Butterflies

Wow John these are great.... only seen 4 species so far around my way and only caught 2 on camera. Need to get out hunting in the woods! Any tips on finding these guys plants they like etc.

:D

Wow John these are great.... only seen 4 species so far around my way and only caught 2 on camera. Need to get out hunting in the woods! Any tips on finding these guys plants they like etc.

:D

Thanks Bryn :D Just this last few days the butterflies have been putting in appearance. I'm no expert at finding these but getting yourself to nature reserves helps! The blues were on dunes and liked the cover of the long marran grass, the skippers I always find in meadows with lots of wildflowers, the speckled woods are very common around here, the whites definitely like campion! Other species seen today were, peacock, large whites and small whites, orange tip, red admiral. I desperately want a shot of an orange tip, they look awesome!

All good I like them, your small blue female looks to me like a brown argus, I may be wrong. I wish I could find a few more butterflies, may be now the sun is shining things will change.

http://butterfly-conservation.org/50-1301/brown-argus.html

Thanks poacher, identifying insects seems to be a real problem for me, the female was in the same area and interacting with the males so who knows!!

Nice series, the small blue male shots are my faves!

Cheers Tim :D

Thanks poacher, identifying insects seems to be a real problem for me, the female was in the same area and interacting with the males so who knows!!

I had the same problem last year, I thought a brown argus was a female common blue as they were both together in the same field.

Thank you Nick :)

As per usual I got most of the IDs wrong :help: All correctly identified now thanks to a nice chap on Flickr. You were right poacher it is a brown argus!
How I managed to get the first one wrong is beyond me, I took a very similar shot last year. I put it down to being out in the sun solid for two days :whistle:

Last edited:
Thank you Nick :)

As per usual I got most of the IDs wrong :help: All correctly identified now thanks to a nice chap on Flickr. You were right poacher it is a brown argus!
How I managed to get the first one wrong is beyond me, I took a very similar shot last year. I put it down to being out in the sun solid for two days :whistle:

I very often misidentify butterflies but now use something like this to help.

http://butterfly-conservation.org/50/Identify-abutterfly.html

Beautiful set nice to see the brown argus pics especially as we don't get them in my area
The first one is a small copper:)

Back