buying accessories

Edit My Images
No
Hi all!

i just starting to take an interest in digital photography and got my first dSLR, a canon eos 400D with a bundled canon EFS 18-55mm. i was hoping to get help on accessories that i should get (the brand, the prices and maybe the place to buy it). i have used the internet to read reviews and stuff but i hope to get opinions here.

things that i'm looking for:
a) lens
b) flash unit
c) carrying case (i move around a lot.)
d) anything that you think is good :D

regarding lens, i'm hoping someone could suggest what kind of lens i should get for starter, something that is multi-purpose. thanks!

there's loads of lens threads, depends what you want and the budget - low light, long reach, image stabalising, wide angle, portraits....

there's loads of lens threads, depends what you want and the budget - low light, long reach, image stabalising, wide angle, portraits....

well, i need 1 that is good for close range (for portrait etc) and another for long reach (telephoto, zoom lens.. ). IS is preferable because i'm prone to shake a lot :(

for the price, is not a problem right now as i'm saving money for it, not gonna buy it right away (although an L-class canon lens maybe a bit too much for me :p). thanks for the reply.

well 50mm f/1.8 would be a good place to start for portraits
then one of the 70..200mm L's I reckon (y)

maybe the 70-200 f/4 (non IS) is not too much 2nd hand.
does portraits, give a bit of reach, quite sharp

just got one and i cant wait for it to arrive. Heard loads of great things and i hear its a good place to start for L addiction :banana:

thanks for the idea guys.. i was looking around i wonder about these.. what do you guys think?

CANON EF-S 18-55MM F3.5-5.6 IS
Canon EF-S 55-250mm F4-5.6 IS

is it enough with just these 2? or is there maybe better lens outside of canon? and i would appreciate it more for any suggestion on other accessories that i would need (flash unit, filter etc).. :D

thanks again!

well 50mm f/1.8 would be a good place to start for portraits
then one of the 70..200mm L's I reckon (y)

+1 for the 50mm

Flash - You can't go wrong with a 580EX II but if you cannot afford one of those then look into one of the 430 series speedlites. I'm sure someone else can let you know about others.

Carry Case - There a loads of different types of bags/cases available, depends what your needs are I suppose

Anything you think is good - Hehe, not asking much here then LOL. Once you get into photography (I've been doing it since September) you'll find many things that you want that will be good for you or for a specific purpose. It gets very addictive. My list has grown and grown for the things I want / need :D

i have my eyes on 580EX II too. i'll definitely try to get that. what concern me the most is the lens. i'm not a professional photographer, just finally decided to pursue it as a serious hobby :D. currrently, i'm thinking of getting 2 lenses that could cover most occasion, from close-up to long range, and certainly a walkable lenses.

if i would mention a budget, i'd say not more than £600. i hope i can get something good with this budget. >.<

well 70..200 f4l, £380, 50mm, £60, 430 iirc £170, and a tesco carrier bag(y)

Back