Burnham-On-Sea Sunset

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
Called of to Burnham-On-Sea on my way back to Plymouth (not to big of a detour surprisingly) in the pouring rain with 30-40mph winds I reckon on the beach. Thought I had wasted my time but oh no, the light was beautiful in the end and I was delighted with this one:

6974722188_78a5a6875a_c.jpg

Hope you like and any C+C welcome :)

Paul, that's a cracker mate.

Fantastic sky, lovely warm colours. It's got it all.

Buildings in the left of arc don't really detract from the overall scene, even though the pickier forum members may disagree.

Technical info, filters used etc?

It's a super dooper shot! I would have loved to taken this, but then I love Burnham (the lighthouse, not the town). Very nicely controlled exposure too.

lovely, i can't make my mind up if it slopes a bit

fantastic shot and I think the appearence to slope may be cause by the line of the beach.

oh i love it..... love the colours and the comp...........

I'd be tempted to remove the stuff left of the lighthouse though.....

Thanks everyone!! As always comments are always appreciated :)

Paul, that's a cracker mate.

Fantastic sky, lovely warm colours. It's got it all.

Buildings in the left of arc don't really detract from the overall scene, even though the pickier forum members may disagree.

Technical info, filters used etc?

Excellent shot!..is it me or does it slope to the right slightly? would like to know exp: settings etc:

Robin

Technical Info:
ISO100
77 seconds @ F16
24mm with my Sony Kit lens, 18-55mm
Used a B+W ND110 filter with a hitech 0.6 soft grad. I have to say the B+W filter is about a trillion times better than Hitech Pro 10 Stop, thats awful. It leaves this red mess evreywhere which I guess is from IR light getting through.

oh i love it..... love the colours and the comp...........

I'd be tempted to remove the stuff left of the lighthouse though.....

Thats Hinkley Nuclear Power Station and in the end I actually brought it out slightly more in PP but I can understand why some people will find it distracting instead.

I've never seen burnham look so good. May have to venture that way for a few pictures.

Oh this a nice surprise to randomly see this thread haha :) Thanks for the new comments guys and good luck Richard at Burnham tonight if you have went/gone. Look forward to possibly seeing some shots :)

Here's one other one of Burnham-On-Sea from the same evening, I don't personally like it as much but still pretty happy with it :)

Burnham-On-Sea - Fire Sky by paulwynn-mackenzie.com, on Flickr

Hi
I really love your picture, the colours are beautiful. I'm a newbie with an 18-55mm kit lens on my Canon. It might be a simple question, but how do you science a shot for 77 seconds?
Thanks
Linda

Sadly the weather wasn't good so just scoped out where to go and will return on a better day.

I'd be happy with that shot on my wall :clap:

Thanks :) But unlucky with the weather, There seems even more rubbish days than usual at the moment in the UK :(

A return to true 'seascape' form Paul!

Haha I had to have a little chuckle at that :)

Beautiful shots, would look good on any wall.

Thanks a lot :)

Hi
I really love your picture, the colours are beautiful. I'm a newbie with an 18-55mm kit lens on my Canon. It might be a simple question, but how do you science a shot for 77 seconds?
Thanks
Linda

Yep Speedy is right you need to use a high density Neutral Density (ND) filter, these are basically sunglasses for your camera and reduce the amount of light getting to your camera's sensor and so hence longer shutter speeds can be used and we can then make use of the bulb feature. Generally a 10 stop ND filter is the most common for these extreme long exposures (30 seconds+). Sadly they are not cheap but you basically have 4 options when it comes to this filters that I would recommend researching a bit more on Google and what not.

Option 1 - LEE Big Stopper, these are hard to get hold of because they are so good and so popular. They will cost £100 for one and at the moment there is a 6 month waiting list. You would also need the LEE filter holder kit (which is about £45).

Option 2 - Hitech Pro 10 Stopper, these are cheaper than the LEE Big stopper and you can get in 85mm size or 100mm size. I have the 85mm one and I paid about £50 (i think) and you can get the holder for less than a tenner. Personally though I have had a horrible experience with this filter and hence never use it, I get this red colour everywhere, its horrid. BUT I have heard good reviews everywhere else so I don't know.

Option 3 - B+W ND110 filters, these are different in that they are screw on filters rather than slot in filters like the other two. But they are fantastic! I paid £35 for a 55mm screw in filter and its amazing!! I would say easily equal to the famous LEE Big stopper. Of course the big disadvantage is that unlike the slot ins it won't fit all your lenses. So if like me you have one lens with a 55mm thread and another one with a 67mm thread you would need 2 different sized B+W filters to fit each lens.

Option 4 - Using Welding glass. I don't know the details of this but basically you can use Welding glass however I'm not sure on the quality or anything but it is by far the cheapest option. There is a couple of good threads on Talk photography all about this :)

Anyway I hope that all helps :)

And Welcome to TP!

Last edited:
Back