BWC photography days v Andy Rouse

Edit My Images
Yes
Anyone been on both? Would like to know the difference between what Andy does and the BWC's own photography days.

While I'm here, anyone know if BWC days discounted to members? Little 'uns nagging to go again (for the fourth time this year) so I think it's time to join up! Good place to bump up my stock images collection as well :naughty:

TIA

They have list up the entrance and I'm pretty sure they are cheaper for members.
Plus there are other benefits such as a late night openinich you have just missed, a saturday in January and the members only lunches throughout the winter when they are shut

Thanks Ingrid. Trying to decide whether it's worth the family membership. All these things tend to be geared towards having two kids. When you've just got the one it's not such a good deal :thumbsdown:

No problem Chris I spend a fair bit of time over there, always something different to see :)
Suppose it depends on how often you are likely to visit as a family whether there would be enough interest for your child to go regularly
£120 is a lot to spend out if you aren't going to use it

Anyone been on both? Would like to know the difference between what Andy does and the BWC's own photography days.

I haven't been on one of the training days (which I assume is what Andy does) but in the BWC photo days there is no instruction, it is merely keeper-led to provide access to the animals, but very good.

I haven't been on one of the training days (which I assume is what Andy does) but in the BWC photo days there is no instruction, it is merely keeper-led to provide access to the animals, but very good.

I have done both albeit 8 years ago for the photography day, but I was with Andy at the BWC on Tuesday this week for an Owl Workshop.

As is mentioned above there is not really instruction on the photographer days. I'm not sure in limits either (I was with a camera club and there were about 15-20 of us) but Andy limits to 12, and I think there were 9 of us on Tuesday. Some of the keepers, Matt in particular, are photographers but are there to provide access and for the animals welfare. You get toured around at the times that suit, in the light that is there.

Andy, as I'm sure you know, really really knows his wildlife photography, the animals and the setting. He knows what a safe shot is, and how to push you to achieve really different and stunning images. You'll get critique (off the back of your screen), and guidance from stance, to background, depth of field, use of light, shooting birds in flight, to make you a better photographer not just to give you access and the opportunity. The schedule, settings and birds are all timed and aligned to make the best use of light. He sets you challenges and stretches your skills, technique and photographic eye.

The owl workshop is done in the far reaches of the BWC in a natural setting, and you'll have significantly longer with each species, and probably access to more species than you would in a general day. We had over 6 hours of intense shooting after food and a briefing, different birds, locations, environments and techniques and without exception were all knackered. It isn't a casual time to make a few images and relax.

I got images on Tuesday I wouldn't have made without either Andy being there, or the more private/extended nature of the course.

I think if you were an expert wildlife photographer then you'd go elsewhere to get images, in the wild and probably with the serenity of being the only person or one of two.

If you were a complete novice then you might want to get some more general experience at a photographer day so you get some idea of what you like to shoot and also to understand your own limitations.

But if you have the basics, and a desire to both improve you photographic image making skills, and are prepared to pay a little extra for more access and more time then the Andy Rouse workshops are really good value.

No problem Chris I spend a fair bit of time over there, always something different to see :)
Suppose it depends on how often you are likely to visit as a family whether there would be enough interest for your child to go regularly
£120 is a lot to spend out if you aren't going to use it

Thanks Ingrid. I think I'll be going on my own more often than not, she's happy for a couple of hours but then wants to run around like a lunatic until the owl display, which she loves. So I'll probably get the membership for myself and pay for anyone else that tags along when they do.

Back