Buying/Selling Equipment

Name
'Gramps'
Edit My Images
No
I frequently look at adverts for used camera equipment and see a photo of something covered in muck & bits and looking as though it's just been found amongst the cobwebs in the garden shed!
Why don't people at least wipe the kit off before putting it up for sale, is it that difficult ... I wouldn't consider buying something covered in 'crud', would you?

No, where have you seen that? Whenever I've looked in the classifieds on here, they always look good!

.............and while we're at it, once it's sold archive the thread!

No, where have you seen that? Whenever I've looked in the classifieds on here, they always look good!

I see it frequently but it would be unfair to highlight the one that prompted my post ... it's not yours, (which I am amazed hasn't been bought yet!). :)

I frequently look at adverts for used camera equipment and see a photo of something covered in muck & bits and looking as though it's just been found amongst the cobwebs in the garden shed!
Why don't people at least wipe the kit off before putting it up for sale, is it that difficult ... I wouldn't consider buying something covered in 'crud', would you?
Totally agree, it doesn't inspire buying confidence.

I've just archived most of my for sale threads - forgive my ignorance but I didn't realise that was the protocol as I'm a relatively new boy on the block...but I do now.
I agree, it does get blocked up with spent threads which are annoying when you're looking through.
There's no excuse for selling dirty kit, I'm sure the people selling it wouldn't want to buy items that needed attention so why sell it that way?
I have to say that all my experiences trading here have been good ones and hope my recipients feel the same way.
It's a shame when it doesn't end that way though, I guess that's why we have feedback, it allows people to express their feelings accordingly, good or bad.

I see it frequently but it would be unfair to highlight the one that prompted my post ... it's not yours, (which I am amazed hasn't been bought yet!). :)

Haha so am I!!! Just before I put it up, literally a few days before, 2 sold for £280. I've had to go to 215!!! Crazy price drop! Still, I know it's not mine as I did mine in the studio under proper lights to show it to its full potential...not that it seems to have helped!

If someone doesn't have the care to at least wipe off an item their selling it'd certainly put me off buying from them as just shows a lack of care in general for how they treat things.

Totally agree with this, there should be a sticky at the top of the page, even established users sometimes "forget" to archive threads.

If we're having a rant about used items I hate how 'mint condition' is used FAR too much to describe items that are far from mint. Mint means 100% blemish free and indistinguishable from new (except shutter count obviously). If it has a small scratch or nick on it etc it's not mint, or immaculate for that matter :mad:

:p

In the thread title there is a prefix that say's sold.
(Thread tools > edit.)
It would be nice is people used that at least.

Anything with no activity for two weeks auto archives,
That's to give the chance to leave feedback, as you can't do that once archived.

Not necessarily on the classifieds on here, but on second hand sites. Puts me off when cameras are photographed without the body cap on, also when there is no box or manuals etc are lost. Also when people say, need to sell camera as it is just collecting dust :eek: . I tend to skip by these type of adverts.

I have received lenses from ebay in terrible condition dusty and dirty with actual mud, and recently bought a camera on gumtree that hasn't been cleaned in good few years, that usually goes against the seller as at the end of the day will attract less buyers and potentially lower the price for the sake of wiping with your sweater for example which takes like 5min. Maybe by showing how dusty the camera is they are trying to express the reason they are selling it for :D

In the thread title there is a prefix that say's sold.
(Thread tools > edit.)
It would be nice is people used that at least.

Anything with no activity for two weeks auto archives,
That's to give the chance to leave feedback, as you can't do that once archived.

Good job I read that! I just came on here to change it to sold and archive. Didn't consider that I wouldn't be able to give/receive feedback after I'd done that?

Didn't consider that I wouldn't be able to give/receive feedback after I'd done that?
Correct.
Just change it to sold until feed back has been exchanged (y)

Last edited:
Can someone give me simple instructions on how to leave feedback after a successful purchase please. Have done a search but can't find anything explicit (or maybe it's my addled grey cells! :()

Ive found that with buying cars. People who don't even Hoover their car they are selling when I've bought one privately.

Luckily all gear I've bought here and sold has been in great condition. Wouldn't buy it otherwise.

Can someone give me simple instructions on how to leave feedback after a successful purchase please. Have done a search but can't find anything explicit (or maybe it's my addled grey cells! :()
Under the persons name in the classified advert you purchased stuff from or sold to them you will see "add feedback" under the username. Don't forget to copy the link in your browser first as you need to add a link to the actual advert.

What makes me laugh is the multitude of ads for £1k+ cameras and lenses listed with no pictures. How can you list stuff on a photography forum with no pics? Then the ads posted weeks ago, bumped daily, where the seller promised to post a pic the following day and never did. Or the ones with out of focus, seriously bad pics that my 7 y/o son wouldn't be seen dead posting anywhere, let alone a photography forum. I avoid such sellers like the plague because I figure if they treat an ad for expensive equipment with such flippancy and lack of care, they quite possibly treat their equipment in the same way. And how should they be trusted to carefully pack and post something? Either way, I'm not taking the chance.

Under the persons name in the classified advert you purchased stuff from or sold to them you will see "add feedback" under the username.

No "add feedback" under the username in the advert that I purchased from.

I'm sure I received feedback yesterday for an item I'd sold and already archived..
Perhaps the man with the spanners has changed it then,? as we got so many RTM's "I can't leave feedback" in the archive.
We had to move the sale back to the sales section until completed. and then move it back again :rolleyes:

The ones that get me (mostly on Ebay) is the photographer selling his kit to upgrade to a newer system that can't even get the photos of the stuff he is selling in focus.
It's a bit like at work where we have 3 or 4 white sticks in lost property that obviously belong to people with limited sight ... how the hell did they get home?

Perhaps the man with the spanners has changed it then,? as we got so many RTM's "I can't leave feedback" in the archive.
We had to move the sale back to the sales section until completed. and then move it back again :rolleyes:

Think he must have. I always archive my threads as soon as the other party tells me the item has arrived and they're happy campers.

No, the other one from Pastyman.
Right I have now found it, Patsyman has gone over the 50/50 classified rule, until that drops below,
he can neither receive or leave feedback.

Think he must have. I always archive my threads as soon as the other party tells me the item has arrived and they're happy campers.
That make our job a little easier in that case (y)

If you follow this link to his stats page:

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/members/pastyman.56579/

Look left and under the last feedback on the list. There is a link "add feedback".
Click it and you get an error

Just learnt something new there! Didn't know that existed.
There was a massive discussion thread about it, started 10 months ago

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/classifieds-forums-an-important-announcement.584664/

Thanks for the help, Cobra, I will learn how to use the forum properly, honest guv!

Back