Buying a new Nikon kit

Name
Kardo Ayoub
Edit My Images
Yes
HI all,
I have just given my D300 and my 18-200 kit to a new photographer to use in the middle east, he is a very good photo jornalist but couldn't affort a decent kit and I want to move to FF so it gave me a decent reason to mske the move.
Now I'm look to buy a D700 but I only have £2500 budget.
I would like to get the nikon 24-70 or nikon 28-70, no so keen on the 24-120, but they are out of my budget with that money I think. so the question is what is a good lens to start with. I mainly shoot street, outdoor portraits and general family stuff.
Also I dont mind 2nd hand lenses but the body I want to buy new.
Thank you for your help.

How about to go with a D700 a Tamron 28-75mm 2.8,(about £240ish s/h) a Nikon 85mm 1.8 (£230ish s/h) and a Nikon 70-300mm vr (about £330ish s/h) :)

tamron 28-75 is my main used lens on my sony ;-)

My "standard" lens on the D700 is a Sigma 24-70 f/2.8. Mifsuds had one listed in their AP ad last week and might still have it at £269 +P&P. Should leave enough change for a fast prime or 2 as well.

Couple of used lenses as a suggestion, both superb optically and both produce really nice images.

35-70 f2.8D should be around £300 used.

28-105 f3.5 - f4.5D should be around £150 used (this lens is a steal).

The Nikon 28-105 3.5-4.5 D is a great lens for the street, its a bit soft in the corners and because of this it is very cheap to buy second hand, on the good side it's well made, half the size of a nikon 24-70mm 2.8 and the distortion is very good .

The Nikon 28-105 3.5-4.5 D is a great lens for the street, its a bit soft in the corners and because of this it is very cheap to buy second hand, on the good side it's well made, half the size of a nikon 24-70mm 2.8 and the distortion is very good .

I would not say that mine is soft in the corners, great little lens, sharp, great colour, and looking at the damage mine sustained before I got it, definitely robust. For what they cost you would need to spend an awful lot more money to see better results, then you would need to look hard.

I would not say that mine is soft in the corners, great little lens, sharp, great colour, and looking at the damage mine sustained before I got it, definitely robust. For what they cost you would need to spend an awful lot more money to see better results, then you would need to look hard.

Mine isn't soft either. This was the first lens I bought in preparation for the D700, and while I don't use it much, when I do it always surprises me how good it is.

Obviously a much more useful focal range on full frame.

I only say a little soft, compared to a 24-70mm 2.8 but look at the price difference, I love this little lens.

Thank you guys. I will take on board all the advise and do some research on the suggested lenses and take it from there.
If there is anything else please let me know.

I'm about to sell the 85 1.8... brilliant lens.. i'm going mad and getting the 1.4!

Back