Buying a Sony A350 - but what lens?

Name
Rick
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, after much deliberation I am considering taking the plunge for a Sony A350. Previously used a nikon D50 at work and loved it but the lack of focus motor on the current lower models has put me off!

Only thing I'm not sure of is that the A350 kit lens seems to get iffy reviews.

What (cheap) lens should i get with it rather than the standard bundled item?

My main interest is portraiture but would like to be flexible. Any comments greatly appreciated.

the sony kit lens is fine! im sure it will do you, till u upgrade and decide on a better lens.

well, it looks like the new bodies & lenses (incl. a new kit) are starting to show up on Sony sites around the world so you might want to hang on a bit longer to see how they compare or if you are totally happy with the A350 if it drops in price.

Chris M - appreciate that offer but if what heidfirst is saying is true I dont want to buy now only for a revised model to appear weeks later! Any more info on that BTW?

Was really after a Canon 450d but the Sony price was hard to ignore!

The more I think about this, the more confused I get!! :help: Kit lens do seem to take cracking pics so that solves that query.

Might just wait to see the new Sonys though and if a bargain 450d comes up in the meantime I coudl be tempted to go that way. :)

Thanks for all the comments

the A350 is a cracking little camera,easy to use interface etc..live view is something i hardly use,but when i have used it,it's been a godsend for those low down perspective and macro shots...and if i'm honest,i've been tempted to sell mine since getting the A700,but also tempted to keep it for the live view/as well as a back up camera.

I have the 700 and a 300....and love the liveview for off the hip candids (the pivot's cool). No idea why anyone would want video on them though.

Back