Buying a lens abroad

Edit My Images
No
Hi all,

There's a small chance I may be in India later this month, and it so happens that Amazon India are selling the Nikon 24-120mm f/4 version for approximately £420. The same lens is listed on Amazon UK for £730.

Given the substantial difference in cost, the fact that the order is Amazon fulfilled and the worldwide warranty on the Nikkor is there any reason to not pick it up while I'm there?

Thanks in advance.

Where would you collect it from, or have it delivered to?
Also, presumably you'll be liable to taxes etc (unlikely to get pulled I know)

HDEW £489.
Panamoz £477

I'd get it delivered to a hotel. I did the same thing a couple of years ago in the US, ordered some accessories from B&H.

Normally I'd just do this but the huge differential in price has given me some pause. Though Amazon are usually a great retailer to deal with, so just a bit unsure.

My advice would be to check out some of the local photography stores where you are going in India. They probably have websites & phone numbers. It's likely they will have them for a comparable price, or possibly cheaper. Remember also to check in on VAT refunds (bring your passport when you purchase it and ask for a VAT receipt), I've bought items from Asia before then claimed the tax back at the airport (at the source country). Not India mind you. Oh, and give yourself time at the airport to do this, sometimes the queues can be long.

Naturally don't 'forget' to declare it on entry to the UK, it's so easy when you left the box in India and have it attached to your camera! :).

Last edited:
Naturally don't 'forget' to declare it on entry to the UK, it's so easy when you left the box in India and have it attached to your camera!

Or you could fold up the box & post it home with the instruction book etc......just in case you forgot it & left it in your hotel. ;)

Thanks jojo90 and OldCarlos. Will keep it off the body till I'm back in blighty. :)

I'll keep that in mind. If my calculations are correct, I'll owe HM government slightly under £11.

Back