butterfly, ladybird and a thistle

Name
Jenny
Edit My Images
Yes
This is my first foray out to a local lake.... with macro lens....

came back sounding like an angler...'oh u should have seen the damselfly i saw...it was 'this big' but it just woulnt settle!' lol

C&C welcome please, I need to learn. I know I need to improve, but its a start!

2Butterfly.jpg

2thistle.jpg

2Ladybird2.jpg

Last edited:
beautiful shot of the lady bird, I love how it blurs into the background. Nice effect! Excellent work!

Oooo I love the ladybird shot, very nice

Shutter Bug and Picollo ....Thanx for taking the time to comment

That Ladybird is the best of the set ... which macro lens are you using ?

Hi Martyn,

its a sigma 50mm 1:2.8 DG Macro.... that was on my D70, cos it wont auto focus on the D5000

Hi Martyn,

its a sigma 50mm 1:2.8 DG Macro.... that was on my D70, cos it wont auto focus on the D5000

A lot of the macro stuff posted on this section will be manually focused, a longer focal length would help with some of the insects as you can get further away from them, which can help.

The main thing is to always try and focus on the eyes of your subject, have the sun behind you, and practice ... it is free with digital (y)

Thanx for the advice Martyn I am just learning to shoot manually after being on auto for a few years lol ,, so a longer focal length is...a smaller f number?

Thanx for the advice Martyn I am just learning to shoot manually after being on auto for a few years lol ,, so a longer focal length is...a smaller f number?

No Jenny ... more mm, your lens is 50mm which means you need to get really close, there are 90mm 105mm 180mm and 200mm macro lenses to name a few, the longer ones give a greater working distance from the subject.

For Butterflies, Damselflies and Dragonflies I use a 300mm telephoto lens, with a minimum focus distance of 1.5m (approx), so I can avoid spooking the insect.

For those real close up detailed shots of the smaller stuff, macro lenses and extension tubes is the preferred method to really pick out the detail.

ohhh i see... I also have a 70-300mm zoom lens, but i have a prob with that, purely practical, if ** so far away.... how do u spot it in the first place... how do u see it if your so far away? some of these things are so tiny... I have so much to learn!! Some of the shots i see on here are SO pin sharp, I'm sure I'll never match them!

Back