bw or colour?

Name
Jason
Edit My Images
Yes
hi going to try my hand at some Street candids.I've noticed a lot is done in bw.Am i better to shoot colour then convert to bw or just shoot bw?
thanks in advance

I'd shoot in colour- for two reasons...

Why limit yourself to b&w in advance?

If you shoot in colour you can convert to b&w in processing and do a far better job than relying on the camera version of b&w.

if you set the camera to shoot B&W you are immediately limiting the dynamic range that the camera will pick up. Shooting in colour will pick up everything - then you decide afterwards how you want to tone it in B&W (y)

You could always shoot RAW and set your camera to black and white- that way you would get the black and white image on the camera display but you would have the RAW image in colour so you could process it either way

What JulesP said as being able to see the b&w image on the rear screen is a help in understanding what the finished reult will be, yet you'll still have the colour raw for all the tweaking you could wish for.

B&W, it's cheaper to develop and easier, considering you don't really have to worry about temperature.

Oh, wait... :p

As with everyone else, I'd be shooting in RAW and doing the B&W conversion later.
It lets you play about with colour, B&W, selective colour etc etc without ever losing any image data.

hi going to try my hand at some Street candids.I've noticed a lot is done in bw.Am i better to shoot colour then convert to bw or just shoot bw?
thanks in advance

hi

i'm familiar with photoshop cs, (tho no longer posses it) but VERY new to elements 9, and lightroom 3. i'm trying to find how to restore very faded sepia photo's back to life by converting them to black and white, with either the software, or the lesson books that i bought with them.

any advice please.

from jan

Converting to B&W is not always the good choice. So just take photos in color then compare.

In some cases, both color and B&W are good. So keep them both.
For example, this is my shot recently. To me (well, to my opinion) both color and B&W are good. So I keep them both. It's not actually B&W but somehow can be call monotone.

5520836844_3d80f4f0e3_z.jpg

I agree with the general consensus. I prefer to shoot in colour and then see if it is better in B&W. Usually around 65% of my photos end up in B&W.

By the way, I have recently started to use Nik Silver Effects (I use aperture) and realized why it is so recommended. It does help a lot to make conversions that look truly B&W.

Converting to B&W is not always the good choice. So just take photos in color then compare.

In some cases, both color and B&W are good. So keep them both.
For example, this is my shot recently. To me (well, to my opinion) both color and B&W are good. So I keep them both. It's not actually B&W but somehow can be call monotone.

5520836844_3d80f4f0e3_z.jpg

i really good shot, which lens have you used and have you worked with aperture for the color processing?
are you working canon or nikon, just per curiosity

Back