Butterflies at Stratford Upon Avon

smr

Name
Joel
Edit My Images
No
Last edited:
I love the 2nd one great detail showing most of the butterfly, on the others the DOF is just too shallow for me and doesn't show as much detail

Reactions: smr
Not an easy subject but fascinating when you get it right with the focus and dof. I'm looking on my phone so no easy to tell what you're settings are, maybe you could put your settings here and others could comment. There's some great people here With great knowledge and you will learn so much more. I've just been to a butterfly farm and was walking around gobsmacked at the awesomeness of the beautiful butterflies. I can't post my photos yet :(

Come on @Graham you are now very knowledgeable .... I would recommend you aim for f11 or at a minimum f8... the light is quite harsh on all are you diffusing the ring flash at all ... someone on here did an amazing ring flash diffusion.

Using f2.8 on #5 I'm amazed you got anything in focus. So good job on that. :D

Keep plugging away look forward to seeing more :D

Thanks for the comments guys - I do want to get more in focus so I'll go for a smaller aperture next time - infact I don't know why I didn't at the time - that was the whole purpose of buying a ring flash after all! Had my boys with me though and was having to keep one eye on them so that's probably why I wasn't thinking clearly about the settings.

Regarding the ring flash Bryn - no it's not diffused, it's my first time shooting with it so I was trying to get to grips with it (and the macro lens is only a few weeks old) so it's all pretty new but I agree about the harsh light - do you have a link to the diffusion you mention that someone did on here?

Thanks for the comments guys - I do want to get more in focus so I'll go for a smaller aperture next time - infact I don't know why I didn't at the time - that was the whole purpose of buying a ring flash after all! Had my boys with me though and was having to keep one eye on them so that's probably why I wasn't thinking clearly about the settings.

Regarding the ring flash Bryn - no it's not diffused, it's my first time shooting with it so I was trying to get to grips with it (and the macro lens is only a few weeks old) so it's all pretty new but I agree about the harsh light - do you have a link to the diffusion you mention that someone did on here?

Here's the link, https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/show-us-your-macro-rig.132158/page-13

Bryn was right in that I have some knowledge on f numbers etc but as have limited resources atm I thought I'd leave it up to @Tintin124 cos he likes all that stuff :D

Back