Buying used equipment

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
Since really enjoying my last studio shoot I have had a radical change in direction of where I want to go with photography. Previously I was mainly interested in wildlife and motorsport, but now I want to do more in the studio.

So, this has also changed my thinking about moving forward with a new camera. I had my heart set on a 40D, but now I'm feeling the pull of the luxury that is "full frame", and want a 5D instead.

So, I have set a budget of around £2k, for the following:

17-40 f4 L
24-105 f4 L
EOS 5D body
Grip for above​

This is going to push me into "used" territory for the 5D. I've been looking on Ebay at used kit, and I think that I could find one at the right price, but wondered if anybody could suggest any retailers that generally have a good selection of used equipment, and what your thoughts are on buying such an expensive item "2nd hand". ??

If I decide to save for a bit more and get a new 5D, maybe the 5D Mk II will be here then (but I won't hold my breath)

Thanks,
Steve

Steve, I don't have an opinion about the merits of buying second-hand (having said that, I did buy a 200mm f/1.8L second-hand!) but there are a few reputable dealers around who concentrate on used stock.

MPB Photographic is one that springs to mind. The London Camera Exchange is another. Plus, lots of "traditional" family firms such as Mifsuds and Ffordes have extensive used stocks.

Mifsuds have a 5D body for £849:

http://www.mifsuds.com/usedpriceindex.htm

I got a D200 off them this week its mint, I live in Burnley and they're in Devon did a Part X for my Fuji S2 Pro all by email and post well chuffed with the service.

I've bought quite a bit of used stuff from Ffordes, one of the biggest retailers of used camera equipment in the country. I find them very accurate in their descriptions of the condition of the items they advertise.

FFORDES

Thanks for the feedback.

Anything in particular I should look at when buying a used 5D ?

Steve

have you looked at the london camera exchange.
theyve got shops all over . our local one in nottingham had a 5d in recently for about £750.
we recently upgraded from a 30d to a 5d. good decision.
the 24-105 is awesome. we paid £2700 at focus for the 5 , a 24-105 and a 100-400. and got £270 cashback.
the best bet is dealers, who will at least offer a short cover period if it all goes breasts upermost. buy private , and you have no comeback.
the regular members on her excepted of course. i hope.
have you tried (HIM) yet?
kerso cam get excelent deals on new kit.
we havent had our 5 long enough to now what probs may arise. good condition and no evidence of drops is a start.
if poss, try it out.in the shop with a lens on it. has to beL as you know.
sigma do some lenses (dg,s isnt it?) suitable for the 5 too. the 18 mm fish eye is AWESOME.

Back