Beginner Buying Guide - CANON EF 50 mm f/1.8 STM Standard Prime Lens

Name
Ronnie
Edit My Images
Yes
Dear All,

This is my first post here. Recently I have bought a Canon EOS 70D Digital SLR with 18-55mm IS STM Lens to learn photography. I would like to buy a budget prime lens for portrait bokeh photography and for YouTube vlog.

Would you recommend a CANON EF 50 mm f/1.8 STM Standard Prime Lens (£129 at Currys UK)?

Many Thanks

Ronnie

Ronnie good choice but shop around Currys are too dear. Simply Electronics have the same lens £89 delivered. Can I also recommend the 40mm pancake F2.8 really good quality lens for less than £100 as another option. I find the 85mm 1.8 at about £220 is a much better lens it gives a bit more space between yourself and your subject.

Welcome to the money pit of photography! but its worth it

There's a lovely second-hand 50mm f1.8 II going for sale on the classifieds. :whistle: Shame you don't have access. I'm sure if we ask the mods politely they would turn a blind eye to us doing a deal.

There's a lovely second-hand 50mm f1.8 II going for sale on the classifieds. :whistle: Shame you don't have access. I'm sure if we ask the mods politely they would turn a blind eye to us doing a deal.

My bad luck... do you happened to know the price of the second-hand one?

Ronnie good choice but shop around Currys are too dear. Simply Electronics have the same lens £89 delivered. Can I also recommend the 40mm pancake F2.8 really good quality lens for less than £100 as another option. I find the 85mm 1.8 at about £220 is a much better lens it gives a bit more space between yourself and your subject.

Welcome to the money pit of photography! but its worth it

Sounds like I need to buy a winning lottery ticket pronto. Cheers for the suggestion mate, I definitely have a look.

Last edited:
The STM version has the same type of focussing system as your kit lens and almost silent. Much more suitable for your video work.
The old Mk2 is far from silent, but will work just as well for portraits.
Only you can decide if the extra cost for the silent focussing is worth it.

The STM has a metal mount the II is plastic.
and improved coatings all though I've not seen a review from a source I'd trust yet to say if they make any difference!

I'm seriously considering trading in my Canon 50mm f1.4 for the cheaper 1.8 STM I only got the f1.4 for the USM and I never use it wider than f1.8 as the contrast drops off.

I'd say your 18-55mm IS STM should be fine for video work - what issues are you having if you feel you need a 50mm F1,8 STM? If it's fine, and you just need a lens with shallow DoF for protraits you can just get a cheap 50mm Mk 2. For video work, anything STM or USM (I think) should be almost silent.

Last edited:
If you're buying a 50mm buy the new STM.

I had a 50mm 1.8 II and having leant it to a friend a while ago I bought the new STM. There is no comparison. The STM is much better built, sharper, faster focusing etc.

Given it can be had for under £100 I personally don't see the point in buying the older lens. Yeah you're saving a wee bit of cash but you're losing quite a lot of significant benefit.

Neil

I had a 50mm 1.8 II and having leant it to a friend a while ago I bought the new STM. There is no comparison. The STM is much better built, sharper, faster focusing etc.

Given it can be had for under £100 I personally don't see the point in buying the older lens. Yeah you're saving a wee bit of cash but you're losing quite a lot of significant benefit.

Neil

And I expect the second had value of the mkii to take a nose dive while the stm version will hold it's value better should you decide to ditch it.

Neil

This, added to the fact that the MkII has a five blade mechanism, so your extreme bokeh looks like pentagons, not nice!!!! Buy the new one.

Back