Buying a 400D as first DSLR.

Edit My Images
Yes
Hey,

I've become increasingly interested in photography and have finally chose to buy the Canon EOS 400D.

There is a deal at Jessops, for the camera (18-55mm lens), 2gb compact flash card and a Tamron 55-200mm f/4-5.6 Di II LD Macro (Canon AF).

My question is;

is the 'Tamron 55-200mm f/4-5.6 Di II LD Macro (Canon AF)' a macro lens only ? or a zoom lens to ?

altogether the package is £565, is this a good deal ?

Camera with the lens kit is £446. 2GB Sandisk E-III CF is £18 from Play.com. That lens is about £100. So is it a deal? Not really. More of a bundle.

I just bought my first DSLR (400D as well) from Jessops on Saturday.

Camera with the lens kit is £446. 2GB Sandisk E-III CF is £18 from Play.com. That lens is about £100. So is it a deal? Not really. More of a bundle.

I just bought my first DSLR (400D as well) from Jessops on Saturday.

£100 ? :eek:

Wow.. on the Jessops site it says £199, but i guess if you shop around you can find better prices :)

Hey,

I've become increasingly interested in photography and have finally chose to buy the Canon EOS 400D.

There is a deal at Jessops, for the camera (18-55mm lens), 2gb compact flash card and a Tamron 55-200mm f/4-5.6 Di II LD Macro (Canon AF).

My question is;

is the 'Tamron 55-200mm f/4-5.6 Di II LD Macro (Canon AF)' a macro lens only ? or a zoom lens to ?

altogether the package is £565, is this a good deal ?

I am sure if you had a "rake around" t'internet you could buy cheaper but as a "bundle" I don't think that its a rip off. And of course you have all you need to get started
The "macro" is macro caperbillity but still a zoom.
The 400D is a good place to start I have been more than happy with mine ( a year later)
Oh and welcome to the forum BTW its another good place to start (y)

I am sure if you had a "rake around" t'internet you could buy cheaper but as a "bundle" I don't think that its a rip off. And of course you have all you need to get started
The "macro" is macro caperbillity but still a zoom.
The 400D is a good place to start I have been more than happy with mine ( a year later)

Hi Chris_cy
Im looking to purchase a 400D and accessories as well, and have found it cheaper and more selective to what you require to browse the web. Providing you know what kit you want for your needs.
I was going to use Jessops with the online voucher until i started looking around more. I shall now be using warehouse express as the camera and accessories that i need are ALL competively priced. (y)
Try this site below and happy searching!

http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/index.html

Hi and welcome!
I recently bought a 400D s/h. Its my first DSLR so can't comment in comparative terms. However very pleased with it!
Shop around and check you are getting value for money! Kerso on this forum does good deals on lenses if you buy just the camera body but don't necessarily turn your nose up at the 'bundles' as sometimes they can be really good value!
Shop around and compare are the keys!

Dunc

Thanks everyone :D

I look forward to checking out some of the pictures, i was very impressed with some of the macro shots !

I have a 400D also, it's definatly a good first DSLR.

There's no point in forking out like £600+ for one if you've never used one before.

I was thinking of going for the Nikon D80 (and I did want to get it instead) but it's just too expensive (I coulden't find one for under like £550+).

just to clarify about 'macro'....

Macro only has a loose definition.

A zoom lens with macro just means it will focus at a closer distance than a standard zoom lens. A dedicated macro lens used for bug close ups is capable of projecting an image onto the film/sensor as big as the bug ie 1:1. A zoom lens with macro will usually only magnify to 1:3 or maybe 1:2 - so useful but not 'true' macro.

just to clarify about 'macro'....

Macro only has a loose definition.

A zoom lens with macro just means it will focus at a closer distance than a standard zoom lens. A dedicated macro lens used for bug close ups is capable of projecting an image onto the film/sensor as big as the bug ie 1:1. A zoom lens with macro will usually only magnify to 1:3 or maybe 1:2 - so useful but not 'true' macro.

I see,i was hoping it wasn't a 'true' macro lens because i would liked to have a 2nd zoom lens with it :) So is this lens better than a standard zoom lens ? Would it deliver clearer images ?

Back