Burton Dassett - Star Trails

MWHCVT

In Memoriam
Name
Matthew
Edit My Images
Yes
As part of our challenge 366's both Darrell (TheDodo) and I headed up to Burton Dassett to have a bit of Star Trailing fun the other night (y) it was a really windy evening some 650 feet up at the very top of the hills so we headed down a little to get some shelter from the wind (y)

It was a great evening for trail even though it was flipping cold :eek:

15/366 (380) by mwhcvt, on Flickr

This is made up of 239 x 30 second exposures @ f/4 ISO800 (y) and stacked using StarStax

As with all my images C&C is welcomed and appreciated (y)

Matt
MWHCVT

A great effort mate, i do think that your portrait composition works a bit better as you actually have polaris in frame.(y)

A great effort mate, i do think that your portrait composition works a bit better as you actually have polaris in frame.(y)

Thanks mate, I cannot wait for the next clear night to have a play with the new fish eye :D

Matt

Nice photo Matt, looks like a great location.

It's a wonderful location with actually a few different options for star trails (y) but there are some...shall we say interesting night time activities there :eek:

Excellent result under the weather conditions described. Do you use any form of dew control for the lens. I use a pocket warmer which I place in a sleeve wrapped around the lens works really well and does not move the focus barrel.

Excellent result under the weather conditions described. Do you use any form of dew control for the lens. I use a pocket warmer which I place in a sleeve wrapped around the lens works really well and does not move the focus barrel.

Thank you kindly (y)

I don't use anything, I let the camera and lens get to a similar temperature at the surrounding air, make sure that if I'm outside with the camera that I stay down wind of the camera and if I'm really concerned I will stop the camera every now and then for a couple of seconds and do a quick lens inspection (y)

Matt

Very nice Matt amazing amount of stars to be seen from that location.
Question..How do you control the shutter release?

Thank you Allan, as to the shutter release, it just a simple lockable button so I set what I want as my exposure to be on the camera and then lock the shutter button and the camera takes photo's one after the other until I release the lock (y)

Matt

Thats a great trail Matt!
Can't fault it at all.
Well done on staying out for over two hours aswell.
shall we say interesting night time activities there
I'm guessing someone was having a good night. Has happened to me too lol.

Thats a great trail Matt!
Can't fault it at all.
Well done on staying out for over two hours aswell.

I'm guessing someone was having a good night. Has happened to me too lol.

Thanks Michael it's the end result that makes you want to stay out in the cold and with the.....urrm yeah going on, I'm sure some of them must have been having a good time, there were 5 or 6 cars in the various little car parks up there :LOL: and they had to be doing something to keep warm :eek:

Encountering that is not a first for me either when out on location, it takes all sorts I guess :LOL:

Matt

Very nice, was shooting in landscape not an option?

Joe

Thank you, landscape was indeed an option but I didn't want to (y) as I wanted to get some nice circular patterns in the sky, if you want to see a landscape version check out Darrell 366 Thread HERE

Thats a stunning light trail you have Matt - quality. :clap:

Maybe next time have a word with air traffic control :D

Is that a shooting star bottom right you have too?

Thats a stunning light trail you have Matt - quality. :clap:

Maybe next time have a word with air traffic control :D

Is that a shooting star bottom right you have too?

Thanks :D I'm rather pleased with it myself, the planes are something that I've learnt to live with, part of living near the Daventry VOR :shrug:

I'm not sure what that is in the bottom right there is something there but for the life of me I'm not sure what it is :thinking:

Matt

Back