Critique Buttermere

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

I was working in Cumbria today so got up early and headed to Buttermere. I'm quite pleased with some of these but was a little disappointed not to see any clouds I also realised why maybe summer is not ideal for landscapes. By the time to sun cleared the hills it was really too strong and had lost it's "golden" glow. Anyway, I'd really appreciate your thoughts on these and in particular the framing and cropping. Most are the same view but I struggle with getting the best from it. I'd appreciate your thoughts. I also found out today that if you bracket for "film simulation" it turns off RAW. So all these are from JPEG's. The only RAW is the one I took at the end of the session with my DP2M. It's interesting how different the rendering is to the Fuji X-E1 used on the others.

1)

From when I arrived last night

Lake Buttermere by Steve Babb, on Flickr

2)

A long wait for the sun!

3)

Not sure about this one, looks a little "alien"! I think the polariser on my 14mm is showing here in the sky a bit too.

4)

I think I like this the most.

5)

6) A closer view

7)

8) The DP2M shot

Buttermere by Steve Babb, on Flickr

Thanks for looking and any advice.

Regards,
Steve

Last edited:
A good set Steve. The reflections are pretty amazing but I just feel they're a little cramped. Would really have liked to see more space top and bottom, i.e. more sky, more water. Considering this I would agree that No4 is the best of the bunch

Lovely. A brilliant set with my favourite type of image with such wonderful light.

Only 6 is bad as you've cut the reflection off and it's too tight.

With cloudless skies it's wise to go in tight as you have but not so tight as 6

Last edited:
My faves are 7, 5 and 4 in no particular order. It must have been a fabulous morning although a few clouds in the sky would have been perfect, as you say. It might be worth opening up the shadow areas a little ; you might prefer it......

You could also remove the slightly uneven polarisation in the widest shot. See the link below if you use Lightroom.

http://wp.me/p2BFlt-9w

Great set , I love #4 , if you start at the left side and work right it looks like the shot is curved.

Cheers

Steve

Thank you all for the comments. I was unsure as to how to crop these and always end up thinking I could have done better. I cropped them quite tight as mentioned above, they seemed a little empty when I had more "blue" as not a cloud was to be seen. On second viewing 6 should be reworked. I tried to force attention to the trees, so maybe should have cropped even closer so it doesn't look like I've just clipped the reflection.

Will have a another look and see if I can improve.

Thanks for all the advice.
Steve

Back