Buying a present.

Edit My Images
No
If you had a budget of £500-600 and were buying someone a camera for present with a general (kit type) lens - what would you go for?

Sony a6000 16-50 seeming okay at the mo.

Any suggestions welcomed.

Who knows??? If they are used to a make then I would be tempted to follow that. DSLR or mirrorless? Who is it for, what will they use it for?

I would probably go Nikon DSLR or Fuji - Maybe the XT100 or the XT20. SO many variables though.

Fuji XT20 with the 18-55, which is probably the best kit lens out there for APSC. I would definitely go mirrorless whatever the make or model. I take it you're talking someone who's never used a decent camera before? they have been using compacts or their phone and want to learn a bit more about photography?

Like Uncle Bob, I'd go for a gift voucher.

Of agree, but gift vouchers are a bit meh though, it's probably the more sensible idea. But if you want to give a physical gift for them to open, something they've been asking for but couldn't decide with a voucher either way . . Then you have to really know the person I think

Male, female, young, old, experience level, intended use?

Change the question slightly - "If you were buying someone a vehicle as a present?" and that might help us all think about the requirements rather than the solution.

The thing with gift vouchers if that they potentially tie you to a limited range and possibly rule out better deals. Amazon voucher maybe but then that might get spent on somehting else.

Jessops selling the XT-2 for under £600, you can add a kit type lens cheaply enough.

To be honest not something I would buy as a present.

I'd buy Ms d00d some gear @ £500-600 if she showed an interest. I'd take her to a couple of camera shops and point out the basic differences.

I learnt many years ago, she doesn't like surprise presents, she likes to do the choosing, whilst I like to do advising. :giggle:

To be honest not something I would buy as a present.

It's the very kind of thing I'd love to buy someone who would be interested enough. I would love to be ordering Camera gear for the kids for Christmas or birthdays for example, but they have very little interest :( I bought my missus an RX100 years back, and she adored it ... for about a month ... then asked me would I sell it on so she could buy stuff she actually wants :D

It's the very kind of thing I'd love to buy someone who would be interested enough. I would love to be ordering Camera gear for the kids for Christmas or birthdays for example, but they have very little interest :( I bought my missus an RX100 years back, and she adored it ... for about a month ... then asked me would I sell it on so she could buy stuff she actually wants :D

I'll rephrase that, wouldn't buy a camera as a surprise present.

My daughter loves camera gear, so much that she spent two days at Photokina last year
You can buy her something safe in the knowledge it would be appreciated :)

If the person who is getting the gift actually wants a camera why not take them out shopping for one then they can try them out and see what appeals

Back