Burgie Three day eventing

dod

TPer Emeritus
Name
Ebenezer McScrooge III
Edit My Images
Yes
Went along to this today and yesterday, apparently there are a lot of the British Olympic team contenders who attend this. Managed to get some shots but it was quite interesting to speak to the pro's and get some tips from them. They were up from Nottingham, Nikon D2Hs and interestingly enough Sigma lenses. They didn't half hog the best locations though :(

More interesting was the guy from Aberdeen with the 100-400 who gave me a couple of minutes with it, boy do I see what the hype is about now. Weather was mixed, very overcast at times, had to go to ISO 400, sometime 800 to get a decent shutter speed.

Anyway, some shots :) More here if anyones intersted

http://www.hardmuircroft.plus.com/Equestrian/Burgie International 2005/index.html

longwaydown.jpg

drawbridge233.jpg

drawbridge239.jpg

Crop of the second one
ooherr.jpg

What lens where you using and at what F stop. From the pics shown here (I have not looked at the ones in the link) you could have done with less depth of field and faster shutter speeds. The pictures are good but the backgrounds are too distracting and in some, the rope behind the horse/rider looks like its almost tripping up the horse. Less DOF would have helped and allowed slightly faster shutter speeds to freeze the action and allowed for sharper images(the crop of pic two shows this), for once it’s a win/win situation.

Moving to get yourself in a better position is always the best option but as you have discovered the pros will know those and get there straight away if given the chance. The saying of the early bird catches the worm springs to mind here..up early and into position, let the pros fight over the remaining spots ;)

I actually think you have done very well with the tools and circumstances you had to work with, some good images but obviously they can be improved.

Ta Steve,

Lens was 70-200mm F4, shooting for most of these at 200mm, mostly f5.6 ISO400. The biggest problem was the shooting distance, at a rough guess I was about 40ish meters away for most of the cross country shots, possibly a bit more. Thats going to be giving a DOF of round about 12-15 meters at 5.6 so blurring the background was probably not going to happen :( (Although checking it out F4 would have given about 6m so it may just have done the job.)

Even looking at this, the background is still easily identifiable and it's a good twenty feet behind the rider.

The crop has had noise reduction applied, probably too much, but I did like the expression on her face :D[/url]

dod said:
Ta Steve,

snip...but I did like the expression on her face :D[/url]

I noticed that straight away as well..made me smile and appreciate that even people who are comfortable with horse riding still brick it from time to time ;)

Steve said:
I noticed that straight away as well..made me smile and appreciate that even people who are comfortable with horse riding still brick it from time to time ;)

With good reason, one broken pelvis, one leg and two collar bones over the weekend. :shock:

dod said:
With good reason, one broken pelvis, one leg and two collar bones over the weekend. :shock:

Its definately not a sport for me...

If I am not mistaken a girl from the British Olympic Equestrian Team was killed at a big show in Peterborough last year, so that goes to show that even the people at the top of the profession are exposed to the risks and can get caught out. :shock:

True.

The girl is photo 2 is really bricking it, and the one is photo 3 is looking at the camera FFS! Bet she didn't win!

good stuff, never sht horses, never had the oppertunity actually!!!!

Would try and get some of them on the way up over the fences

i hope you mentionedus to the pros!!!

EosD said:
good stuff, never sht horses, never had the oppertunity actually!!!!

Would try and get some of them on the way up over the fences

i hope you mentionedus to the pros!!!

you mean like this? ;) Thanks for the comments :)

upandover.jpg

Back