BUYING ADVICE

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi peeps have found this lens at a great price does anybody have any experience from ordering off this website? have spoken on the phone using number on the site but got the usual sales patter they state delivery is within 5 working days and is UK stock from a UK warehouse have google earthed the store and it is a physical shop selling/repairing mobile phones am a little naive but they offer paypal as a payment source but cant see any link to camera lenses when using google earth.
here is the link
http://civictelecomonline.com/colle...ikon-nikkor-af-s-70-300mm-f-4-5-5-6g-if-ed-vr
anybody got any advice they could share concerning this retailer

No ideas about the retailer but I'd be happy using PayPal.

Hi peeps have found this lens at a great price does anybody have any experience from ordering off this website? have spoken on the phone using number on the site but got the usual sales patter they state delivery is within 5 working days and is UK stock from a UK warehouse have google earthed the store and it is a physical shop selling/repairing mobile phones am a little naive but they offer paypal as a payment source but cant see any link to camera lenses when using google earth.
here is the link
http://civictelecomonline.com/colle...ikon-nikkor-af-s-70-300mm-f-4-5-5-6g-if-ed-vr
anybody got any advice they could share concerning this retailer

Never heard of them, probably another grey importer. If thats the lens you want, I would buy from HDEW who are an established UK seller, the lens is roughly the same price. I have bought two D7000 from HDEW and if you look in the suppliers thread there's plenty of good comments for them.

HDEW > http://www.hdewcameras.co.uk/nikon-nikkor-af-s-70-300mm-f45-56g-if-ed-vr-283-p.asp

Last edited:
I've never heard of them either, but the poor English on their website sets off some warning bells, and their terms and conditions make it clear that:
  1. You will be in their hands for any 'local warranty' work (we will arrange (sic) the repair to be carried out by an (sic) UK service centre with appropriate guarantee). This will not be the Nikon agents, or whoever handles Nikon's UK warranty work.
  2. You will be acting as the importer (Please note that by making a purchase on this website you will be acting as the importer of the product for all purposes including all customs regulations,copyright and trademark laws.You accept that the role of Civic Telecom Online is limited to sourcing products and making them available for you to import directly from the country of origin). This means that you will be responsible for payment of any taxes and duties, which could increase the cost significantly.
There's a lot of useful information on the Shopping, Suppliers and Bargains forum, and I'd pass on this company.

Website domain created 14/10/2014 so not a long track record :)

1. You will be acting as the importer (Please note that by making a purchase on this website you will be acting as the importer of the product for all purposes including all customs regulations,copyright and trademark laws.You accept that the role of Civic Telecom Online is limited to sourcing products and making them available for you to import directly from the country of origin). This means that you will be responsible for payment of any taxes and duties, which could increase the cost significantly.

bargepole time... stay away IMHO

HDEW are £1 more at £279 and they are well known here with a good reputation (given that they are grey). Would pick them over the link you provided every time on current knowledge.

Last edited:
+1 on HDEW, bought from them a few times, great service and never any issues.

cheers guys for all the advice thats made my mind up for me am going down the HDEW route thanks to swanseajacks recommendation unless anybody can point me towards a better deal but either way I will be ordering before close of play today I have begun humming and arring towards either the nikon or the Tamron equivalent which is Tamron SP 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC USD nikon mount and I can pick this up for £289 in person from calumet albeit I just sent them the link from the suspicious site to see if they can price match it for £234 any or all advice welcomed and gratefully received

cheers guys for all the advice thats made my mind up for me am going down the HDEW route thanks to swanseajacks recommendation unless anybody can point me towards a better deal but either way I will be ordering before close of play today I have begun humming and arring towards either the nikon or the Tamron equivalent which is Tamron SP 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC USD nikon mount and I can pick this up for £289 in person from calumet albeit I just sent them the link from the suspicious site to see if they can price match it for £234 any or all advice welcomed and gratefully received

Maybe to late..............

I have owned both lenses your interested in and for me I prefered the Tamron. The photos seemed to have more pop to them than the Nikon and I thought he VC was better. The Nikon is slightly better built and it has the moving/action VR mode, and will hold value a little better than the Tamron.

Worth taking your camera to Calumet and trying them both out and looking at the pics later on your computer. Also, with Tamron you have the 5 year warranty.

As for the Tamron vs Nikon build, the Tamron I had, the front element was protruding by approx 2mm and you could see the jaggered / cut edge of element. I asked Into2020 ? (Tamron Importer) and they stated it was normal and it was also the case with replacement lens from Amazon.

You can just about see the protruding front element on pic below. You won't have this on the NIkon, hence the better build / finish.

DSC_1918 by swanseajack2013, on Flickr

Last edited:
just a quick update I opted for the Nikon AF-S 70-300mm f4.5-5.6G ED-IF VR from HDEW for £279 have received sale confirmation just awaiting a delivery date many many thanks for all the contributors to this thread especially those that advised against the use of the civic telecom site after livechat on their site i became even more suspicious especially after quoting their own terms and conditions to the person on the other end who didnt have a clue and seemed to come across as a right lemon

Hats Off to all that contributed and all those excellent peeps at HDEW lens has arrived am a very happy bunny just hope the rain holds off so I can see what it can do ;)

Back