buying a canon film body

whitewash

Fishy Fingers
Edit My Images
Yes
looking on ebay for a half decent 35mm SLR canon body so i can play around, anyone got any suggestions, dont want to spend too much but dont want to get something crap, tbh all i want to be able to do is load it with fast B+W (im talking 800, 1600 iso) and use it at some gigs, id probably just have one of my primes strapped to it

im currently watching an Eos5 body on ebay

any other suggestions, things id quite like above all would be E-TTL metering although this is not absolutely a requirement as i usually use my flash manually anyway

hope you people can help!

jamie

I have 2 EOS5 bodies and must say they're fantastic bodies, only criticism really is that even with an auxillary flash on it insists on using its own af assist rather than the one from the flash. It's quiet, quick and easy to use, can't reccomend enough.

If it helps you out at all I've had three film EOS bodies, the 1000, the 100 and a 5.

The 1000 was great and never let me down but is very slow and felt like it was made from cardboard. The 100 is brilliant, always spot on and quiet as a mouse. Not much of a big deal at gigs though and the 5 was of course by far the best camera and I could never fault it.

Oddly enough though, I never liked using it, I don't know why but I always prefered the feel of the 100 and used it whenever I could could get away with the lower spec.

None of them short of the EOS 1 are likey to offer much in the way of very low light AF and if you're using flash then frame rate is not going to be all that important. All that kind of leaves you open to almost any EOS in the range. I've yet to meet a bad one so anything with reasonably light use should serve you well.

You could look at an A1, there's usually some on fleabay and they're one of the coolest cameras ever made IMHO. You can often pick em up with several lenses for peanuts. You don't get AF but no bid I'd have thought?

want to use my existing lenses so has to be EF compatible

automfocus is a must as my eyesight is so bad, i just have to trust the camera as its closer than my eyes would get it

i did look at an A1 but was put off by the lack of AF

When i get to work i will show my mate this, he has an EOS film camera and has just bought a 350D, he may wel want to sell his with his lenses etc.

Will let you know later this morning

Sorry i didn't come back, he decided he might as well keep it, can't sell it for a lot of money so he would be just as well to keep it.

Congrats on winning the EOS5 though.

The EOS 5 is really cool. I always wondered why that strange eye controlled focus system didn't make it onto more models. It can be a really handy tool when it's set up right.

I used an Eos 5 for several years after my T90 died
camera.jpg

Very good camera, done lots of gigs with it too no problem.

Back