Beginner Buying a USED CAMERA - customs/duty (Help required)

Name
Harry
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi Guys

What are the rules/laws for customs and paying Duty on the goods in regards to buying from overseas ? ..

I am currently looking at the possibility of buying a USED camera from Australia that has over 10,000 actuations on the shutter , Am I liable to pay duty on this in the UK even thought the camera is more than 1 year old ? - I was always under the assumption that if Duty and/or Vat were to be paid on goods purchased from the likes of Australia, Canada, USA etc that it only applies to goods that are ""Brand NEW"" ...

Thanks in advance for any information

Coho-Blue

Last year I bought a Nikon F2 from a Japanese dealer - the camera was made in the early 1970s - and I paid both import duty and then VAT on the total of camera cost and duty. On a camera that cost £150, I paid £52 duty and VAT.

Hi Guys

What are the rules/laws for customs and paying Duty on the goods in regards to buying from overseas ? ..

I am currently looking at the possibility of buying a USED camera from Australia that has over 10,000 actuations on the shutter , Am I liable to pay duty on this in the UK even thought the camera is more than 1 year old ? - I was always under the assumption that if Duty and/or Vat were to be paid on goods purchased from the likes of Australia, Canada, USA etc that it only applies to goods that are ""Brand NEW"" ...

Thanks in advance for any information

Coho-Blue

No - used as well - from businesses or private sellers.

Import duty + vat on total of ( cost of goods and services + shipping costs )
You will usually be charged a fee by the couriers / RM to handle the paperwork - expect 8-15 quid.

May I ask why you’re planning on buying a camera on the other side world when there are several excellent dealers based in the uk?

Because it was at a very very good price - the camera was in pristine condition and the fella was looking for a Quick sale ...

Doesn`t matter now as its gone ..

However, for future reference if I were to buy a used Camera from a dealer Or private seller in lets say, the USA for £1,000 would I be liable for import costs even though its USED ? ? ? ..

thanks for you help

Coho-Blue

However, for future reference if I were to buy a used Camera from a dealer Or private seller in lets say, the USA for £1,000 would I be liable for import costs even though its USED ? ? ? ..

Yes, as already answered by greyowl

....unless you can prove that it was originally purchased in the UK and the appropriate taxes already paid

Bear in mind also, if HMRC feel that the value declared by the seller is too low (and maybe false) they are at liberty to base duty and VAT on their assessment of the value. It is then up to you to prove that the low value is actually what you paid.

Back