Buying a used D750 over a D810 & D850

Name
Gil
Edit My Images
Yes
Really need a second body to compliment my D500. First for reliability so that should one of my bodies stop working / get broken accidentally I have something else to use but also for all of the benefits of going Full Frame.

My conclusion is that the D810 and D850 will probably produce files too large for my requirements - requiring more time to cull and more expense to store - compared to the D750 which produces smaller files which will cost less in time and storage. Also the D750 is said to have 'sporty' AF capabilities which I understand the D810 isn't so great at in low light situations. Low light performance is said to give less noise at higher ISOs also. I foresee using the camera in Nightclub / party environments quite often. There's also the extra added purchase cost of the D810 and D850 vs the D750 which is swaying me towards the D750.

Is the D750 still a worthy professional FX camera in 2019?

I'd like to purchase better glass, some nice primes, and a FX zoom to replace by DX zoom - so the D750 being cheaper will mean I can get new lenses sooner.

I understand that the D750 had a manufacturing issue - and I'm wondering the best way to avoid purchasing a second hand D750 which will later fail as a result of the issue not being rectified. Also would purchasing a new D750 have the issue? How can you tell if the manufacture of the camera was before or after the issue? I was considering doing a trade in through mbp, but realise that they probably have less of a understanding of the status of the issue in each individual used camera they sell.

Any advice much appreciated.

Also, recommendations on zoom lenses much appreciated. Should I consider Tamron G2, and Sigma ART lenses compared to the original Nikon 24-70 f2.8?

Last edited:
The 24mp FF sensors are less fussy about hand movement than the higher res ones.

With 36mp + they are best on a tripod taking a pic of something still.

12 - 16 and 24 are better for sports / action / wildlife in my opinion.

So I would get a d750

You can check the serial numbers of D750s to see if they are affected by any recall issues. http://advisory.nikonrepair.eu/D750_2_Check.aspx?Language=EN

Cameras that have been fixed have a black dot in the tripod socket. New cameras shouldn't be affected.

The D750 is still a good low light camera. But then so is the D700. :LOL:

750 :)
I found quite a difference in low light performance after using the D600, I use it for outside night photography (Beltane Fire festivals), pole dancing competitions :) and drum crew gigs in cellars. The latter two I can't use flash, Beltane is almost entirely flash.
I use a D7200 as a back up and with a portrait lens.
I use the Tamron G2 24-70 - great lens, the VR is very good, supposedly better than the Nikon equivalent.
To be honest, there isn't much difference between the D7200 and the D750 in low light/focusing/quality.

the d750 still amazes me in low light even after owning it as long as i have. Mine still needs to go back to nikon for the second recall that affects the shutter but being honest i don't notice any issues with it and only really plan to send it back on the basis that it will get a new shutter out of it. The vast majority of people on here are honest when they sell stuff too so don't be afraid to ask if you buy from the classified although that is obviously no use to you when using ebay.

The D750 is very good. There is more fine detail in the D810 and D850 files viewing at 100% on screen (the latter's files especially look exceptionally clean and crisp) but yes I'd say the D750 is perfectly suited to the shooting you want to do for the reasons you've mentioned. The D810 and D850 are probably more aimed at landscape photographers (the D750 is excellent for this too). Just an aside though, people often say the bigger sensors of a D810 or D850 expose poor technique - I can't say I've noticed that at all, poor technique is poor technique and will show up on any camera in my opinion.

the d750 still amazes me in low light even after owning it as long as i have. Mine still needs to go back to nikon for the second recall that affects the shutter but being honest i don't notice any issues with it and only really plan to send it back on the basis that it will get a new shutter out of it. The vast majority of people on here are honest when they sell stuff too so don't be afraid to ask if you buy from the classified although that is obviously no use to you when using ebay.

Do you know what the first recall was? Also will Nikon complete the work on the D750 even if you are not the original owner? How does the process work? Cheers in advance :)

the first recall was something to do with a very slight light leak on the mount, can't honestly say i noticed it on mine but i got it sorted anyways just to be safe, the second recall is the shutter one, again i can't really say i've had any trouble with mine but at some stage i will get it done. I suspect many of the cameras that come under the recall are probably fine but because they are basing it on a batch of serial numbers they are just covering their own backsides. Iirc i think nikon will fix it regardless of warranty, mine is a grey import too and they still did it but i would suggest that someone more clued up on these things than i may be able to answer you for definite. Failing that just give their repair centre a call and i am sure they can answer that for you :)

D750 is still definitely worthy of producing awesome detail and works well in low light. The part where it also shines over a D810 is focus acquisition in low light. That drove me nuts on the D810 so I upgraded to a D850 (among other reasons).

If I had not wanted the extra capabilities of the D850 (which most people can do without), I would have kept the D750.

750 is great, a solid all round performer!

Is the D750 still a worthy professional FX camera in 2019?

Just bought a brand new one last week, was dubious about buying a 4 year old model, but I have to say it is definitely a really good camera, just have to get used to the way Nikon works coming from Canon.

Just bought a brand new one last week, was dubious about buying a 4 year old model, but I have to say it is definitely a really good camera, just have to get used to the way Nikon works coming from Canon.

Did you price hunt before you purchased? Any good deals around?

I think I have a mild case of GAS. To speed up getting a FF body I was considering on a swap from my D500 to a D750 but realise there's alot of disadvantages with regards buffer and AF by doing that, and according to what I've read, not a drastic improvement when it comes to high ISO performance. Other than for the better background compression of FF I'm thinking I might regret the change. I'm now thinking about waiting until I can afford to have both and to predominantly shoot prime over zoom and employing 2 bodies during weddings, each with a different prime. Maybe my new 35mm FF on a D750 when I get one and my 50mm on my D500.

I think I have a mild case of GAS. To speed up getting a FF body I was considering on a swap from my D500 to a D750 but realise there's alot of disadvantages with regards buffer and AF by doing that, and according to what I've read, not a drastic improvement when it comes to high ISO performance. Other than for the better background compression of FF I'm thinking I might regret the change. I'm now thinking about waiting until I can afford to have both and to predominantly shoot prime over zoom and employing 2 bodies during weddings, each with a different prime. Maybe my new 35mm FF on a D750 when I get one and my 50mm on my D500.

Good idea.

I had the D750 and 'upgraded' to the D850. The D850 is pretty much better in every way (including AF) except for high ISO noise performance. However, both are extremely capable cameras and both are great all rounders, you can pretty much shoot everything with either.

Nikon has great lossless compression so the D850 files aren't 'that' big, but obviously are bigger than the D750's. The D850 is noticeably heavier than the D750, although in terms of size and 'feel' it will feel more like your D500 than the D750 will. Also, the button placement of the D850 is more similar to the D500 than the D750 is, which means you will be able to swap from one to the other easier.

Well a D750 sounds like the easiest choice but if I were buying a second Nikon body I'd have a hard time ignoring how cheap used copies of the D800 are now.

Nowhere near a worthy successor to the D700. The D700 was the end of an era and then Nikon concentrated on cameras which were good at one type of photography and not great for another. I had a D810 and still wouldnt say that was a TRUE successor the the D700 although it was getting closer. The D850 has the quality, speed, resolution, functions etc to carry it off. Maybe if the D800 had come out 5 years before it did then we may have been saying it was a sucessor

Nowhere near a worthy successor to the D700. The D700 was the end of an era and then Nikon concentrated on cameras which were good at one type of photography and not great for another. I had a D810 and still wouldnt say that was a TRUE successor the the D700 although it was getting closer. The D850 has the quality, speed, resolution, functions etc to carry it off. Maybe if the D800 had come out 5 years before it did then we may have been saying it was a sucessor

That's your opinion though, and for your style of photography, for me ... I know which I'd much, much rather have, and it would be the D800

Get the D850, a great do it all and tge detail is fantastic. Its the first Nikon i could say is a worthy replacement for the D700.

I think the D850 is outside my budget tbh, I would love it, but can't justify it at the moment

Well a D750 sounds like the easiest choice but if I were buying a second Nikon body I'd have a hard time ignoring how cheap used copies of the D800 are now.
Even the original D800 was a worthy successor

Not considered the D800, D800E because I assumed they were less capable than the the D810? My biggest worry is AF - and although I've heard the D750 is great in low light, I'm finding that the D500 I have is actually better than all apart from the D850 in terms of AF in low light.

There is a D750 in for sale section, not mine though, I wouldn't part with it :)

Back