Butterflys and ......

Name
Tony
Edit My Images
Yes
IDs would be apreciated please, if possible.

Canon50D18977.jpg

Canon50D18962.jpg

Canon50D18965.jpg

Canon50D18301.jpg

Taken with the 50D and the 100-400

Nice set Ant #2 especially (y)
(Can't help with the ID's though)

1. Male Silver studded Blue

2. Speckled Wood

3. Gatekeeper

4. Longhorn Beetles, possibly Wasp Beetles. I think you will find one is male and the other female. :D

Nice set Ant #2 especially (y)
(Can't help with the ID's though)

Thanks Chris :)

1. Male Silver studded Blue

2. Speckled Wood

3. Gatekeeper

4. Longhorn Beetles, possibly Wasp Beetles. I think you will find one is male and the other female. :D

Cheers Mike for the comprehensive IDs :) Yes I'd heard that often when the male had been at the fermented apples the female had to carry him home, I'm pleased to have captured such a behavioural shot :)

........ I think you will find one is male and the other female. :D

What makes you say that :shrug:
Yes I'd heard that often when the male had been at the fermented apples the female had to carry him home, I'm pleased to have captured such a behavioural shot :)

Ah That explains it (y) :D

A very nice set, well shot.

Good, well-composed and lit shots:clap::clap:

are you sure that it's not a Common?
Silver studded usually has a wider dark band around the outer edge of the upper wings?

Another iffy one in the sequence, does this help?

Canon50D18980.jpg

Last edited:
I'm still leaning towards a Common (white wedge along v4 on hind wing & the black spot in the cell on the forewing are also indicators) but willing to be disproved.
Got any more of it?

I'm still leaning towards a Common (white wedge along v4 on hind wing & the black spot in the cell on the forewing are also indicators) but willing to be disproved.
Got any more of it?

I have but they're a little OOF and don't show anything different.

Having googled the two I think you could well be right, both very pretty creatures though :)

Nice set of butterflies ;)

Thank you Alby :)

Having googled the two I think you could well be right, both very pretty creatures though :)
many Lycaenidae are very similar to start with & then you have individual variation, different forms etc. ... bit of a nightmare sometimes for ID :bang:

but yes, some stunning beasties :love:

Very nice Set Ant, #2 is my fave.

many Lycaenidae are very similar to start with & then you have individual variation, different forms etc. ... bit of a nightmare sometimes for ID :bang:

but yes, some stunning beasties :love:

Thanks for your help Scott :)

great set of shots toonamp...(y)

Cheers Stan :)

Beautiful images.

Dai

Ta Dai :)

I'll go along with Common Blue as well on second thoughts.

Thanks Mike :) as Scott says there are so many similarities and cross references, it is a job some times. I agree with you, a Common blue as much as I would have liked it to be the Silver studded Blue.

Very nice Set Ant, #2 is my fave.

Thank you John :) I like the speckled wood too, shame about the tear on its wing mind.

Back