Buying Z8, import

Edit My Images
No
The price of the Z8 import is quite a saving over UK stock, about £900

I'm not interested in the grey vs UK debate

What I am interested is hearing from those that have bought grey imports and where from?

The choice seems to be, SLRHUT, Panmoz and Cotswold Cameras

Thoughts please

I've previously bought my D500 and D850 from eInfinity with no problems or complaints.

I've bought Nikon bodies from both Panamoz and E Infinity and would use both again.

Do be aware it will have that country’s regional paperwork, and if it has a plug, it won’t be a UK one. But I guess you’d expect that.

Yeh, who looks at the paperwork lol.

Nope!

It's not really a problem, but there are things to be aware of like certain cameras such as Sony bodies, if bought from Japan, will be in Japanese and last I check, there isn't a way to change it to English in the menu. At least with the RX1R that I was looking at.

Do be aware it will have that country’s regional paperwork, and if it has a plug, it won’t be a UK one. But I guess you’d expect that.

Nope!

It's not really a problem, but there are things to be aware of like certain cameras such as Sony bodies, if bought from Japan, will be in Japanese and last I check, there isn't a way to change it to English in the menu. At least with the RX1R that I was looking at.
I don't think either of those apply to Panamoz sales. :)

Bought three cameras and several lenses from Panamoz in the past. All come in standard Nikon packaging. The three year warranty is excellent and on the one occasion I had to use it the issue was sorted immediately.
also if you come to sell the equipment within the warranty period, Panamoz will transfer the outstanding warranty to your buyer.
Excellent after sales service.

Another vote for Panamoz having used them a number of times in the past and always been very happy with the service.

My last Nikon body from E Infinity had a UK manual and plug..

Bought two Nikons from Panamoz over the years (D7200, D750), both had multi language manuals in them, and an English plug on the charger.

My last Nikon body from E Infinity had a UK manual and plug..

Hope the plug was a real one and not an HK-sourced US/UK-pin adaptor. Some of the adaptors they sell out there have live parts exposed... Doesn't bother me much, I have super dry high resistance skin, but many people would get a belter of a shock.

HK plugs are nominally the same as UK, but with a lot less adherence to standards and/or quality control.

No adaptor, it's a UK plug with BSI kitemark, sealed in the bag with the (genuine Nikon) battery charger. I only bought the camera a couple of weeks ago, hence I know.
Hope the plug was a real one and not an HK-sourced US/UK-pin adaptor. Some of the adaptors they sell out there have live parts exposed... Doesn't bother me much, I have super dry high resistance skin, but many people would get a belter of a shock.

HK plugs are nominally the same as UK, but with a lot less adherence to standards and/or quality control.

Is that from 1st hand experience

Sorry to take the thread on a slight tangent but I was wondering… Panamoz offer a 3 year warranty which looks great but is this via UK ‘official’ repair centres or is it a return to HK thing?

Last edited:
Sorry to take the thread Ona slight tangent but I was wondering… Panamoz offer a 3 year warranty which looks great but is this via UK ‘official’ repair centres or is it a return to HK thing?
Good question

Quote...
All warranty issues are handled locally with any authorised repair centre.

Last edited:
Is that from 1st hand experience
It's just typical of anything from HK or Shenzhen. It comes with a US type plug and an adaptor not unlike the picture attached where the pins aren't quite the right dimensions and there is no fuse as mandated by BS1363/IS411, made of plastic of unknown flammability and the live conductors are easily touchable by an adult hand (more so by a child)

Attachments

• download.jpeg
    download.jpeg
    8 KB · Views: 2
It's just typical of anything from HK or Shenzhen. It comes with a US type plug and an adaptor not unlike the picture attached where the pins aren't quite the right dimensions and there is no fuse as mandated by BS1363/IS411, made of plastic of unknown flammability and the live conductors are easily touchable by an adult hand (more so by a child)
So no then. To be fair mdpF2 is in a better position to comment

@petrolhead actually I've received a number of them from the Far East. All decanted nearly into the bin.

Big Clive shows more dangers of them... Unusually for him there's no flaming Chinese items on show.

View: https://youtu.be/ESIzuV6kdWY
I am aware of the poor quality Chinese adaptors. I agree that the bin is the best place for them. Obviously mdpF2 has bought from E Infinity and it came with a UK plug. I will ask Panamoz if theirs do, however this would not put me off buying

Ok - specifics yes I've had one of the adaptors via e-Infinity (1 sale, 1 example), not from Panamoz (3 sales, 0 examples)

I would suggest staying away from e-infinity. They're fine as long as you don't have any issues. There's plenty of reports if you search this forum and I personally know people who've had a lot of trouble with warranty claims or after sales support.

Panamoz seems to get the best reviews.

On my statistically insignificant sample - yes. Possibly depends where exactly the stock is sourced and if they include a relevant mains lead or not. Check it has a fuse in the lead etc and that the fuse is actually a fuse and is in the circuit... But you know that.

Sorry to take the thread on a slight tangent but I was wondering… Panamoz offer a 3 year warranty which looks great but is this via UK ‘official’ repair centres or is it a return to HK thing?
In the one occasion I had a Panamoz sourced camera that needed repair, I was advised to get a quote from a Nikon approved repairer. On providing proof of the quote I was paid in advance by Panamoz.

In the one occasion I had a Panamoz sourced camera that needed repair, I was advised to get a quote from a Nikon approved repairer. On providing proof of the quote I was paid in advance by Panamoz.
I had a similar experience of needing a Nikon camera repaired. Sorted a quote and this was paid for by the supplier with no fuss…… E-Infinity.

I had a similar experience of needing a Nikon camera repaired. Sorted a quote and this was paid for by the supplier with no fuss…… E-Infinity.
Glad it worked well for you.
I don't think I have ever heard a word of dissatisfaction with Panamoz (Trustpilot 5*) service or warranty (3 years transferable) whereas there are reports of problems with e-infinity warranty and delivery (Trustpilot 4*). :)

Glad it worked well for you.
I don't think I have ever heard a word of dissatisfaction with Panamoz (Trustpilot 5*) service or warranty (3 years transferable) whereas there are reports of problems with e-infinity warranty and delivery (Trustpilot 4*). :)

A report I read just last week about a warranty claim gone wrong with e-inifinity

Just to add to the glowing reports of Panamoz warranty,

I had a camera that developed a little fault with one of the control dials so emailed Panamoz (whom I bought from) without realising I was a few weeks outside of their three year warranty. I apologised as I had made an error but they still went halves with me on the repair. Sadly, the only two new things I have bought in recent years they didn't stock (bought on launch days) so I had to use UK suppliers.

Panamoz - bought Z kit, lenses and several DSLRs and lenses from them. Used to use Hdew until they stopped selling Nikon.

Both have UK based usually 3 yr warranties. They tend sometimes to be a bit more expensive but you are paying for a functioning warranty.

e-infinity - its a crap shoot: had an issue with a PL 100-400 which I returned to them and they stalled for months till I hit them with a Paypal claim ( when they did Paypal )

Tried them again this year - this time for a Sony G 20/1.8. Funny - they mailed me to say that the conseigment had been impounded by EU customs ( who are they ?? ) and offered either to wait or a full refund. I chose a refund which they settled double quick. Maybe they belatedly realised that I was an unwanted customer?

Actually - it was stupid of me buying a lens from them - what if I found it to be decentered ? how many decades would that have taken to sort out ? Now buying used from UK dealers eg MPB: sent two copies of a lens back till I got a good one - all transactions together completed within a working week - super fast.

They ( e-infinity ) are box shifters - their warranty is dubious to say the least. Assume you are buying without any comeback would be my advice

Last edited:
Back