Buying Lens in USA

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
No
I'm looking at getting the Canon 16-35mm F4 and with the current exchange rate I'm looking at around £850 in states whereas the same lens is £950 from WEX here in the UK. My main question is, is that £100 worth it in terms of warranty and Section 75 protection here in the UK? I could probably stretch to paying the £100 but would rather not, I'm just after some guidance and if anyone has had experience purchasing gear from abroad.

I'm looking at getting the Canon 16-35mm F4 and with the current exchange rate I'm looking at around £850 in states whereas the same lens is £950 from WEX here in the UK. My main question is, is that £100 worth it in terms of warranty and Section 75 protection here in the UK? I could probably stretch to paying the £100 but would rather not, I'm just after some guidance and if anyone has had experience purchasing gear from abroad.

Do you think the warranty is worth £100? Only you can really answer that. Id say yes, 10% isnt much for real warranty and consumer rights.

Last edited:
You would be just as well buying from panamoz or e-infin from uk

But they are at £780 incl their 1yr warranty. You have to factor that in also.

But they are at £780 incl their 1yr warranty. You have to factor that in also.

Of course, just like any insurance policy you consider the cost vs risk. 1yr RTB, 120 days CC protection vs Local Canon warranty, fast turn around time and possibly up to 5 yrs EU rights.... plus you've paid the taxes and supported UK business. Im not saying do or dont buy grey. Panamoz offer a better warranty than E infinity.

Last edited:
when you buy in the use you have to add tax to the price you see I looked at an iPad and in the end it wasn't worth buying in the use with current exchange rate

Are you physically buying it from a shop in the US or are you having it shipped?
If the latter are you liable for DUTY and VAT or is that included?

Are you physically buying it from a shop in the US or are you having it shipped?

It's because I'm heading over to New York in a couple of weeks, I'd be buying it from B&H Photo.

It's because I'm heading over to New York in a couple of weeks, I'd be buying it from B&H Photo.

There goes your 10% saving.

Purchases above $110 are subject to a 4.5% NYC Sales Tax and a 4% NY State Sales Tax. The City Sales Tax rate is 4.5%, NY State Sales and Use Tax is 4% and the Metropolitan Commuter Transportation District surcharge of 0.375% for a total Sales and Use Tax of 8.875 percent.

There goes your 10% saving.

Purchases above $110 are subject to a 4.5% NYC Sales Tax and a 4% NY State Sales Tax. The City Sales Tax rate is 4.5%, NY State Sales and Use Tax is 4% and the Metropolitan Commuter Transportation District surcharge of 0.375% for a total Sales and Use Tax of 8.875 percent.

The price on their website is what I converted to GBP. Hopefully there wasn't anymore on top of this :p

But I am usually a cautious person which is why the "what if" argument weighs heavy on my mind for this decision, is that saving worth it? £100 is a fair whack of money, but in relative terms to the £850 I'd already be spending, it isn't as much.

I will mull it over for a little longer while taking onboard everyone's input from this thread.

Thank you.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-09-02 at 18.45.52.png
    Screen Shot 2018-09-02 at 18.45.52.png
    34.9 KB · Views: 19

Does it make any difference? I thought you were still liable for VAT and duty on goods purchased bought from a shop.

The price on their website is what I converted to GBP. Hopefully there wasn't anymore on top of this :p

But I am usually a cautious person which is why the "what if" argument weighs heavy on my mind for this decision, is that saving worth it? £100 is a fair whack of money, but in relative terms to the £850 I'd already be spending, it isn't as much.

I will mull it over for a little longer while taking onboard everyone's input from this thread.

Thank you.

You will still need to add sales tax, negating any savings. You can claim the tax back at the airport but then youbare duty bound (or not) to declare it as you pass through customs.

If you don’t feel that declaring it through customs then you may as well buy grey, who will give you a decent warranty.

Vat and duty is payable on your return, unless bought in the EU.

Vat and duty is payable on your return, unless bought in the EU.

You'd be crazy to bring back the box and papers. Throw it in your kit bag and it is your old workhorse lens.

You'd be crazy to bring back the box and papers. Throw it in your kit bag and it is your old workhorse lens.

And if caught will be fined, pay duty and vat and can have lens confiscated.
Customs can look up the serial numbers to see where they were first sold.
And you can end up with a conviction.
Still looking on the bright side, it would be an opportunity to take some shots of prison interiors.

Still looking on the bright side, it would be an opportunity to take some shots of prison interiors.

About as likely as a three pound coin.

E-Infinity are showing at at £ 659.00 with 12 months warranty and free delivery and if its like my Fuji its brand new in the manufacturers box

yeah right. I've taken £1000's camera equipment back and forth to SA a number of times. Nobody's ever batted an eyelid.
Come in with a suitcase full of lenses, they'll probably ask questions.

Back