Buying a small, light Canon SLR for my girlfriend.

Edit My Images
Yes
My girlfriend is keen to start learning about photography, and I'm looking to buy her a small DSLR to get started.

I have a 5D3 and 6D plus a range of lenses, which she is starting to play with - she just finds them a bit too cumbersome and heavy to carry on any regular basis (as do I, tbh). I know a seemingly sensible option would be to set her up with an olympus mirrorless or similar, but I'd like to stick with Canon for now so that she can use my lenses/flash etc when she likes.

I haven't looked at the entry-level canons since the 550d... what would I be looking at if lightness/compactness is the priority? Is the 1300D any good? My gear will always be there for her if she wants to use it - I'm wondering if the 1300D would feel like such a step down that it will end up gathering dust despite the weight/size saving. On the other hand, I'm sure sensor tech etc. has come on a decent way since the 550D.

Any thoughts would be appreciated :)

Eos 100d Dslr
Eos M for mirror less - can use canon glass with AF using adaptor.

Last edited:
Well if the 1300D is such a "step down"(!) I still have my 350D and it still produces excellent photos!

Frankly from what I've seen of the 1300D it seems excellent value for the money, and if she uses your lenses then even better.

Well if the 1300D is such a "step down"(!) I still have my 350D and it still produces excellent photos!

Frankly from what I've seen of the 1300D it seems excellent value for the money, and if she uses your lenses then even better.
sorry, that wasn't the best choice of words!

My 550D was also excellent, to be fair. I bought my 5d mainly for outside sports photography where I really wanted the better AF, FPS and weather sealing. For a lot of other uses thought the 550 did a superb job. I'm just a little unfamiliar with the newer super-small bodies Canon does - I thought the 1300d was a tiny body, but realise now I'm thinking of the 100d. It doesn't help that I'm living stateside now do translating between the XXXD and awful 'Rebel' titles on the fly :)

Eos 100d Dslr
Eos M for mirror less - can use canon glass with AF using adaptor.

My Missus uses a 100d and loves it. Another option may be an M3 with adapter?

Thanks for the recommendations guys. I hadn't really thought of the mirrorlesses since a friend of mine had a bad experience with the original M offering... I suppose they've probably improved since, however

How did he have a bad experience? Was one dropped on his head from a great height? Hehe

I have the original EOS M and love it for a walkabout camera,great with the 22mm lens. Ideal for holidays when i dont have to lug the camera bag around.

Certainly whatever the current xxxD, xxxxD and 100D DSLR's are quite a bit smaller than xxD and xD bodies, so worth checking those out. They'll work with all your current lenses too, but if those are too heavy, the kit 18-55 STM, 40mm STM, 50mm f1.8 STM and 55-250IS lenses are capable of good results.

EOS M range will take EF and EF-S lenses with an adaptor.

Can't imagine there is much difference between the 6d and entry level cameras particularly when using your lenses.

I have a 1300D, it does everything I need it to for now and allows me to take full control - which was important so I can really learn how it all works. It gets very good reviews for the price, it lacks many features of the bigger more expensive cameras, but for the money I think it's really good value.

100d nice & small

Thanks for the recommendations guys. I hadn't really thought of the mirrorlesses since a friend of mine had a bad experience with the original M offering... I suppose they've probably improved since, however

The M3 is a great little camera (I had one), especially if you can pick one up with the EVF.

The 100d seems to have been around for ages now must be due an upgrade! If canon put the latest crop sensor in one I think that they would have a decent seller!

I'm just a little unfamiliar with the newer super-small bodies Canon does - I thought the 1300d was a tiny body, but realise now I'm thinking of the 100d. It doesn't help that I'm living stateside now do translating between the XXXD and awful 'Rebel' titles on the fly :)

Another vote for the 100D.

It's badged as the SL1 in the US.

Back