Buying a printer on saturday but?

Edit My Images
Yes
I need a good printer not a scanner just a printer do to my own prints !

Basically i did some wedding shots and they really like em but wondered if i could do some 5x8 prints :)

Any recommendations?

Depends on price and size. If you just want up to A4, try the Epson Stylus Photo R360. Comes highly recommended, around £75
I`ve always been an HP man, but recently bought an Epson Photo printer and it is incredible.
Compatible inks can be bought from internet-ink.co.uk, I have used them in an HP photo printer, they are really as good as the originals, cheaper, with double the ink. I will try them with the new Epson soon. Will save a fortune.
Allan

Depends entirely on how much you want to spend. I like the dye-sub printers myself, and I also have an Epson R800 which gives good results if you use decent paper - I recommend Ilford Gallerie.

Compatible inks can be bought from internet-ink.co.uk, I have used them in an HP photo printer, they are really as good as the originals, cheaper, with double the ink. I will try them with the new Epson soon. Will save a fortune.
Allan

I've had 3 Epson printers and I can say categorically they do not like 'compatible' inks! Maybe I've been unlucky, but I've tried a few different types and the results are always very disappointing. I also find they tend to clog up quickly. So unless you really are desperate, my advice is stick with Epson ink.

I've had 3 Epson printers and I can say categorically they do not like 'compatible' inks! Maybe I've been unlucky, but I've tried a few different types and the results are always very disappointing. I also find they tend to clog up quickly. So unless you really are desperate, my advice is stick with Epson ink.

Completely agree. I've used both Epson and Canon printers and the only time I've had problems with them have been after using compatible inks. Just don't pay full price for them. Try somewhere like 7dayshop.

check out the canon pixma 4500 the resolution somthing like 9600 x2800 at around £65
gwh

I have used an Epson 300 and now have the 800 with an off the printer ink system, no problems!

I would second the Epson 360 as a cheap printer, but would only use genuine inks, epson direct are a good source often cheaper than the high street with free postage

I think I'm on my 7th or 8th Epson printer (still got 4 in good working order) and the only genuine ink to go through any of them has been the stuff supplied with them. I've only ever bought compatible inks and cannot remember ever being disappointed with them.

Here's another vote for the Canon Pixma iP4500. I bought mine a couple of minths back and it's really good. Produces excellent prints.

Depends entirely on how much you want to spend. I like the dye-sub printers myself, and I also have an Epson R800 which gives good results if you use decent paper - I recommend Ilford Gallerie.

At the camera club on Tuesday, they had a very nice lady in doing a talk about colour management [yes, I know, the irony of it for those that read my thread about problems with colour in CS3] and using proper profiles for different printer/paper combinations. She demonstrated this on an Epson R2400 [with an ink-flow], the first dye-sub printer I have seen in action and was amazed by the results! I have prints here from a good quality 'normal' inkjet and they just dont come close, so I after that bit of waffle, another vote here for dye-subs (y)

You will often find the cheaper the printer, the more expensive it is to run.
In some cases when you come to buy a new full set of inks it's more expensive then the original printer !

Some manufacturers use all sorts of dodges like only partially filling / small quantity cartridges with the new printer.

I've just bought a Canon Pixma 4500 - looks to me to be very good quality and a bargin at £60.01 (PC world will price match amazon less 10% of the difference). I can't comment on ink though as I haven't printed much yet.

I've just bought a Canon Pixma 4500 - looks to me to be very good quality and a bargin at £60.01 (PC world will price match amazon less 10% of the difference). I can't comment on ink though as I haven't printed much yet.

Is that online or instore? I think I am going to get a Pixma 4500 this weekend...

How do you get the price match?

Is that online or instore? I think I am going to get a Pixma 4500 this weekend...

How do you get the price match?

By phone or instore, the details are here; http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/editorial/price-match-promise.
You need to either call them with their model number and where you have the alternative price, Amazon was the best I found and they will verify it and place the order for delivery or reserve it in your closest store. Or, print the page from Amazon showing the price (must include delivery) and that it is in stock and take it into the store and they will match it. I had no problem and the guy on the till says he saves a fortune price matching everything he buys from the store! They won't price match TVs but they will everything else including cameras from a number of major retailers including Amazon and Play.com

Thanks for the link and apologies for the thread hijack...

She demonstrated this on an Epson R2400 [with an ink-flow], the first dye-sub printer I have seen in action and was amazed by the results! I have prints here from a good quality 'normal' inkjet and they just dont come close, so I after that bit of waffle, another vote here for dye-subs (y)

I am a little confused. The epson 2400 is not a dye -sub printer, but a pigment bassed printer.

Dye sub printers usually print in three stages, as they only print one colour in each pass, and the biggest ones you can buy from a store are A4 ones. Did they demonstrait another printer that was dye sub?

Completely agree. I've used both Epson and Canon printers and the only time I've had problems with them have been after using compatible inks. Just don't pay full price for them. Try somewhere like 7dayshop.
Looks like I`ll stick with original inks then. Thanks for the info. They do work with HP though, so it may be worth considering an HP photo printer if only for the cheaper inks?
Whatever you get, check ink prices first.
Allan

Another vote for the R80, but as other people have mentioned it's very thirsty...

Epson Stylus Photo R285 , any comments on this one?... saw it today but damn are the multipack ink expensive!

I'll also write down all the printer ones you recommend and check out for prices :)

Excellent printer, same as the 360 I think but minus the lcd screen for direct printing I expect. Buy genuine refills if you must but you can get a full set of inks for less than £15.

I have erm....8 Epson printers currently. They all run Jet Tec ink and never had one clog up on me, and some are left months between prints. The only problem I sometimes have is sometimes the printers dont recognise the ink when you put it in. You have to turn the printer off etc and try again, which is a pain in the arse if you are in the middle of a print run :( but only had it happen 3 or 4 times out of a good hundred or so times.

Epson are getting cocky with chips and stuff now. I have one Epson I got cheap that really doesnt like any compatible ink (in fact there werent any compatibles last time I checked) - seems they keep changing the chips now...or something like that.

I am a little confused. The epson 2400 is not a dye -sub printer, but a pigment bassed printer.

Dye sub printers usually print in three stages, as they only print one colour in each pass, and the biggest ones you can buy from a store are A4 ones. Did they demonstrait another printer that was dye sub?

:bonk: and thus demonstrating I know naff all about printers as I just dont use them [well I do, but for office documents, not photos] - yes its pigment based. She was talking about dye-subs and stuff they are doing with them, which are fabulous and we looked at prints from them, but the 2400 produced there and then some great results, used to demonstrate the effectveness of ink-flo systems and using different papers with a bespoke profile. Apologies for the confuddlement.

Edit - FWIW, the last expensive Epson Photo printer I had, about 5 years ago packed up after 14 months of very little use and only ever used genuine cartridges too. On the other hand, the £30 colour epson C48 we used at worked for documents got reset to Zero 4 times and still kept going with the cheapest nastiness compatible cartridges money could buy! :dunno:

GOOD decision (Canon Pixma iP4500). I've been an Epson fan for years but lately have got so peeeed off with clogged print heads and wasting gallons of ink cleaning them that I bought a Canon Pixma Pro 9000 last year. I cannot overstate how absolutely 100.000% delighted I am with it. Heads have never clogged and never needed cleaning. When a cartridge says it is empty, it is absolutely see-through - not a drop left - unlike Epson with their bloody smart chip, designed to maximise profits.

Oh - forgot to mention the print quality - absolutely STUNNING. Unbelievable.

So last month I bought a Pixma iP4500 for my teenage kids and that is brilliant also. AND fast.

Blimey, not one call for HP!:(...... until now:D
I have a HP 9180 (A3) good quality with larger cartridges making it sllightly cheaper. Would have liked an inkflow system but it's not available on the HP. Friend of mine has Epson A3 and inkflow systems and has had nothing but problems.:crying:
That said anything less than A4 size I have printed at the printers.

Blimey, not one call for HP!:(.
Well,.
I've got an HP8750, A3, a big beast, only ever used it with HP inks and paper. Quality (for me) is brilliant, although I've not used another photo printer so I've got nothing to compare it with. I don't like the driver interface, I don't find it logical.

I use Qimage http://www.ddisoftware.com/qimage/ for my photo printing, although it has a rather idiosyncratic interface.

GOOD decision (Canon Pixma iP4500). .

Finally got this and i'm well impressed its so fast and quality is high...

My only annoyance why didn't it come with a USB cable , even on the box it says it isn't included... Why not :razz:

Continuous ink systems for the HP B9180 are listed by an eBayer in Canada.

They are more available for the D7160, which swayed it for me when I came across a new one for less than £40. Prints were marred by a feed roller, but HP replaced the printer under warranty, quickly and without fuss. Didn't cost me anything for carriage.

I print TIFFs from memory cards, so haven't installed the driver (the printer's in another room). There's quite a delay while it sets itself up for a print job. The prints aren't the full image as supplied, but I'm happy with the quality.

Just in case there are problems with the Pixma, here are some findings by other users:
http://www.amazon.com/review/produc..._dp_hist_1?_encoding=UTF8&filterBy=addOneStar

I bought a good quality extra long lead from pcworld a few years ago, it gives me a bit of leeway in where I place the printer.

Back