Buying & Developing Film

Yv

TPer Emerita
Name
Yvonne, pronounced Eve...
Edit My Images
Yes
Inspired by film users at the weekend, I have dug out a couple of film cameras that were hanging around at home and want to stick a couple of rolls of film through, initially to test their light sealing, then maybe with slightly more seriousness.

Now then, its years since I did any developing myself and I dont have space to set up any kind of darkroom anyway, so a few questions. Who best for developing mono and colour print film? Are there still high street labs or is postal the only sensible option? I dont want to pay the earth as this will be more of a fun experiment than any serious attempt at film photography [for now] but don't mind going a little above the bog standard 'Spielman' type processing.

Also, film recommendations - again, nothing mega good or expensive, just something capable around 400 speed? The two cameras, for information, are a Pentax SLR, can't recall model number off the top of my head but its about 10-12 yrs old - and a much older baby, a Kodak Retinette 35mm which still looks like new, but this is the one I am really worried about light seepage on.

thanks for any useful information. I did a forum search but most of what I found was info about developing at home and thats not an option atm.

Yxx (y)

My local Jessops do C41(print) and E6 (slide) processing and pick 'em up in an hour. I dunno if that's the same at every branch. You'll struggle with true B&W film though Yv, most places send the work out to a lab with about a 2 week turn around.

You could get one of the B&W films though which are compatible with the C41 colour process though, and then anywhere can do 'em.

I don't have space for a darkroom so I develop the film and then scan the negative.

You only need a changing bag to load the film into the dev tank. Then with the usual chemicals, thermometer, and measuring jugs you are away... :)

send em here (y)

ilford hp5 plus .

pm me know if want me to do them , dev negs and scan them onto disk

(y) thanks everyone, useful information. Freester, I think Mr Yv might have something to say if I invested in a neg scanner but good idea for future reference.

Andy, I wuv yoo!! :D Will pick up a few rolls in the next few days, and see what I can do with them. Will PM you when they are ready for your loving attention ;)

I should have grabbed that load of Fuji Superia that was on offer locally, guy was wanting 20p a roll, but I'm sure I could have got it for much less if I had taken the lot :LOL:

iv just been to silverprint today and bought everything to develop films!! the only thing i didnt get was the chemicals.. cos i couldnt cary em!! (im a crip atm!)

So Yv, yu can use my gear! we can do it together if you like! as you know im only 2 stops from your work and 2 mins from the station!...

Iv not done any developing for a while so it'll be fun.. iv also got a scanner so can do that at the same time..(y)

Of course you dont have to come to me.. :crying:

iv just been to silverprint today and bought everything to develop films!! the only thing i didnt get was the chemicals.. cos i couldnt cary em!! (im a crip atm!)

So Yv, yu can use my gear! we can do it together if you like! as you know im only 2 stops from your work and 2 mins from the station!...

Iv not done any developing for a while so it'll be fun.. iv also got a scanner so can do that at the same time..(y)

Of course you dont have to come to me.. :crying:

OK....away for a few days at weekend, and chrimbo might get in the way, but willing to give it a shot... might even carry the chemicals for my favourite cripple :naughty: ;)

anytime Yv.. im not going to be able to take piccies untill sometime in the new year anyway!!
t im going to ask about and do a bit of reading on some nice B&W film..
Its all here though, im going to order the chems this week so it'll be ready to go..

Ilford FP4 is good as far as i remember.. but im going to do some asking about and reading to find the nice stuf..

If home devving isn't going to work for you I'd get one of the B&W films that you can develop with C41 processing, like CT said, then you can take it in anywhere. Someone on here took one in to Tesco recently and because he didn't want prints made, just developing only, they did each film for 99p!:D
That, or buy one of those little Ilford processing paid jobbies and send the film away to them, you get lovely prints back a couple of weeks later but they're about £12 I think.

I got a load developed put on to disc at asda undera fiver :) for 2 rolls colour

You can get cheap film from www.7dayshop.com with free delivery.

I really like Kodak Portra 400VC (the VC means vivid colour) for colour film and Ilford HP5+ for b&w :)

I really like Kodak Portra 400VC (the VC means vivid colour) for colour film and Ilford HP5+ for b&w :)

I've just dug a roll of Portra 160VC out of the freezer. There's no date on it, and I guess it's well out of date, but it should be OK. I've also got a roll of HP5 400 Plus which is still in date. I'm debating which one to run throught he Contax.... eeeny meeny...

Well I just dug the pentax out from a dim and dusty corner of the junk room. Its a fairly basic P30n with 3 lenses - a 50mm F1.7, a pentax 28-70 and a sigma 75-300, plus a vivitar flash and several roll sof unused film. The expiry date was 2004 and whilst its been in a cold room, the temps do approach normal in Summer, so I am suspecting the Kodak Ultra has probably lost its touch and a new purchase will be necessary.

I will keep in touch with Tony and we shall source some good mono stuff for our home attempts, but in the the meantime will put a roll of colour through it to check it still all works. It seems to be totally manual apart from ISO and also has Aperture priority setting, sadly, I cant even test it on the roll that still in it as the batteries are not there, but should be able to get a couple of those tomorrow.

Now then, maybe a question for CT - the kodak retinette - am I right in assuming I can put colour film in it, being as its totally mechanical and manual. My thinking is that the film makes no difference as its not taking any information from it, only exposing to it? :thinking: I want to test it to ensure its light sealed and if places like asda will develop a roll cheaply enough, might as well have a go in the run up to christmas.

Thanks again for all the help guys, its why I love this place so much :D

Hi Yv, well done for giving it a go, im sure you'll produce some nice images with it, and its FULL FRAME!! lol.. thats nice..

Anyway, you CAN put any film in it.. no problems.. the only thing is the ISO of the film, just make sure the camera can use any films you have..

Iv just got my EOS1 out again to see if i can get it going, nope!! but iv got my old 500N also without batteries!! lol. its got half a roll still in it!! i must get that out..

Catch up soon..

(y) Cheers Tony. Wish I still had my old Praktica, I knew how to use that, but never the less, should be an interesting venture into film. HE likes the idea...I expect the enthusiasm to wane dramatically if I enjoy it too much, I think he forgets how relatively inexpensive digital actually is, aside from the initial equipment costs which were always there even with film :LOL:

Been feeling distinctly uninspired recently, I feel tha is about to change :naughty:

Now see what you've made me do Yvonne! I've gone and put another roll of film in the Pentax! :bat:

Right, i think we should set up another meet, this time its for FILM only... wel, primarily for film eh.. else no one would turn up! lol..

Im gonna get some batteries for the 500N and take the film into the 1 hour place near me.. Then im gonna find me some B&W.. hehe.. Oh, i just remembered!! i cant hold the blinking thing yet!! oh well, im getting sorted tomorrow, ready for it.. (y)

Ahh.. you beat me to it!! great minds eh Yv.. :naughty:

Watch it Marc!!! iv still got pics up my sleave!! :LOL:

:boxer:

We ROCK Yv...:woot:

oops :LOL:

I see an idea for another meet - the mega film meet! :D Wonder if those security guards will still be mentioning 'professional' kit :cautious: :woot:

Sounds like a great idea, certainly less weight to carry around. (y) This time, Andy will have to bring digital though. Then we can all go back to his and watch him develop our films for us........................whilst we drink his beer! :beer: :D

Sounds like a great idea, certainly less weight to carry around. (y) This time, Andy will have to bring digital though. Then we can all go back to his and watch him develop our films for us........................whilst we drink his beer! :beer: :D

We might need his D50 for metering purposes :LOL: I certainly will for the retinette. Determined to use this little darling if I can, it was bought by my late Pa-in-Law to take to the 60 Olympics in Rome and I feel it deerves a new lease of life. Mind you, we also have an even older Kodak camera, so ancient its about one step up from a pin hole machine :eek: Think I might leave that in well deserve retirement.

Now THIS idea i like!!! the new king.. :notworthy:

We might need his D50 for metering purposes :LOL: I certainly will for the retinette. Determined to use this little darling if I can, it was bought by my late Pa-in-Law to take to the 60 Olympics in Rome and I feel it deerves a new lease of life. Mind you, we also have an even older Kodak camera, so ancient its about one step up from a pin hole machine :eek: Think I might leave that in well deserve retirement.

Don't even know what a retinette looks like. My mother had a camera in the 50s that my sister apparently has now. She doesn't use it so I wouldn't mind getting my hands on it.

Don't even know what a retinette looks like. My mother had a camera in the 50s that my sister apparently has now. She doesn't use it so I wouldn't mind getting my hands on it.

somewhere Marc, I have pics of both the retinette and the other, wll dig them out. The retinette wil be very familiar I suspect, I certainly recall my own father having something similar when I was a kid way back in the 70's.

somewhere Marc, I have pics of both the retinette and the other, wll dig them out. The retinette wil be very familiar I suspect, I certainly recall my own father having something similar when I was a kid way back in the 70's.

Ooh very nice. Just did a google image search, compact cameras certainly had some style back then. :love: I seem to remember my mum's had a pop out lens with concertinaed leather (Like a car's gear stick).

Now then, maybe a question for CT - the kodak retinette - am I right in assuming I can put colour film in it, being as its totally mechanical and manual. My thinking is that the film makes no difference as its not taking any information from it, only exposing to it? :thinking: I want to test it to ensure its light sealed and if places like asda will develop a roll cheaply enough, might as well have a go in the run up to christmas.

Hell yeah - wang a colour film through it. (y)

OMG!! we used to have one of those when i was a kid!! i used to play with it!! the little lever thing used to make a funny noise if i remember correctly(Like a self timer whiring sound!)!! lol.. the things we remember!!

OMG!! we used to have one of those when i was a kid!! i used to play with it!! the little lever thing used to make a funny noise if i remember correctly(Like a self timer whiring sound!)!! lol.. the things we remember!!

They had cameras back then?? :exit:

:nono: Oh no you Didint!! (Said like the ganstar rap song)

I feel like some pay back is in order.. but i'll bide my time.. and when the time is right, im going to EXPOSE YOU AS A SONY USER.... Hang on.. Blast it!! i forgot.. he has no shame!!! Oh Woe is me.... :bang:

:LOL:

THIS is the retinette we have, and th eother is a duoflex, a very strange beast, one of those you hold against chest/waist and look down into the top of, an original, the later ones had a shield round that top viewfinder. Definately older then most of us here I suspect :LOL:

Back