Burnham Market XC 2011

Name
Megan
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

My first time posting pictures here, so please be gentle! ;)

Just a few fun ones from my trip to Burnham Market Horse Trials this year. was a brilliant day and the rain stayed away too!

082-1.jpg

397.jpg

394.jpg

231-1.jpg

195-1.jpg

150-1.jpg

Hi. I'm no expert whatsoever on this activity, but my fav is #3 as its captured nicely, well exposed, no clutter in the bg. #1 almost does it, but those blessed advertisements! The others (for me) are more like snapshots, but the timing looks good. Only ever been to one point 2 point, hardest thing ever to get a good position to shoot the action from!

Hi. I'm no expert whatsoever on this activity, but my fav is #3 as its captured nicely, well exposed, no clutter in the bg. #1 almost does it, but those blessed advertisements! The others (for me) are more like snapshots, but the timing looks good. Only ever been to one point 2 point, hardest thing ever to get a good position to shoot the action from!

Thank you for the comments - very useful!

Yeah, as a spectator it's hard to get a good spot, even at the smaller events :(

No 4 by a country mile - it's an excellent jump shot. 6 is a great shot but slightly marred by the control tower; sometimes there's just nothing that you can do about that however, although you could open the aperture a bit to /3.5 or so to knock the background out a touch more whilst keeping the horses head and rider in.

Your horizons need sorting on 1,3 and 4.

No 4 by a country mile - it's an excellent jump shot. 6 is a great shot but slightly marred by the control tower; sometimes there's just nothing that you can do about that however, although you could open the aperture a bit to /3.5 or so to knock the background out a touch more whilst keeping the horses head and rider in.

Your horizons need sorting on 1,3 and 4.

Thank you very much DemiLion - what do you mean by "sorting the horizons"?

Also, when I first started I assumed you would always shoot this sort of thing in TV, but that weekend I used AV - is that actually more common and sensible? I just never thought of needing to seperate the background for this sort of thing, but as soon as I saw some work of people who had, the difference was out of this world.

I realise I'm still not getting it quite right! :(

Having a wonky horizon is caused by not holding your camera level when hitting the shutter release, or clicking too hard and titling to the right, which then leaves you with skewed images.

It's fairly easy to fix in most PP software and the simplest way is to look for something that should be vertical and adjust it so that it is. Horizons themselves often aren't level due to perspective or ground shape, but it's a generic term for your pic slanting to one side! :)

I realise I'm still not getting it quite right! :(

Maybe not, but it's a very very good start, and yup either Av or M are the way to go.

Last edited:
Having a wonky horizon is caused by not holding your camera level when hitting the shutter release, or clicking too hard and titling to the right, which then leaves you with skewed images.

It's fairly easy to fix in most PP software and the simplest way is to look for something that should be vertical and adjust it so that it is. Horizons themselves often aren't level due to perspective or ground shape, but it's a generic term for your pic slanting to one side! :)

Eeek! I hadn't even noticed. A lot of the ground was very unlevel there, lots of slight ups and downs everywhere, but I can imagine that I don't hold it still enough.

Thank you! (y)

Back