Bwahaha! Godox AK-R1 snoot mod...

sk66

Advertiser
Name
Steven
Edit My Images
Yes
I have the Godox AD200 round head and the AK-R1 accessory kit. I bought the round head so I could use the kit; I also have the adaptor that allows me to use the kit on my speedlight as well. And I bought the kit primarily for the barn doors, grid, and snoot (and because it was all rather inexpensive). Unfortunately, the snoot is both too short and too wide to really be of much use IMO... so I found a cheap/easy solution. It's a $16(US/delivered) adjustable iris that opens from 1.5mm to 23mm. The key is that the snoot has a 35mm inner diameter, and the iris has a 37mm outer diameter; it's a nice snug fit.

IMG_20200621_110900103.jpgIMG_20200621_110841340.jpg

Now that is useful!
I suggest you DO NOT attempt to glue it in place; if any glue seeps into the mechanism it will be ruined... yeah, I wound up buying two of them :rolleyes:. Besides, metal and rubber don't really glue together very well.
(If I were to do it again, I would probably install it with the other side facing out and simply cut a slit for the lever to stick through, rather than relieving the front edge like I did)

Last edited:
Very cool mod Steven (y)

And it works as prescribed?

Very cool mod Steven (y)

And it works as prescribed?
Absolutely; if you want really small (area) and/or really hard light, this will do it. I was a little fast and loose with the razor knife, but there's no issues. If I want to put the snoot in its' storage box collapsed the iris pops out; but that's no big deal.
You could just push it into the snoot opening and not cut it at all...

Edit: It's not as good as an iris behind a fresnel lens, but for the price it's well worth it IMO... especially since the snoot is so marginal w/o it.

Last edited:
Me too :) Think I'll make a telescoping tube to mount it in - or it may actually fit in the large flash projector (which has a focusing lens on the front).
IDT there's any real need for the tube to telescope/extend... there's no real benefit. But a short rigid tube might make a better mating interface rather than cutting/slitting the end of the snoot.

IDT there's any real need for the tube to telescope/extend... there's no real benefit. But a short rigid tube might make a better mating interface rather than cutting/slitting the end of the snoot.
It will allow some control over how defined the edge is - that's about it.

It will allow some control over how defined the edge is - that's about it.
I'm pretty sure that's more about how close the opening is to the subject isn't it? I.e. you can have the same control by moving the light.
If you have an S-type Bowens mount and one of those inexpensive $50 fresnel attachments, I think the short snoot/aperture will fit inside it and be the best of both worlds (I have them, but haven't tried it).

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure that's more about how close the opening is to the subject isn't it? I.e. you can have the same control by moving the light.
If you have an S-type Bowens mount and one of those inexpensive $50 fresnel attachments, I think the short snoot/aperture will fit inside it and be the best of both worlds (I have them, but haven't tried it).

Yes the sharpness of the edge shadow cast by the hole is also affected by the distance to the subject from the whole light+aperture arrangement - sometimes you don't want the whole thing closer :) I agree it would be much more effective used as a GoBO behind some form of lens though - I think I can fit it in my large projection attachment (and I feel dirty now - I had to search "optical snoot" to find that listing, and it has the word "focalize" in the title.. :p .).

Back