Buying the 300 f/4 L IS if you already own the 100-400 L IS?

Edit My Images
Yes
I'm going to need some help working this one out......

As my sig suggests I mostly shoot military aviation and my 100-400 L IS on a 40D is my usual setup.

Now, the 100-400 L IS does a good job of it but I have found myself struggling for light on a number of occasions forcing me to use ISO settings a lot higher than I want to in order to get the shutter speed I need. Add to this the cross type focus points on the 40D coming into play at f/5.6 I've been wanting a faster lens for a while.

The obvious answer would be the 300 f/2.8 L IS but I can't afford it :(

The 300 f/4 L IS gives me an extra stop, slightly better focusing speed, slightly better sharpness but is it worth it?

Gord
The 300mm F4 is a corker. As I am shure you know the 100-400mm is a bit soft from 350mm onwards. I am a big fan of fixed focal length lenses. I find that for Aircraft it forces me to assess the shot and wait until full frame then take a couple of shots from the front then a couple from behind. Now I get one or two really good keepers. With the zoom I found that if I tried panning and zooming I got 5 or 6 very average shots. Of course the Zoom comes into its own when trying to get static aircraft full frame.
BTW there is a Sigma 300 2,8 on the forum for £700. but i would be quick. :canon:
Retro

I've shot some aviation stuff with the 300mm f4 'L' both with and without a 1.4x convertor it's amazing in either guise focus speed and image quality is stunning I really wouldn't be without mine.

Alan

Thanks guys. Good to hear that I wouldn't be wasting my money.

@Retro, I have been thinking the same way as you for a while now. I've been locking my 100-400 L IS off a particular focal length and using it as an (adjustable) "prime" so getting a real 300mm prime is attractive.

Now, I just need the 2008 Canon cashback deal to include the 300 f/4 L IS :D

sold the 300mm f/4 is only a few months ago

best lens ive ever held or used imo for me todate..

so yes i would not hesitate getting another...

only sold mine due to personal reasons " to many kids not enough jobs"

md(y)

Back