Busy scanning time ahead....

Ben

Edit My Images
No
Last autumn my PC broke down with fatal results and silly me (who never backed up anything, even knowing the computer was on a slow demise) lost everything - including around 300 or more scanned images!

So I've slowly been upgrading my computer set-up. I have a new PC, I recently changed PS Elements 4 to version 7, and my well-used Epson 4990 (bought when this model was first released, a few years ago now) is being replaced with a V750 which should arrive in the next couple of days! Surprisingly the cheapest place I found it for sale was on Amazon, so now I can't wait for it to arrive!

And thus very soon I have the wonderful task of scanning sooo many slides and negatives... but at least then I can start updating my website again, and submit more work to Alamy! :)

Scanner here now but still in box, will unpack tomorrow. And yes, I've promised myself to save all images to DVD, and damn I better stick to that promise as well!

And thus very soon I have the wonderful task of scanning sooo many slides and negatives...

Just one question... Why?

What is the point of scanning everything just so you have it on your computer?

The slides and negatives will probably outlast your digital files anyway (they have already done that once!). Why not just scan them as and when you need them? i.e. to print or put on a website.

Steve.

Totally understandable then if you are going to make use of all of them. I take issue with posts I read sometimes when people ask for advice on which scanner to get as they 'need' to 'archive' thousands of slides or negatives.

They forget that the original slides and negatives are the archives and the scan is an inferior facsimilie.

Steve.

OK well just having a play with one of my first scans. This is an image taken in Prague using a Bronnie ETRSi on a tripod, 75mm lens and Fuji Velvia.

I scanned the slide at 24 bit, 3200 dpi (If that means much?? Not a lot to me!) which produced a 101MB TIFF file. Shown below is the reduced size version at just under 100kb.

post-1-1239990323.jpg

And now a cropped version which hopefully shows the amount of detail captured......

post-1-1239990410.jpg

And now a cropped version which hopefully shows the amount of detail captured......

I think that qualifies as "plenty"! :D
Lots of good shadow detail there, and a nice scan of an interesting slide.

Just make sure you back them up this time :p

Back