Burrowing Owl Family

SKM

Edit My Images
No
Quite a few families of the owls near the library in Cape Coral, one burrow had 7 including mum and Dad. Impossible to get them all looking at the camera at the same time so settled for this smaller family, mum, dad and junior at another burrow

Stan

1/1250, f8, ISO 400, 420mm

34327295961_d48e86bff8_c.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like you are having/had a great time Stan, nice little group :)

Very simalar to our Little owls,prominenet white eyebrows ,with a longer leg.
Unlike out Little owl i believe they line there nests ,,i believe cow mock is a prefered choice.i have seen quite a few shots of these birds on another forum ,always nice to see a family and must be nice to get them in some good light .

Cheers Den.

Burrowing owls are about a third smaller than a little owl and as the name suggests they nest in burrows underground. No idea what they line with though

Stan

Excellent. Having seen these I now recall a tv programme about them.I'm sure it was these owls.The explanation was that instead of flying to and fro getting food (using a lot of energy) they utilised abandoned burrows close to cattle and thus a good supply of insects from the dung. I've just done a search and I see, as Den has pointed out, that they also use the dung for their nests. http://www.defenders.org/burrowing-owl/basic-facts

Very nice Stan.:clap::clap::clap::clap: I have yet to see an Owl:( I have been told of a few locations but so far fruitless outings.:)

I was at that exact location 2 years ago and I had an evening planned there a few weeks ago - it really is a great place and as long as you're respectable staying outside the white posts, they have little interest in humans. Ended up going diving instead though...

Really good to get all 3 together, especially along the same plane of focus.

Mike

Nice capture Stan.

Though I think it could use a bit of added contrast/black and white points adjusted. Also I added a little bit of vibrance and set the white balance from the neutral grey (y)

What do you think?

34327295961_d48e86bff8_c_2.jpg

thanks Wez and Mike

Wez, not sure about the edit. The shot was taken early morning and I think it was about right

I was at that exact location 2 years ago and I had an evening planned there a few weeks ago - it really is a great place and as long as you're respectable staying outside the white posts, they have little interest in humans.

there are at least 5 families along that stretch at the moment with varying numbers of chicks - one has 5. I think generally people are quite careful about how close they get but when we went on Monday there was a guy there with a whole set of portable studio lights - 3 of them and set up quite near - really was overkill as the light was fine and really didnt need any fill

Stan

no prob Wez although on my calibrated screen cant see a green cast

Stan

Back