Buying an SSD

Make sure you have the operating system for after the install imagine you do just thought I would mention :)

That was going to be my next question :) I currently have W10, how do I get it installed onto a fresh drive?

That was going to be my next question :) I currently have W10, how do I get it installed onto a fresh drive?

Is it possible to use Macrium Reflect to clone the OS drive to an ssd as i have done in the past doing HDD to HDD.

I'd rather do a clean install than clone or mirror

Then simply download the win 10 media creation tool and install an ISO into a USB thumb drive and away you go.

Aha, sounds easy enough. I will investigate :)
Does the SSD i linked to look a good deal, good spec?

I no longer use windows if the pc has oem software will Microsoft allow for the new drive I always bought retail so never had an issue though had a friend on windows 8 who was not allowed to register the OS on the new drive

Thanks guys, I've just ordered the Sandisk Ultra II 480gb SSD, it's £99 on Amazon today... good price I thought and I trust Sandisk products. I'll probably be posting again about the Windows 10 clean install!

I no longer use windows if the pc has oem software will Microsoft allow for the new drive I always bought retail so never had an issue though had a friend on windows 8 who was not allowed to register the OS on the new drive
I had that problem when I changed a motherboard but rang up ms and they sorted me out with a retail copy!

Never had it upon reinstalling os and I've done that at least 10 times (this year!)

Its definitely a worthwhile upgrade.

My Macbook has one and its lightening fast to boot and ready as soon as I lift the lid.

The work laptop (Windows) is also much quicker to boot, although still not as quick as the Mac :)

so I'm all set with the kit, and I want to do a clean install of W10.
reinstalling apps/software won't be a problem, but what about drivers, etc. which run the mouse touchpad and the Acer "stuff" which supports the laptop?

Windows will normally have some basic drivers, but you can likely DL the specific drivers from the Acer website.

Like I said in your other thread though, watch that 2nd gen intel storage controller support on w10 where Intel dropped driver support.

You should notice the drive performance being really poor on the stock Ms driver if it's an issue on your machine.

Like I said in your other thread though, watch that 2nd gen intel storage controller support on w10 where Intel dropped driver support.

You should notice the drive performance being really poor on the stock Ms driver if it's an issue on your machine.
So far so good with the install of W10... Just downloading updates... I guess I would have noticed an issue by now? #fingerscrossed

Be interested to see what difference you notice - Im thinking of replacing the HDD in my wife's Sony laptop for an SSD, but not sure if its worth the cost...

Be interested to see what difference you notice - Im thinking of replacing the HDD in my wife's Sony laptop for an SSD, but not sure if its worth the cost...

i've not put much on the machine yet, but start up and general navigation is noticeably sharper.
i've installed Adobe CC and Lightroom / Photoshop load pretty quickly (quicker than before for sure!) though I've not worked on any files yet.

plus it feels good to have a totally clean machine, and knowing exactly what's on it.

i'm going to try and be much better at storing files externally and on the cloud, rather than on the machine. i'm hoping this will help with my backup processes and keep the laptop free of junk so it performs as well as it can.

Last edited:
Then simply download the win 10 media creation tool and install an ISO into a USB thumb drive and away you go.

Is this from Microsoft themselves?

I've linked the Win 10 digital serial number to my wife's MS account, so (if I'm right) does this mean if I swap the HDD to an SSD and then use this media creation tool and log back into her account, it'll activate with the digital serial number from her laptop ?

I've linked the Win 10 digital serial number to my wife's MS account, so (if I'm right) does this mean if I swap the HDD to an SSD and then use this media creation tool and log back into her account, it'll activate with the digital serial number from her laptop ?
Yes.

Only problems I've ever had was swapping out the motherboard. But even then a phone call to ms and they sorted it (minus 30 mins of my life!)

spot on. it was a really simple process to replace the HDD for an SSD:

- download W10 onto a USB stick (from Microsoft website)
- replace the HDD for SSD
- boot the laptop from the USB
- follow the setup wizard: when it asks you to enter the product key, leave it blank and go to "next"
- you're then asked to log in with a Microsoft Account. by using your wife's, that will bring the W10 verification with it and off you go!

I'm assuming you have a W10 Home licence... in which case, don't do what I did an accidentally select W10 Pro. I didn't realise until 2 days later when a little watermark popped up on my desktop saying there was an authentication issue. So i had to reinstall again :D

Back