Buying from america (canon L glass)

Name
Ryan
Edit My Images
No
As per thread title. I understand that buying from america say a body the warranty is void due to the way its imported, however a lens still comes with the 1 year international one ~ correct me if im wrong?

Now heres the biggie, if you have a company who is willing to import the lens from america, and the rate is good. When it lands in the UK im obviously liable to import tax/duty.

So would this be just the 15% of the cost of the lens itself, is there an aditional fee ontop of this, as the sites ive read have been confiusingly crap with info.

Has anyone been down this route on expensive glass, as obviously something like a big prime lens could work out substancially cheaper imported from the USA if the exchange rate is favourable.

Just use Kerso :)

I dont think a business would be willing to send a $4000 lens as a sample mind.

Which is why Im asking for anyone who has knowlege of the import/tax system to give information on precise % id have to pay to calculate the money it would cost and see how much saving there could be over a UK (import) seller.

In reality there could be a saving, even if its just enough to get a 1.4TC at the same time for the same monetary value as just the lens.

Check on the HM custom & excise website - it has a list of full charges that are incurred. I know when I've ordered snowboarding stuff from the US, I've had to pay import duty/VAT plus handling charges imposed by UPS. I bought £400 worth of stuff when it was two to the pound and ended up paying £47 in charges, nearly 25% but still a bargain when it would have cost over 3450 to buy the stuff over here. Of course, the dollar/sterling conversion ain't so good these days but if you're getting it shipped in by someone you know then it may be cheaper.

The other route is to get it sent to someone in the US (if you know someone) and they can send it as a personal gift to you without charges.

HM Customs: http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channels...HMCE_CL_000014&propertyType=document#P44_3927

As per thread title. I understand that buying from america say a body the warranty is void due to the way its imported, however a lens still comes with the 1 year international one ~ correct me if im wrong?

Now heres the biggie, if you have a company who is willing to import the lens from america, and the rate is good. When it lands in the UK im obviously liable to import tax/duty.

So would this be just the 15% of the cost of the lens itself, is there an aditional fee ontop of this, as the sites ive read have been confiusingly crap with info.

Has anyone been down this route on expensive glass, as obviously something like a big prime lens could work out substancially cheaper imported from the USA if the exchange rate is favourable.

I believe you are correct regarding warranty on Canon bodies and therefore I wouldn't import one...though kerso does claim his receipt does enable warranty.

Regarding importing a lens, I thought that a lens did not qualify for import duty, but did for VAT hence your 15%

As I understand it, if you travelled to the US and maybe bought a lens from say B&H in NYC (preferrably from out of state, but they won't ship to a hotel address...you save NY sales tax), if you then gainfully used that lens on your trip, and posted the flattened box and paperwork to your home address, and arrived at Heath Row with a lens that had obviously been used, with pix on the card to prove this, then my, albeit limited, understanding is that you won't have to pay anything....<fx ducks below parapit before being flamed or HMRC replies>

Belatedly I realised that you were talking about using a company to import a rather expensive big prime.....It might still be worth your while getting a cheap flight trying out what you want and proceeding as per my previous post, with the UKP running around $1.64 at the moment, this might still work for you...and hey buy some other stuff on your trip like clothes etc and have a fun weekend in New York...have a great weekend and show us your pix from the trip ;)

Belatedly I realised that you were talking about using a company to import a rather expensive big prime.....It might still be worth your while getting a cheap flight trying out what you want and proceeding as per my previous post, with the UKP running around $1.64 at the moment, this might still work for you...and hey buy some other stuff on your trip like clothes etc and have a fun weekend in New York...have a great weekend and show us your pix from the trip ;)

LOL at the price of $150 dollas to import and the fact I need a holiday it had crossed my mind. However if not ive just been trying to calculate how much saving could be had by importing ones self. I mean its the same with anything you will pay more to have the work done for you because it could potentially be an arse ache.

Which is why research is being done here. If i went to the usa I would be carrying my cameras on me anyway so it would have been taken out with me lol! But if i didnt its allways best to calculate in advance the import tax/duties ontop of the initial purchase and importing PP prices to see if there is a nice gain to be had.

I believe you are correct regarding warranty on Canon bodies and therefore I wouldn't import one...though kerso does claim his receipt does enable warranty.

Regarding importing a lens, I thought that a lens did not qualify for import duty, but did for VAT hence your 15%

As I understand it, if you travelled to the US and maybe bought a lens from say B&H in NYC (preferrably from out of state, but they won't ship to a hotel address...you save NY sales tax), if you then gainfully used that lens on your trip, and posted the flattened box and paperwork to your home address, and arrived at Heath Row with a lens that had obviously been used, with pix on the card to prove this, then my, albeit limited, understanding is that you won't have to pay anything....<fx ducks below parapit before being flamed or HMRC replies>

Can you not post the lens to yourself as a gift? Or give it to your brother/sister/bloke you know vaguely down the pub, then get them to give it back to you as a gift? ;)

I dont think a business would be willing to send a $4000 lens as a sample mind.

Which is why Im asking for anyone who has knowlege of the import/tax system to give information on precise % id have to pay to calculate the money it would cost and see how much saving there could be over a UK (import) seller.

In reality there could be a saving, even if its just enough to get a 1.4TC at the same time for the same monetary value as just the lens.
Why not Ihave a friend who has a shop and get samples of things he is going to sell you have to buy stock and its a sample for you to show anyone.

lol! set up a shop with someone :D

Just need to get some money im owed by clients and work hard for a month or two and hopefully should have a new toy.

Best to research sooner than later on the fees etc though...

Whatever you do I think you will struggle to beat kerso. I don't know how he does it, but he doesn't charge VAT.

Import duty on lenses is 6.7%, and I understand this is added to the price before the 15% VAT is applied so that makes it more like 7.7% you have to consider.

There is no import duty on cameras though, which might explain why people tend to bring in kits and then split them, assuming HMRC treat that as a camera.

You can find the information on HMRC's website.

it will be

purchase cost + duty (maybe 6.7%)
then +VAT on the whole lot
+carriers handling fee, ~£20

So about 22% + £20. ish.

cheers for the info on how the duty is being calculated. Much appreciated.

As stated I have used kerso, have ians pricelist from a few weeks back and am investigating other routes as even onestop digital are circa £300 cheaper, which is unusual at the moment. £300 is a 1.4 TC so its worth me trying to calculate

Back