Bushnell binoculars

Edit My Images
Yes
Hello, just away in Cornwall for the week and 1 of my lenses has fogged up from being out in rain... even though there waterproof :-(
Any quick fixes or are they buggered? Have had them in radiator and still bad! There about 7yrs old!!
Many thanks

Probably not ruined. My binoculars do the same if they get very damp. I'm surprised putting them on the radiator did not cure the problem. Usually just leaving mine in a warm room dries them out.

You could try putting them in a sealed bag with sachets of silica gel or some rice but I can't think they would work better than the gentle heat of a radiator.

Perhaps an excuse to get a new pair.

Dave

Probably not ruined. My binoculars do the same if they get very damp. I'm surprised putting them on the radiator did not cure the problem. Usually just leaving mine in a warm room dries them out.

You could try putting them in a sealed bag with sachets of silica gel or some rice but I can't think they would work better than the gentle heat of a radiator.

Perhaps an excuse to get a new pair.

Dave

Thanks appreciate your reply! I tried rice overnight and it didn’t do anything!
Maybe I need new 1’s :)

I washed moldy binoculars and the next day I noticed the glass was full of water on the inside.

I sat them out in bright sunlight and it cleared completely but it was summer and a hot day.

If they're fogging up, then they've lost the waterproof seal and nitrogen fill. Repair or replace I think.

If replacing, then perhaps have a look at the Hawke Frontier ED 8x43 or 10x43, I think they're cracking value for the money.

I have had 3 pairs of Bushnell bino's (I still have one pair) none of them are (were) waterproof and fogged up regularly.
Usually took 2 or 3 days to clear completely. I only use them in hides or dry days.
Got a pair of Visionary Stormquest for when the weather is wet. They are definitely waterproof!

I've been using a pair of Swarovski 8.5x42 EL SV for the last few years. Just amazing (arguably the very best) optics, fully waterproof, great build quality, though well expensive. The missus prefers her Swarovski 8x42 SLC HD, they have different optics to the EL SV, but are excellent too and less expensive.

Prior to that I used a pair of cheap Opticron bins for years. Good value for money, nitrogen filled and reasonable optics, but struggled a bit in low light, which is one reason I changed them. The Opticron Natura BGA ED or DBA VHD, which are higher up the range, better optics, build and low light performance than the pair I had. Either would be worth look if I was in the market for something.

Last edited:
Blimey thanks everyone for your input on how to fix or what to replace with, they are slowly clearing which is good as there is plenty going on here dolphins yesterday seals day before and gannets dive bombing left right and centre! All from the balcony of our holiday stay! :)
I think I will look at replacement even if these do recover!! So your options are helpful....

We have a pair of Opticron (Explorer WA ED 10x42) and a pair of Delta's (SL2ED 10 x 42). Never had an issue in the rain (although if truth be known, I don't go out in the wet that often!!).

Have a look at In Focus - https://www.at-infocus.co.uk/

Back