Butterfly Hatchling

Wow, where is your kitchen? In a green house?

Really love shot, great colours and detail, what great timing to capture this! (y)

Wow, where is your kitchen? In a green house?

Really love shot, great colours and detail, what great timing to capture this! (y)

I got some baby trees that came through the post. And one had a crysalis on.

As far as taking the photo, it was just luck on how nice it came out, I moved it outside to get some sun, and the pics I took outside didnt have the nice colours as the ones from the kitchin.

So thats taught me something valuable.

Dont just take a picture of where the subject is. Think about if there is somewhere that will give a more pleasing background.

I do tend to take pictures of subjects within their natural environment. But this example demonstrates how moving the subject can give you a nice reward. :)

Plus the morning sun has really added to the image.

Last edited:
Bravo, very nice indeed :clap:

Ian

It's a nice shot. From a critique point of view the cocoon looks a lot sharper than the butterfly, was this due to post processing?

It's a nice shot. From a critique point of view the cocoon looks a lot sharper than the butterfly, was this due to post processing?

I took this shot using extension tubes and could only get a narrow DOF. So I chose the crysalis to be the main focus.
The butterfly was great but the way the morning light past through the crysalis was (I thought) amazing.

Good shot and story (y)
Good bit of timing as well, I don't expect stayed long after forming.

Back