North England Buttermere Pines.

Dale.

Bo Derek
Name
Dale.
Edit My Images
Yes
After seeing the 2 splendid shots here earlier of the Buttermere Pines, it has prompted me to consider getting them. It's a shot I've wanted for a few years now. I have some things going on at home that are taking up my time just now but I would like to get the shot at some point in the next month or so, conditions dependent.

I'm sussing it all out on Google Earth but what about parking? It all looks a bit cramped there in that sense. I plan to go early doors one morning, it's about 2.5 hours for me.

Any help about parking or otherwise appreciated. (y)

Thanks.

My advice would be to use the car parks and walk to the place you want to take your shots from. The car parks will be less busy on weekdays.

I was in Keswick midweek at the start of December, sadly without my DSLR and there was a couple of photogs there with tripods taking shots of the sunset over the fells with it's reflection on the surface of Derwentwater... Wish I'd took my D810 with me to catch that magical moment....

My advice would be to use the car parks and walk to the place you want to take your shots from. The car parks will be less busy on weekdays.

I was in Keswick midweek at the start of December, sadly without my DSLR and there was a couple of photogs there with tripods taking shots of the sunset over the fells with it's reflection on the surface of Derwentwater... Wish I'd took my D810 with me to catch that magical moment....

Thanks for that.

I see there's a car park in Buttermere itself as well as Gatesgarth.

If you can get lucky and park here, its an easy walk through the small woods to Buttermere shore.

Otherwise park at Gatesgarth pay and desplay and walk up the road

If you can get lucky and park here, its an easy walk through the small woods to Buttermere shore.

Otherwise park at Gatesgarth pay and desplay and walk up the road

Awesome, thank you.

Whilst you are visiting Buttermere it might be an idea to take some shots of Crummock Water too..... United Utilities recently stopped supplying water from Crummock and plan on demolishing the weir meaning the lake level will drop about 1.35 metres...

Park at the Buttermere carpark (NT) and do both lakes. You'd be about 30 minutes from the first pines sighting then or 2 hours if you can't help but take loads of images.

Have a couple of coffees in the cafe too and help the village by giving them your custom.

Whilst you are visiting Buttermere it might be an idea to take some shots of Crummock Water too..... United Utilities recently stopped supplying water from Crummock and plan on demolishing the weir meaning the lake level will drop about 1.35 metres...

Park at the Buttermere carpark (NT) and do both lakes. You'd be about 30 minutes from the first pines sighting then or 2 hours if you can't help but take loads of images.

Have a couple of coffees in the cafe too and help the village by giving them your custom.

Awesome, thanks. Just need to wait on conditions now and hopefully, I can slot this trip in before summer.

As has been said there are a few side of the road spots at the south end if you're lucky, failing that there's paid parking at Gatesgarth and Buttermere village and a National Trust car park there as well. If you wait till April/May you could also do the bluebells at Rannerdale.Screenshot (39).jpg

As has been said there are a few side of the road spots at the south end if you're lucky, failing that there's paid parking at Gatesgarth and Buttermere village and a National Trust car park there as well. If you wait till April/May you could also do the bluebells at Rannerdale.View attachment 411875

Thank you Dean.(y)

whilst your in the area, after the pines head back down the hoister pass towards keswick, stop in the seatoller car park and carry on , on foot, look for this gate honister 2.jpg

go through it and follow the path till you get to the woods,

honister 1.jpg

there is a lovely old abandoned water wheel there, you have to scramble across the rocks across the river to get the best shots but it is very picturesque

old mill.jpg

carry on and you have ashness bridge and photographers surprise in a little road on the right, loads of places to take nice shots seeing as your travelling thatb far you might as well make the most of it

Back