Buying used lenses on eBay

Edit My Images
Yes
Am I right to be cynical when looking at a used lens on eBay if there is only a "stock" photo or the photos show the lens with the front and rear caps on? An awful lot of the listings seem to do this, whenever I've sold I've made sure there are good shots of the front and rear elements. Surely that's common sense if you want to get the best price for what you are selling?

I'm normally dubious too, I like to see what it is I'm buying.

Unfortunately, eBay users and common sense don't seem to go together as often as we would like.

Yup, I'd never buy with a stock photo, puts me off straight away. I'd definitely want front and rear element shots but for some people that might be a challenging shot, esp if they haven't got another lens to shoot with or have limited skills... I much prefer to buy kit from this here to be honest.

Am I right to be cynical when looking at a used lens on eBay if there is only a "stock" photo or the photos show the lens with the front and rear caps on? An awful lot of the listings seem to do this, whenever I've sold I've made sure there are good shots of the front and rear elements. Surely that's common sense if you want to get the best price for what you are selling?

eBay has actually been taking steps to resolve these issues, you're not supposed to be using a stock photo unless you're selling a new item and they're trying to force people into using high resolution images, small things but they should improve standards eventually.

I'd treat this in either two ways:

A. If I wanted to know exactly what I'm getting beforehand and not waste any time then I'd simply wait for an auction where the seller has taken the proper time and trouble to give good pictures and an accurate description (depending on what you want you may be waiting a while).

B. If you don't mind a little more work this is actually a good way to get cheaper kit, best case scenario it turns up in great condition and you saved money because they did a bad job of listing it (the worse the auction listing the less bids it usually gets). Worst case scenario the stock photo was used to conceal issues but as eBay generally sides with the buyer you should be fully covered as you can request a partial refund or a return at the buyers cost (assuming it's not as described / faulty etc).

So option B may waste a bit of time but you can turn a disadvantage to your advantage, most sellers who have their head screwed on right will be happy to give you a partial refund if they're in the wrong rather than go through the hassle of losing shipping both ways and having to re-list and that can work out really nicely (I say this as both a buyer and a seller). You do get the occasional nut job but the majority of people are honest in my experience.

yep you need to see what you are buying and even asking questions sometimes doesn't help, on another concern just bought a lens brand new from a seller shown as a uk seller and then received a lens from the usa not the one sold in the listing I might add and clearly a grey import why do they allow this on ebay?

These days have to be careful on ebay with a lot of stuff, I've recently bought a 2nd hand lens off Ebay but I only look for ones which are close enough to go pick up and see the lens before I hand any money over.

I would prefer to buy 2nd hand items off a forum like this than ebay, but ebay also has it uses at times. For me only if the auctioned item is close enough to collect. If they dont allow collection normally abit dodgy as well.

yes ebay can be great for used gear but I have had some real bargains but equally as many nightmare claims to sort with paypal as well, upside though this week I got a Minolta apo 300mm af 2.8 lens for a third of the usual sale prices on ebay and yes its a great bit of kit at the price I paid even if the lens needs internally cleaning

yep you need to see what you are buying and even asking questions sometimes doesn't help, on another concern just bought a lens brand new from a seller shown as a uk seller and then received a lens from the usa not the one sold in the listing I might add and clearly a grey import why do they allow this on ebay?

Did the auction state you'd be getting an EU sourced unit? If it's not as described you can make a claim to get your money back but if it didn't say surely you must have realised why it was cheaper than anywhere else for a new unit?

If you have any questions just ask the seller.
I've been looking at Canon EF-S 18-55 IS STM lenses on ebay and it's suprising how many people mislabel them
I have seen quite a few mk1 and mk2 versions labled as STM.
I've previously bought used lenses from ebay and had no problems at all.

Personally I usually only buy S/H lenses and cameras etc from the classifieds on here and from people who have good feedback.

Since the sellers are photographers I assume they have taken better care of their gear than random sellers on Ebay.

So far have not been disappointed and saved a load of cash into the bargain.

Reactions: BBR
reply to simon yes I am claiming and in-fact just posted the item back for a refund from the seller who is clearly used as a drop shipper he in the uk, the listing did indicate the item was in this country and ready for delivery, the fact was that the item was posted from a clearance company in texas usa and was in fact an older cheaper model in a beat up box

reply to simon yes I am claiming and in-fact just posted the item back for a refund from the seller who is clearly used as a drop shipper he in the uk, the listing did indicate the item was in this country and ready for delivery, the fact was that the item was posted from a clearance company in texas usa and was in fact an older cheaper model in a beat up box

There's nothing actually wrong with it being an import, you presumably bought it because it was cheaper than other UK places were offering and the reason for that should be obvious. I'm not actually sure how it works around items being listed in the UK but being sent internationally, obviously for the buyer that would be frustrating but it should result in a lot of low star feedback eventually punishing the seller.

If it's the wrong model then that's a clear not as described case, sellers going by volume normally don't do things like that as it's easy to rack up the negative feedback which will cost them a lot more than a few sales.

Well after a week of watching auctions and bidding on a couple and not winning, I went down the used dealer on eBay route. I was only after a little 50mm, private sellers listings were going at between £100 and £104, even with rubbish photos. I paid £108 to a dealer who had a full description, loads of pics and 100% positive feedback. It seemed like a small price to pay I thought?

reply to simon we all see listings on ebay with sellers stating they are from hongkong , china etc and that's fine you know what you are getting too if you buy ,but if a seller is allowed by ebay to mask there real location thats a different matter. I have traded both as a seller and buyer on ebay for over 9 years and done over 2,000 deals and in the main they have been ok.
but ebay are trying to roll out a global sales and delivery service now and I have to say its not improving the site. I bought my camera from digital rev last year and that was my choice I was aware of the risks ie warranties etc and for me that's the point

Sadly I've not made enough posts or been a member long enough to look at the classifieds on here....

reply to simon we all see listings on ebay with sellers stating they are from hongkong , china etc and that's fine you know what you are getting too if you buy ,but if a seller is allowed by ebay to mask there real location thats a different matter. I have traded both as a seller and buyer on ebay for over 9 years and done over 2,000 deals and in the main they have been ok.

I don't disagree but I'm not sure eBay is at fault here, it's pretty fundamental for me that eBay sales etc should be transparent for both parties but I don't see eBay encouraging this kind of behavior?

but ebay are trying to roll out a global sales and delivery service now and I have to say its not improving the site. I bought my camera from digital rev last year and that was my choice I was aware of the risks ie warranties etc and for me that's the point

The only thing I can think of that you're describing here are the fixed postage fees (as in a US seller can send to the eBay postal place and they'll guarantee it goes overseas at a fixed cost etc), what are you referring to specifically?

I think eBay deserves a lot of criticism for some of the changes they've made (removing negative feedback for buyers, treating all sales like they're for new items, tacking extra fees onto everything like shipping etc) but in the last few years they have done a lot to make it a safer and friendlier place for buyers.

I've bought several manual focus lenses on eBay & a few years ago I won a Canon 135L :eek: :eek: Turned out okay though. I think you just have to be sensible & carefully read the descriptions AND make sure the images match the actual item!! I was looking for a Yashica ML 50/1.7 a few months ago & one listing had images of a 1.7 & a 1.4!! You of course have 'not as described' to fall back on if it is that bad hence I said read the descriptions well.

Same goes for selling. This is a recent listing of mine in which I wanted to tell & show how BAD the lens was not cover up & make it out to be better than it is/was!! - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yashica-M...350?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item41936d460e

Last edited:
hi simon my issues with this purchase have been resolved I have returned the item and received I full refund including return postage, but to my surprise I got an e-mail from the seller today in regard of removing negative feedback in return for £25.00 compensation!

to be fair, the seller has done you well, you didn't like it he refunded you & has put a sweetner your way - sounds like a smart ebay seller - very very few would do that...

I would definitely buy a used lens from ebay, just make sure you pay with paypal and from established member with good feedback and its as safe as buying anywhere else on line.

I generally have great experience with ebay, only when buying though, I hate selling last time the buyer kept both my lens and the refund that paypal ruled in his favour....

Back