Buskers

Name
Simon (Prefer 'Si')
Edit My Images
No
This is well and truly outside of my comfort zone... I don't generally do 'street' photography because I dislike intruding into peoples' space but I think that street performers are fair game. :)

I took my new Fuji X-Pro out for a walk yesterday and got these two playing (very well) in the middle of town.

Fuji X-Pro1
18mm f/2 @ f/4
1/1200sec. ISO200. -1/3ev

Not sure the 18mm has done it any favours... as everything is sharp front to back (or seems to be at this size) and that makes the background very detailed and noisy. The two performers are almost lost in the detail. Maybe being in colour would help.. depending on what they were wearing. Personally I'd have used a faster, longer lens, or gone a lot closer to them. Opening up wider would have been another option if it was possible to do so.

Edited because I can't be bothered to get into another argument with the forum troll! (n)

Hi Si, i don't think Davids reply was anything other than a bit of well intended crit and as such is just another opinion, having said that i would be happy to be getting feedback from someone with such a wealth of experience and knowledge.

Reply's like yours above can only damage "crit" for all of us, if you really do believe David to be "the forum troll" then just put him on ignore.

...Reply's like yours above can only damage "crit" for all of us, if you really do believe David to be "the forum troll" then just put him on ignore.

Hi John,

He is on my ignore list... I don't trust his motives which is why I wasn't happy that he'd replied. I have no problem with criticism at all but I don't believe he gave it in the right spirit!
Unfortunately, being on an ignore list still gives him the opportunity to reply (which doesn't seem right to me).

I appreciate where you're coming from though which is why I amended my original reply to him!
Cheers,
Si

Although it's a great shot, I have to agree with David on this... I immediately thought it was quite busy... I suppose because there doesn't seem to be much separation from the background. I don't know anything about street photography, and it's a place I've never been brave enough to venture, so hats off to you there. But wonder if there's anything you could do in post that might bring the attention to the subjects at hand rather than whole sha-bang?

I actually like this shot as it is.
To me a separate story is told where buskers are playing (for money) in front of a major financial institution. If a different setting or longer lens were used in altering the DofF, this may have removed the Bank sign and not offered the same interpretation. Perhaps the lady at the cash dispenser is removing money in preparation of giving a donation to them?
If I may add, I might attempt to remove the cables from the guitars, - only my humble opinion though.
I like the crisp, contrasy B&W work.

He is on my ignore list

:) I don't use the ignore list for this reason, i also have to see what has been written so end up temporally unblocking them to read what they have said, defeating the point of the block button.

The image, i don't mind that its sharp all the way and like the composition and the edit, what i don't like about it is it looks like something i would take myself and i already see far too much of that.o_O

I quite like this shot, especially in B&W. By tilting the camera you've made the image more dynamic; the depth of field helps me feel as though I'm really there.

I like this - the Mono conversion suit the shot, I think the lens choice although not necessarily bad,was OK - I would have use a longer lens shot from further back with a large aperture to soften the BG slightly

The jaunty angle work for me also

But that's just me

Les ;)

Horses for courses as always - I quite like the shot.. (y)

I didn't notice the bank in the background or the woman at the cash dispenser but more than likely the OP didn't realise either.. lol

I like it as it works very well as a subject in B&W with good PP (y)

But in a perfect world maybe the BG could have been a little blurred :thinking: but not too much :thinking:

But my own pet hates, which I try & avoid (think I do until I see the shot on my PC & see those things I missed) are cars passing but an even bigger thing that bugs me is waste bins. The latter have to be cloned out :)

But isn't it so hard to get all the factors right & my opinion is only my opinion & I am sometimes/always wrong :LOL:

Back