolled off and went about my business.

Sometimes people stop me when I'm out in the city centre but it's mostly tourists who want me to take their photo in front of the Cavern :LOL:

I often dive into bushes/trees when I see people.
To be fair, it's normally because I'm geocaching as well as taking photos and not just being rude!

Jon I just noticed you are from the Liverpool area, perhaps he was a "Southerner / Londoner" pretty much trained from birth to not converse in public
I did think he could have been a Southerner, it reminded me of the time I went to visit my brother in London. I said to him why are Southerners so weird, because if I ask them directions they look at me as tho I am weird? He laughed and said well down here you are weird, because down here they don't talk to strangers or neighbours :shrug: Now I don't want to start a North South thing :nono:

I often dive into bushes/trees when I see people.
To be fair, it's normally because I'm geocaching as well as taking photos and not just being rude!
Well I would not call it rude, I would call it silly. I am not going to stop you and start gabbing to you, I will simply say good morning / afternoon/ evening that's all, as I would do to any other person.

But if you are not convinced that I want to bombard you with loads of questions, and I want to tag along with you. Then you too can give me a wide berth. You will see me coming from a mile away, I wear a bright yellow hi vis fluorescent jacket. I also have a terrible overbite, I have a funny walk and I have a badge on my jacket saying nerd :nuts:

I am not offended by all this, I just think it's funny thats all ;)

just waiting for an "i was in the park the other day and had to hide in a bush to avoid someone who im sure was following me" thread.

I was in a park the other day and this bloke kept following me around. I had the impression he was waiting until it was quiet and then he was going to rob me of my expensive stuff. I legged it into the bushes as he made his move which threw him completely and I got away. Close call...

:D

I was brought up to be polite. Usually I just say good morning etc.

The best is when you get a bunch of youths. "Nice camera mate, take my picture". So many responses flash through my mind so I'm either jokey back to them "why are you famous?" or sometimes actually pose them and shoot. Quite funny to let them gansta pose, them actually get them posing differently.

The best is when you get a bunch of youths. "Nice camera mate, take my picture". So many responses flash through my mind so I'm either jokey back to them "why are you famous?"
I try to adapt to whatever situation arises, and while I am not nervous I do tend to keep my eyes and ears open. As this helps trying to locate the next shot, and possible trouble (y)

I tend to ignore other photographers cause lets face it you are a bunch of geeky sad bearded blokes lol

For the third time in about as many days, I have bumped into a person taking photos, and they have ignored me. I was out this morning in the park with my camera, and I met a person with an impressive looking camera and tripod, and a serious looking lens.

He was on the same path as me and he spotted me with my camera, he quickly looked down at his LCD screen, and then veered off the path towards some trees. He waited till I had passed then came back on the path, and towards a little flowing stream that I had just been taking photos of.

I used to get paranoid and think it was because I had a basic old entry level camera, and they are worried I may ask them loads of questions, but they don't even get that close to notice my camera :thinking:

Some people like to be left alone when shooting, others are more sociable.
It may be in the past he's had hassle from a passing photographer. I had one "attach" himself to me and a mate and follow us around for over an hour, now I'm a fairily sociable sort of guy but this got on my wick, my mate wanted to clobber him by the time we got rid of him. That started by him just coming over and chatting, and us being friendly. Next time we'd probably avoid any photographers if we could, just to make life easier for ourselves.

Lovely day with a nice blue sky, camera fully charged, off to the park to scare those pesky frightened photographers :LOL:

I tend to ignore other photographers cause lets face it you are a bunch of geeky sad bearded blokes lol

Oi, I'll have you know I shaved my beard off at the weekend.

;)

Don't take it personally, many people today are completely anti-social and many more have no inter-personal skills. If someone with a mutual interest can't be bothered to offer a simple "hello" or "good morning" as they are walking along then they probably fall into one of those categories.

Very well said Gramps. We do seem to live in a society where people would rather run a mile than just say "hello". I guess it's a very sad sign of the times. But I've also noticed that some photographers do struggle with interpersonal skills and the ability to engage in conversation. Perhaps that's why they gravitated towards a hobby which can be very antisocial in the first place. I'm sure this debate could run and run and the sociologists among us could have a field day.

Personally I am always happy to chat to people who share the same passion as me.

photographers i tend to give a nod or a friendly hello to if anything. If you're trying to take a picture of somebody unbeknownst to them i give them the old "checking my settings" malarky if they look my way :LOL:

Mostly if I see two or more photographers together they tend to ignore me although a few nod. I only say hi and nod if they make eye contact with me. If their eyes glaze over and act like I am not there then I just ignore them. If it is just one photographer on their own then it is usually much more likely they give a nod and a hi. Some stop and we have a brief chat about where they have just come from and what its like down there etc which is sometimes useful.

For a lot of people photography can be a mainly solo pursuit, it can be their time to go out, on their own and get down to being who they really are away from responsibilities of jobs and family roles. With that in mind, if anybody doesn't want to make eye contact then that probably means they just want to be left alone, which is fine by me as that is how I want to be some of the time.

How to get labelled as a miserable git without meaning to be rude at all.....

Yesterday I popped up to the airfield to shoot some aerobatics and met a lovely chap with his 200-400 VR. We had a brief chat about what we shot & our kit and then the aircraft started their run-in so I said "right, lets see what I can do with these" and walked up to the fence. I assumed he was there for the same but when I turned round he'd got in his car and gone, no doubt mumbling "miserable git just turned his back and didn't say goodbye".

If that was you then I apologise, I didn't realise you weren't waiting for the aerobatics or I'd have said goodbye! Cracking BIF shot on your Nikon though :)

p.s. It was a waste of time anyway, they were filming some nonsense for local TV and didn't do anything photo-worthy.

Back