Buying & Developing Film

:LOL:

THIS is the retinette we have, and th eother is a duoflex, a very strange beast, one of those you hold against chest/waist and look down into the top of, an original, the later ones had a shield round that top viewfinder. Definately older then most of us here I suspect :LOL:

Shiny!! :D

I've got some Ilford Delta that I picked up from their stand at Focus earlier in the year (2 x 100, 1 x 400), is it good film? Also got three rolls of Kodak Professional B & W.

I went all misty eyed when I saw that picture of the Retinette 1b.

My Father bought one in 1961 and used it heavily to document my brother and I as we grew up. In 1968 he got a Nikon F and made a deal with me.

If I could build my own pinhole camera and make an acceptable image with it the Retinette would be mine.

I completed the challenge on November 22nd 1968 - the day before my 10th birthday with a picture of a boat on the Thames taken from Richmond bridge which required a 17 second exposure (calculated by guess and hope) on my 4 inch camera with a pinhole made in a baked bean tin lid - the hole was as close to 0.5 mm diameter as I could manage. In retrospect, Dad was a bit overly generous in classing the finished result as an "acceptable image" but you could (with a little imagination) tell that it was supposed to be a boat on the river!

My own son was offered the same challenge many years later and the camera is still in his possession and in regular use today.

Before I passed it on the light seals were replaced and apart from that it still worked perfectly with the caveat that the exposure metering had slowly become less sensitive and tends to overexpose by about 1 stop.

For the authentic 60's look you really need to put Kodachrome through it!

I went all misty eyed when I saw that picture of the Retinette 1b.

My Father bought one in 1961 and used it heavily to document my brother and I as we grew up. In 1968 he got a Nikon F and made a deal with me.

If I could build my own pinhole camera and make an acceptable image with it the Retinette would be mine.

I completed the challenge on November 22nd 1968 - the day before my 10th birthday with a picture of a boat on the Thames taken from Richmond bridge which required a 17 second exposure (calculated by guess and hope) on my 4 inch camera with a pinhole made in a baked bean tin lid - the hole was as close to 0.5 mm diameter as I could manage. In retrospect, Dad was a bit overly generous in classing the finished result as an "acceptable image" but you could (with a little imagination) tell that it was supposed to be a boat on the river!

My own son was offered the same challenge many years later and the camera is still in his possession and in regular use today.

Before I passed it on the light seals were replaced and apart from that it still worked perfectly with the caveat that the exposure metering had slowly become less sensitive and tends to overexpose by about 1 stop.

For the authentic 60's look you really need to put Kodachrome through it!

Thats a brilliant story. (y)

I just grabbed a couple of rolls of HP5 on my way home, and some batteries for the Pentax. off to tesco later to see if they develop colour film and buy a couple as test rolls, then hopefully I can take both film cameras with me on my trip north at the weekend - my plan is to take Mr Yv down to Stockport Market place and play with both cameras and let him play with the D300. Fingers crossed the light seals are ok. Some sunshine over the next 24hrs would be very useful indeed.

Are they quality film though?

way to go Yv,,,and i want to se a picture of that viaduct wotsit thingy near stockport that crosses the m60 soon :) :clap: :)

:LOL: If you are lucky Andy, and the weather isn't too horrific, you might get TWO viaducts! There is the big one in the town centre, and the smaller one in the Tame Valley a 5 minute drive from where I am staying :D

Anyway, both cameras are loaded with cheap colour film, and they are coming to work with me. Will go for a walk with them if the rain holds off (y)

ilford and fuji here we come .dont look too bad at all .and i get this deja vu feeling about the first one ,,spooky or what ? :coat:

Back