buying os/x question

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys,

So I've just bought GooGaBu's old macbook which has os/x 10.4 on it. I know that a new version is due soon.

Looking on ebay there are various 10.5 packs - some are listed as being for quite specific machines though. Is OS/x that specific?

I can understand that you would need different versions for ppc as against intel, but do I really need to buy disks specific to the exact machine?

Or should I just wait for snow leopard? (Is that 10.6?) I see a link on the us shop offering snow leopard for $29

If so where is the best(ie cheapest) place to buy? Or is there a subscription servcie that makes it all worth while?

thanking you...

Fair enough.

Do apple do an upgrade package? I wondered if I was better (cost wise) to do two upgrades rather than skip a version ?

I know they will be doing an upgrade for 10.6 (Snow Leopard), this will be the $29 you have seen, but will only be for Leopard users.

My guess is that the ones you are seeing on eBay are the discs that have come with peoples systems, rather than the retail disc that you would get if you bought from Apple.

My advice would be to get the retail version of Snow Leopard when it comes out in September.

We bought a Mac Pro a couple of yrs ago, i recently bought a 24" iMac & a macbook for college. I rang Apple and told them I was on the understanding that i could install Leopard from the disc that came with the iMac onto the MacPro (i knew i couldn't really, we asked at the Apple store) they explained that the disc you get with a machine IS specific to that machine. They kindly sent me a full copy of Leopard to install on the macPro & the in-laws macs & bro-in-laws mac :)
I think we will go halves on Snow Leopard and install it on our 4 machines and then in-laws too

We bought a Mac Pro a couple of yrs ago, i recently bought a 24" iMac & a macbook for college. I rang Apple and told them I was on the understanding that i could install Leopard from the disc that came with the iMac onto the MacPro (i knew i couldn't really, we asked at the Apple store) they explained that the disc you get with a machine IS specific to that machine. They kindly sent me a full copy of Leopard to install on the macPro & the in-laws macs & bro-in-laws mac :)
I think we will go halves on Snow Leopard and install it on our 4 machines and then in-laws too

Assuming you are getting a 5 license family pack of course ;)

Well yes of course ;) But Apple support did tell me when I received the Leopard disc to go ahead & install it on any machines we have/use. The 3 new machines did have Leopard on already though.
We bought 4 lots of Apple care warranty so maybe they were just being extra nice, worked out well with my student discount & NUS discount.
Shame I didn't know this when we got the MacPro, i can get £500 off the selling price now from Apple :bonk:

Back