Busy Bodies

Name
Graham Mc
Edit My Images
Yes
Picture the scene, you've found a nice little single track stone bridge over a stream on Bodmin moor, lined up the shot on tripod with demolished brick and clay works chimney at the end of the stream with moorland vegetation in the foreground and not a soul in sight.

Then a car pulls up in the distance, people get out clambering into the shot with their little compacts, not worrying or caring but knowing i'm there trying to take a shot ! Then while this is happening a local gets out of his Audi and starts chirping on giving me a history lesson on the site, then the said people got back into their car moving towards the bridge giving the local a thankful getaway to move his car and on up the single track off into the distance.

Not 2 mins later two blokes in their 50's on push bikes stop and one says "what's there cuckoo ?" You can imagine i was boiling up by this point and snapped back what cuckoo, what *@i% cuckoo ? They then cleared off with one laughing like a bloody schoolboy, pathetic !

Anyone have similar happen when trying to take a photo THINKING ahh blissful peace and quiet :LOL:

Millions of times. Patience (and Photoshop) is the only solution. Photoshop is pretty good for that though - take two shots from a tripod with the clutter in different places and it is 2 seconds work to cut them out.

Patience =key word here.

I went to shoot a Windmill on Sunday, just as I got there a family went into the grounds, I just held back and showed I had a bit of Patience and they moved out of shot. I went and shot the other side while they were in the way, came back and did the other after waiting for a bit.

If it bothers you then its ZERO help posting about it on a forum, just go speak to them and ask if they would mind moving out the shot for 2mins while you get yours.

Maybe even tell them 'hey come stand here with me, this is the best angle!'.

Throw stones at them, or better still, drop your trousers and pretend to be taking a poo...

Throw stones at them, or better still, drop your trousers and pretend to be taking a poo...

aaaand my coffee just met my keyboard..... :LOL:

Last edited:
next time go wearing a high viz jacket and hard hat.... then while they're in the shot shout out, you're from the council and they're planning on blowing up the very bridge they're standing on

it happened to me in the yorkshire dales a while back. got up at 6.30am, blindingly good sunrise about to burst thru over the dales.... drive to what feels like the top of the world... and STILL you get the old bloke with a dog coming out of nowhere... who then says.... 'you're up early'... oh i could go on, but i suppose it's comical really. i could be that bloke one day!

Laugh along with them, enjoy the day out and stop letting it wind you up so much, they all went and you took the picture I presume

Bet they went away saying

Saw this right miserable git today trying to take photos and it was great fun watching him get all worked up.

Picture the scene, you've found a nice little single track stone bridge over a stream on Bodmin moor, lined up the shot on tripod with demolished brick and clay works chimney at the end of the stream with moorland vegetation in the foreground and not a soul in sight.

Then a car pulls up in the distance, people get out clambering into the shot with their little compacts, not worrying or caring but knowing i'm there trying to take a shot ! Then while this is happening a local gets out of his Audi and starts chirping on giving me a history lesson on the site, then the said people got back into their car moving towards the bridge giving the local a thankful getaway to move his car and on up the single track off into the distance.

Not 2 mins later two blokes in their 50's on push bikes stop and one says "what's there cuckoo ?" You can imagine i was boiling up by this point and snapped back what cuckoo, what *@i% cuckoo ? They then cleared off with one laughing like a bloody schoolboy, pathetic !

Anyone have similar happen when trying to take a photo THINKING ahh blissful peace and quiet :LOL:

I believe that the word you're looking for in emmet; but then again you be one as well! :p

I went to the early morning photo session at the Eastleigh Loco Works, there were about eight of us set up shooting a loco when this plonker comes and stands right between us all, and the engine, he was politely asked to move! Some people seem completely oblivious to what is going on around them, just a bit of common sense required, sadly it seems such a rare commodity these days.

Depending on my mood, i just stand there and smile, or give them a look that says "move or I'll cut your nuts off".

If I am out with friends and I am feeling particularly silly I will give them a look that says "I may be constipated or I want to hump your leg".

As for people coming and talking to me, again, mood dependant they will either get the nice friendly me, or I'll just push my tongue to the roof of my mouth and tell them I am deaf and do not understand them :D

Unfortunately being a photographer doesn't give you a monopoly on being the only person in a particular location. People getting in the way of your photographs is an occupational hazard, regardless of how remote the location happens to be.

Deal with it.

Mines are the answer, a dense belt of AP mines surrounding your location deters interlopers. If next to a road, consider AT mines too.

Plant claymore mines on all approaches to the scene you are about to photograph and a few packets of c4 for good measure. Oh and don't forget to collect them after the shot if they were not tripped.

ah yes... the 'Madagascar' approach...

"If you have any poo, fling it now!"

Thanks ROB!

Please keep your comments to yourself......I've got POO all over my screen now. :puke:

Last edited by a moderator:
Mines are the answer, a dense belt of AP mines surrounding your location deters interlopers. If next to a road, consider AT mines too.
Plant claymore mines on all approaches to the scene you are about to photograph and a few packets of c4 for good measure. Oh and don't forget to collect them after the shot if they were not tripped.

Correct (and DS) answer. Also it doesn't contravene the UN Protocol II on Prohibitions or Restrictions on the Use of Mines, Booby-Traps and Other Devices unlike the use of AP's suggested above!!:D

(not forgetting that Claymores are far sexier!)

Meh, just claim you have an exemption because of legacy issues and replacement cost/technology problems and promise to replace it by the year 2115, everyone is happy then - well, apart from anyone standing on your PMN-1's :D

"I'm here to photograph the Greater Spotted Prat. And I think I'm in luck"

We really must have a TP meet where the main object is to use as many of Arkady's suggestions as possible in an afternoon.

Last man arrested is the winner (y)

It's a fairly regular occurance for me - the big lens attracts attention. The usually opening gambit is "My that's a big one!" :tumbleweed:

I don't mind if I'm standing out in the open in full view, but the other week, I was as tucked into the undergrowth as I could get trying to photograph a Redstart, when this guy with a little girl in tow spots me from 100 yards away and comes and stands right by me asking PITA questions, with the little girl running round shouting and playing. :bang:

Not another soul in sight and he wants to come and bug me! I wasn't overly polite I must confess. :baby:

Ah, reality strikes!
Make friends wherever you go people ... it may be you sooner than you think :D

Laugh along with them, enjoy the day out and stop letting it wind you up so much, they all went and you took the picture I presume

Bet they went away saying

Saw this right miserable git today trying to take photos and it was great fun watching him get all worked up.

Unfortunately being a photographer doesn't give you a monopoly on being the only person in a particular location. People getting in the way of your photographs is an occupational hazard, regardless of how remote the location happens to be.

Deal with it.

:agree: with all three.

I went up to Roughtor today, mighty windy but horses, sheep & cows for company :LOL: now there's some species that seem to be decreasing in population :D

Back