Burnham Overy Staithe boat!

Edit My Images
No
I have to confess uploading this boat before taken with a different lens but this was taken on my last visit to my home country of Norfolk, I previously worked this in black and white but the colour version just seems to work a little better to my eyes! The colours have been pulled back slightly and adjusted the colour temperature to give a slight vintage look, which may not be to everyones taste!!

Matt

Matt, I think the subject had potential, but the background here looks clumsy rather than considered. There are beautiful shapes and textures on the boat. Not every shot has to have a foreground and a background, so if the background isn't strong enough maybe just focus on what is right in front of you?

i agree with Stephen. there's fantastic detail in the foreground - rope, wear & tear on the boat and the shadows. the buildings (for me) detract from that

I would prefer to see the lower part of the bow of the boat, plus a bit more focus differential to blur the background buildings a little more.

It's interesting, I think the OP has an attachment with the location hence the title. I know the area well and the buildings in the background as quite distinctive and link the identification of the location. That said I agree with ge comment regarding separation.

It's interesting, I think the OP has an attachment with the location hence the title. I know the area well and the buildings in the background as quite distinctive and link the identification of the location. That said I agree with ge comment regarding separation.
Yes, what I meant by my comment was to blur the background buildings a little more, not beyond recognition.
There is a white yacht mast in front of the buildings with the sun on it, which I find quite distracting, and, as I said, I'd prefer to see the whole of the bow of the boat. As it is it appears to be cropped off a bit too tightly.

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments all..

Agree about not framing the lower part of the boat, from memory I think I was shooting hand held which is often my downfall!!!

I will undoubtedly try again next time with varying apertures, and pay more attention to composition!!

Matt

I don't find the BG a distraction at all; it gives me a sense of the boats position.
Love the sharpness of the ropes & floats.

WB looks off to me, looks a bit cool. Not sure about the background, but it's not massively troublesome either. Think I would have liked to see all of the bow though. Quite like it though :)

For what looks to be a very early morning shot, I think WB is about right. The white buildings are certainly white.

Nice shot, looks like an old boat by the riveted hull, the slightly muted colours work well and they have given it the effect you were looking for to my eyes.Fisherman's cottages sets the story up nicely agree with Ruth. If I was going to be mighty picky I would have like to have seen all of the bow down to the keel
Nice work(y)

Back