Buying a medium format camera

There are various light seal kits on ebay - the better ones sell for around £25, and feature good quality foam seals plus various tools to do the job.

I paid £130 for an SQA, 80mm PS, speed grip, 220 Back (rubbish) and a metered prism. That was the cheap bit, the WLF, three 120 backs, 50mm & 150mm are what cost the moeny.

I paid £130 for an SQA, 80mm PS, speed grip, 220 Back (rubbish) and a metered prism. That was the cheap bit, the WLF, three 120 backs, 50mm & 150mm are what cost the moeny.

I think that's the same for me, and is what I should be looking at spending the money on. I'm not too fussed right away at having more than one lens or more than one back, just to save money.

mxv

Mifsuds are really expensive and from what I've heard on the forum, I don't fancy much buying from them.

MXV only have the one over-priced body in stock too, but their accessories are pretty well priced.

Mr Cad is only short of a mask and a gun!

FFordes will usually talk turkey if you give 'em a ring. ;)

Have we considered an EC or S2/S2A, or a 500cm ?

Might even find a cheap GS1

I can't remember if TLR's have been chucked over the shoulder or not...

I Have a couple of Mamiya C330's with 4 lenses in total, picked the lot up for £200 a while back, lovely things I really like em :)

Alan

Ooo, I'm watching a C330 myself on fleabay (just out of interest), I think its the only TLR with a lens range, and a bit of a meat head for a TLR......I like meat heads..

C330 TLR

Bronica EC S2/S2A
These are models prior to the SQ series.

Hasselblad 500 cm

Not really into TLR cameras. Just not for me, yes that is me being completely ignorant :p
Have used 2 before, and just much preferred using the slr (if that's what it's called!)

Blad is pretty expensive isn't it?

The GS1 is the last of the M/F Bronicas, I think it has its own lens range and few if any bits compatible with SQ, that will limit the availability of accessories, I dunno not sure..
Bladds aren't that bad, its the glass that stings....a lot

you get twice as much slr, with a tlr......:LOL:

The GS1 is the last of the M/F Bronicas, I think it has its own lens range and few if any bits compatible with SQ, that will limit the availability of accessories, I dunno not sure..

Aha I should hope so considering it has 2 lenses :p
I just found that, through my experience of them, they were difficult to use and unreliable.
They sure are pretty though :)

I just did a bit of research on the GS1, too.
It's got good reviews and I like the fact it's 6x7, but there is very little availability and it's slightly more expensive.

Must say I've always found the 330 easy to use and reliable (but I might have been lucky I guess), lenses are lovely quality, only pain is watching the paralax i.e one the viewing lens looks slightly out of line than the taking lens, but there's a guide for correcting this in the viewfinder so it's not really an issue, and not being able to swap backs, but I can live with that as I only use B&W in it usually.

Big bonus to me was it was cheap as I couldn't afford any more cash !

Alan

I've used a Lubitel TLR 2, or something like that. I found it quite difficult to use and focus, but that was only for one frame.

I've also used one that my photography teacher lent me for a roll, but I didn't like using it.
He also lent me his Mamiya 645, which I much preferred.

I did weddings for a while with a C330, swapping films as I went along. Character building! :D

LOL The C330 is still a bloody good camera. Not everyone's cuppa I'll grant you.

Well, if you do end up getting an SQ-A, there are some good deals on accessories to be had. Cough... :)

The SQ does seem to be the best fit to what you're looking for. I would stay well clear of the GS1 if I was looking. It's a really good camera but as it only ever sold in small numbers and nothing for it is really compatable with anything else, any lenses or bits are going to be tough to get, expensive and most likely both.

Exciting stuff:

My friend at work's friend is looking to sell her absolute mint condition Mamiya 645.

She brought it into work and is giving me an indefinite 'try before you buy' period.

I'm going to put as many rolls through it as I can, but I'm not really sold on 6x4.5 format, ideally wanted 6x6 or 6x7.
But I'll give it a go. Maybe I'll fall in love :p

Also
I've seen around different types of SQ body, and searched around google but found no explanation.

Could someone with a bit of knowhow explain the differences?

I'll give it a go.

SQ - No idea on this one :shrug:
SQ-A - Slightly automatic, i.e. light meter
SQ-Ai - No idea on the difference between this and the SQ-Ai
SQ-B - Fully manual, no light meter, slightly newer than above
SQ-AM - Just the SQ-A with a built in speed grip

Also the differences between the backs:

I'm seeing the following:

SQ 120 - think this is what it's meant to be called
SQA 120 - the SQA bit is irrelevant, fits on all SQ cameras?
SQA 120J - 6x4.5 format?

Oohh I feel like such a newbie all over again asking all these questions :D

I'm not really sold on 6x4.5 format, ideally wanted 6x6 or 6x7.
But I'll give it a go. Maybe I'll fall in love

Lots of people love 6*45 and feel it's the perfect blend of light weight cameras and decent neg size, so you might well find it's just perfect.

My money is that you don't. I have two 6*45 systems and neither fire me up in terms of that "real camera" feeling. I have a Mamiya 645afd that I use for a digi back and a bronny ETRSi that's not quite made it out of the case yet.

A great place to start though and a very timely loan. (y)

Also
I've seen around different types of SQ body, and searched around google but found no explanation.

Could someone with a bit of knowhow explain the differences?

I'll give it a go.

SQ - No idea on this one :shrug:
SQ-A - Slightly automatic, i.e. light meter
SQ-Ai - No idea on the difference between this and the SQ-Ai
SQ-B - Fully manual, no light meter, slightly newer than above
SQ-AM - Just the SQ-A with a built in speed grip

Also the differences between the backs:

I'm seeing the following:

SQ 120 - think this is what it's meant to be called
SQA 120 - the SQA bit is irrelevant, fits on all SQ cameras?
SQA 120J - 6x4.5 format?

Oohh I feel like such a newbie all over again asking all these questions :D

SQ-B is a budget SQ-A, with a few bits and bobs missing, we did SQ-B on page 2

Wiki for the rest

Back