Buzzard & Swallow in Flight

dinners

In Memoriam
Name
Phil
Edit My Images
Yes
Went for a wander today and managed to grab a couple of flying shots.

Buzzards
7818222450_77c42d87c3_c.jpg

7818213788_4d92c92979_c.jpg

Swallow with a Cranefly type thing
7818205002_134485f1b5_c.jpg

Last edited:
Those buzzard shots are wicked! (y) Really like the light coming through on the second

I only made my first sighting of them recently.

Thanks for looking. The light seemed odd in that one.

Nice shots Phil, number 1 though for me due to all the detail on the underside of the buzzard.

Cheers folks

these are fantastic.love number 2 especially.what kit were you using?

These were taken using a Canon 40D and Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L

I'd gone out to photograph Buzzards. Normally I'd use the 1D2 for Swallows due to the better AF.

Nice shots Phil, number 1 though for me due to all the detail on the underside of the buzzard.

I was pleased with the detail in the first. It was close (not a crop) so that helped.

Last edited:
Wasn't sure about this one so had a go at cleaning it up a bit.

7833541344_c79faebdc5_c.jpg

I like that too Phil. Just softening the background with the blur brush really helps though ;)

Cracking set Phil, number 1 for me as well, I too like the underwing detail. There is something about the lighting on number 2, I agree, and its a lot different to the first one in colour, still a nice detailed shot. Swallows are so quick you did well to stop this one, but for me the composition doesnt quite work. The last one is again a good Buzzard picture, its a shame the BG is a bit fussy, but hey, you cant ask them to fly where you want them to, who are we to be so picky. Overall its a great set and thanks for sharing (y)

Thanks folks.

Trev - this years White Tailed Sea Eagle release (6 for 2012) has gone ahead over the last 24 hrs. PM'd you.

Last edited:
Nice Buzzard shots there well done, i have quite a few BIF Buzzard shots but just cant get that close which is so important for that kind of clarity i mostly have to crop a fair bit. They are very wary and not easy to get near in the wide open spaces here. (y)

Thanks for the comments folks

Nice Buzzard shots there well done, i have quite a few BIF Buzzard shots but just cant get that close which is so important for that kind of clarity i mostly have to crop a fair bit. They are very wary and not easy to get near in the wide open spaces here. (y)

The first was quite close Antony - normally I have to crop a lot which isn't ideal with my camera bodies as i don't have the resolution. Your 7D should cut you some slack ?

Like most things it's about percentages. I'm no expert but I've worked out a spot that (given a bit of patience) will get me close shots providing I can manage the pins and needles of sitting tight ;)

Last edited:
Good set of the Buzzard Phil especially that last one (y) Did you have a bit of shutter lag on the Swallow :D ;)

Back