C*** service from Dell

AliB

Suspended / Banned
Edit My Images
No
My Dell melted. OK, Ok so I admit it was probably my own fault. Trying to use a family spec PC for multiple USB's, printers, external HD's and run photoshop........."It's no good captain, she cannae take it" and then the blinking cursor of death.................

So, I need a new one. Duly ordered on the 1st July. "Can take up to 10 working days for delivery" say Dell. Oh, all right then, since I'm having this one built to take the use (abuse) then I suppose I'll have to wait...........up to two weeks..........

Well, the two weeks has been and gone and still Dell can't tell me when I can have my PC! I've emailed customer services all week to try to get a sensible delivery date sorted. The 20th they came back with. NO! I said, there won't be anyone here then, I really need it by Saturday at the latest, that's still 3 days longer than you quote...........30% more......"Well we are not sure exactly when" After three days of this I have an email trail that would choke a donkey if I ever print it out and am complaining to the customer services boss after customer services failed miserably to serve their customer in any way shape or form other than "tough" Then I got "well it has left the factory"

So a call to the courier......"Sorry, it's in Poland" WTF!!!

So it will now be next Wednesday. Three weeks since I ordered it. Nothing like 10 days. So beware.:bang:

Is this what you are getting?

fisherprice_fun2learncolorflashlaptop.jpg

:D

Yeah, except in pink :)

I only wish it cost the same. OUCH!

When I tracked my last Dell it was on it's way from Limerick to East midlands airport (about 6 miles from home) I checked again later to find it was in Stuttgart. It still arrived in 4 days though.

I have had nothing but bad experience with Dell customer service after receiving a laptop with a faulty screen. It took ages to fix and they were only interested in arguing about the point rather than offering any sort of apology or compensation for the time and effort it took to get it sorted.

I don't suppose it will make the slightest bit of difference to them but I will never buy another product from them again. They are a vile company with vile customer service. Good luck when you get it, I hope it never goes wrong.

Mine is not a standard spec so they didn't have one off the shelf which is why I was prepared to wait 2 weeks for it. I'm quite laid back and even though I've now got two weddings and three childrens portraits and an album design and poster to process. The folks waiting for these jobs have been informed and are Ok with a slight delay in proceedings.

Dell still can't tell me when I can have it. Good job their couriers are a bit more switched on!

It is a shame you do not have a back up pc to do the 'jobs'

I have heard bad stories about dell hope you get it sorted soon.

I've got my laptop which is only three months old but my copy of CS3 is on my old hard drive and I can only have one "authorised" copy active at a time. So I'll have to wait till I get my new PC and I'm going to fit two hard drives. The original with all my programmes loaded and the new one just for data.

That will be fun!

At least using my laptop as a "conduit" I've managed to download all my jobs and write them to the external HD and backup DVD's. At least I know it's all safe! :)

weird innit! I ordered two Dell laptops last august, one off the shelf basic spec, one spec'd to my own non standard requirements for certain jobs and both arrived together after 4 days, when the order said upto 3 weeks [and being Dell, I expected that 3 weeks to actually mean 5] :shrug: There really is no consistency with them at all.

If I include the one I just wrecked and the new one we have eight Dells that are up to four years old in the house.

We have had the one I broke and the c*** delivery of this one and other than that they have actually been OK but they are getting worse. I had a laptop arrive with absolutely no warning at all. Blokie at the door clutching one laptop!

Their customer service has been quite appauling this time. Complete waste of time even contacting them.

I believe Dell have closed a big plant in Ireland (can't remember North or Rep) and moved it to Poland.

We use them at work and to be fair they've always delivered on or ahead of schedule, maybe they are not quite so concerned with 'non business' accounts as such....

I cannot say anything bad about Dell.
When my LCD got a fault, I rang them up around 4PM and had brand new LCD at my door step next morning :naughty: and they took the faulty away :)
But maybe because I have Business warranty - door to door, on it ... ;)

we have 99% dell at work (400 odd machines over desktop, laptop and servers) and i honestly cant fault any of them.

you say you melted your original? how? blinking cursor sounds like a software fault to me..

service is always spot on personally as well as tech support. had a replacement PSU for a server turn up the same day as the fault was logged before lol

however we have had times in the past where builds have been delayed by a shortage of components. but this has only been a week or two.

in fact 3 weeks isnt really a bad turn around for a custom spec machine concidering how many machines a day they must build..

Dell support is another "you get what you pay for" scenario. Standard warranties are ***** to be frank. If you upgrade the warranty however the service is exemplary. We had many bad experiences with Dell at work, and have not purchased any hardware from them for over 5 years now. The hardware itself was very good generally, but the tech support from the "standard" warranty service was provided by some caricature Indians at some distant call centre.
We have just had a new department move here from another institution, bringing their Dell kit with them. This kit is covered by a "Dell Gold Warranty" which cost around £100 more. For that you talk to the contact centre in Bray, or Glasgow. (it varies apparently on the traffic throughput) If the fault is hardware related you have an engineer on-site next day.
I think it is wrong though that you must pay over the odds for something you should already be entitled to.

have to say Dell were great a few months ago ......... it is p.c world that were cr*p ..... .
this was after it went faulty after 35 days .. p.c world told my daughter it was nothing to do with them and when she got upset and was crying .. told her to GET OUT OF THE STORE .. this complaint is still on going with p.c world who still say they did nothing wrong and any internal investigation will NOT be made public ..... so we will never receive a sorry or kiss my ar*e from them .. i will never step inside p.c world again ... other than to waste their time with orders i have no intention of placing once all the paper work is done and ready to be signed ... then i will tell them where to go and why .

here is what DELL replaced the faulty Inspiron 1525 with

handed back to Dell her fixed laptop was lost and they then sorted it out with loads of up grades .. we had a 1 year warranty they have even upgraded that to 3 years with 3Yr In-Home Warranty Support, including evenings and Saturdays

full upgrade here

Studio 15

Module
Description

Base
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T6400 (2.0 GHz, 800 MHz FSB, 2 MB L2 Cache)

Microsoft Operating System
Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium SP1 - English

Memory
3072MB 800MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [1x2048 + 1x1024]

Keyboard
Internal UK English Qwerty Keyboard

Video Card
256MB ATI Mobility RADEON HD 3450

Hard Drive
250GB (5400RPM) SATA Hard Drive

Optical Devices
Fixed Internal DVD+/-RW Slot Load Drive including Software

Wireless Networking
Dell Wireless 1397 Mini Card (802.11 b/g)

Cables
1 Meter Power Cord (3 Wire) - UK

Shipping Documents
English - Documentation Studio 1537

Standard Warranty
1Yr Limited Warranty - Collect & Return

Enhanced Service Packs
3Yr In-Home Warranty Support, including evenings and Saturdays

Primary Battery
Primary 6-cell 56 WHr Lithium Ion battery

Dell System Media Kit
Studio 1537 Resource DVD (Diagnostic & Drivers)

Camera
2.0 Mega pixel Integrated Web Camera

Colour Choice
Sea Sky

Labels
Wireless Label (Dell Wireless Cards)- Core 2 Duo

LCD
15.4" Wide Screen WXGA CCFL (1280 x 800) Display with TrueLife™

Microsoft Application Software
Microsoft® Works 9.0 / English - (Does not include Microsoft® Word)

Protect your new PC
McAfee® Security Centre - 15 Month Protection - English

Power Supply
90W AC Adaptor

It's just the lack of response I've had a problem with. Three days of trying to have a sensible conversation and offering solutions to a problem that should not have occurred in the first place.

If it takes three weeks to complete the job, say so. Don't set customer expectations by saying "up to ten days" if you have no intention of delivering it for three weeks.

This will be our 8th Dell in 4 years and I have always heartily recommended them, just this one problem. I suppose it's because they have been so good that this feels so shockingly bad!

As for the old one, yes it's definately hardware, a cracked processor. Had my friendly tame engineer have a look at it (he's a hard drive engineer). HD was OK and we had already scanned and sorted all the software only a couple of weeks earlier so we could happily discount that.

I only ordered my laptop from Dell through recommendation of a friend who drew up some specs for me and he had always got his computers from them and been happy with the service. I got the 10 days delivery notice, followed by delay, and another delay and another and another and another - it took over 6 weeks. I certainly won't get future IT stuff from them.

I have to say on the two dealings i had with dell, both were bad. I ordered hard drives with them before, and for no reason they just cancelled the order. When i phoned up to ask why they had cancelled it they said that they had run out of stock, but they could swap them over for driver which were half the capacity, I declined.

The second time i was speccing up a PC form my mother, the guy couldn't match what Lidl had in stock with a 3 year warranty and a good spec, so i said no thanks. 5 minutes later he was on the phone ringing me back saying he had a better deal for me. The price difference between Lidl machine and the Dell machine was around £150 and he said he could come down another £15, again i declined and the conversation ended. About fast forward half hour, a supervisor calls me saying he can offer me a deal as my details have been passed on, and they can do me £50 off, again because it was £100 more than the Lidl machine I explained that I was on a budget and did not want to go up to what they were offering. For the next week I had someone from dell phoning me saying they can do a deal, and in the end I got a bit upset with them and asked them to not call me again, or words to that effect.

Dells seem ok, but we have had a lot that have come back to store with us (Currys) and they have had a weird problem where they just refuse to boot. When you phone dell up to see if there is any known fault they will not talk to you, as for their support they want £60. Best fix so far is a factory restore, this usually resolves the problem

I thought all the Adobe stuff you could install on a desktop and laptop as long as you only used one at each time...

So, I need a new one. Duly ordered on the 1st July. "Can take up to 10 working days for delivery" say Dell. Oh, all right then, since I'm having this one built to take the use (abuse) then I suppose I'll have to wait...........up to two weeks..........:

I had much the same experience - needed a new laptop but needed it for an event in ~ 3weeks time. Had a discount code & got a great deal on a basically standard spec. (think that the only thing I added was Elements 7) & all along the site was saying 9 days delivery - loads of time.
So a couple of days later the final confirmation email arrives with anticipated delivery the day before I was leaving (at 4AM) - i.e. 21 days delivery not 9 ...
needless to say that was too close for comfort so I phoned CS where the Indian lady wasn't much help at all.
End result I cancelled that order & was lucky enough to pick up a very similar spec. "as new" Dell laptop even cheaper on a cpmputer orientated forum & which I had in a couple of days.

I ordered a laptop for my mum on 26th June. It arrived Yesterday.

I think the problem is its the end of term and EVERYONE seems to be buying laptops and PCS for the summer and for doing their exams (as a present). Well thats what i got told anyway.
3 weeks the delivery took.

i have a dell xps 1530 that is about 6 months old now, had nothing but trouble with it.
1st laptop - Screen wouldnt turn on sometimes and keyboard was raised in the middle so got a replacement Motherboard and keyboard sorted out the next day when a technician came around my house, then about 2 weeks later the laptop refused to charge, so i wasnt happy about it and asked for a refund on it, they said they would send me a new laptop and i got a free wireless keyboard and mouse that retails at £80. Now about a month ago my HDD just died, wouldnt load wouldnt be recognised anymore. 1st phone call they told me to get the data backed up somewhere and ring back, i rang back a few weeks later and they sent a courier out the next day with a brand new HDD and took away the faulty one.
Customer Services were good i though its just a shame about the laptop itself. All running well now though :)
My mum wanted a new PC and told me specifically she did not want a dell, so i ended up buying all the parts and building my own for her. so thats 1 customer they lost.

the thing is they must have a certain ammount of reliability with them as all the health service and most of the schools use them. I personaly do not want to deal with a company which has a indian based call center as last time they were useless.

the thing is they must have a certain ammount of reliability with them as all the health service and most of the schools use them. I personaly do not want to deal with a company which has a indian based call center as last time they were useless.

indeed and like i say i cant remember the last hardware failure we had that wasnt user casued.

business support is 99% spot on, engineers the next day etc.

[a wee bitty off topic]Hardware quality is one of Dell's great selling points. The public sector favour Dell products because of this. What you must remember about any foreign call centres is that the operators are given very specific training, and are usually working through a script - they are not IT professionals per se.
As said, the standard warranty normally gets you telephone support from India, and normally RTB hardware support.
You should be able to upgrade your warranty, even as a domestic customer, to give access to UK call centres and on-site support.
Having worked for a large computer reseller though, my experience was that most support calls were software related or user error. In my current employment, less than 1% of our support calls are hardware related - the rest are down to user issues and some odd software combinations causing conflicts.
It is unfair to expect anyone to diagnose faults of this nature over the telephone, which is why the first line of support is usually to use the system restore function. It is amazing how many faults vanish immediately following this process.
[/a wee bitty off topic]
The Dell supply chain issues experienced by the OP are unfortunately rife throughout the industry. This is actually due to the way the couriers operate rather than the resellers, who have little or no control over delivery arrangements.

I'm waiting for a new laptop from Dell. Was most pleased on 16th July when I got an email telling me it had been shipped and should arrive on July 22nd. But the UPS tracking page doesn't seem to agree with that - so I phoned Dell.

It seems that my laptop did leave the factory on the 16th and that it's still on the way to the carrier!!! What are they using - pack-tortoises? How can it possibly take over four days to get a box from the factory to the courier?

And their order status service is a fine example of just how crap they are. When you try and check the status online it tells you that they're having technical problems (hey that really inspires confidence in a computer company). But it does give you a phone number to check the status. So I phoned them, went through uncountable layers of menus, then started all over because they only allow you 4 seconds to type in your 9-digit order number.

Finally I got through. And the status of my order - "Please check your order status online at dell.are.a.wunch.of.bankers.co.uk". Oh, how I laughed at their clever little jape.

I ordered my Dell laptop last Autumn, cannot remember how long it took to arrive so must have been okay. It had a problem with the screen so I returned it, they changed it and also the keyboard which squeaked. Earlier this year I contacted them to say I could no longer put up with the jumping around the page when I tried to type anything and arranged to send it back when I was away for a few days and would not need it. After a few calls, and as they had already had it back once they offered to send out a technician and replaced the keyboard and fingerpad. No upgraded warrenty purchased but was a individual spec machine. I have been satisfied with their support, if not the actual machine although it does seem okay at present.

Back